Write It Do It B/C

Gemma W
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Post by Gemma W »

I like to number steps so that I can make it clear as to what I am referring to later, ie. "the red circle from step 3". Sometimes I label certain pieces with a letter if I know I'm coming back to it later, but most of the time that's enough to clarify. Also, it helps with transitions between different parts of the structure, especially if it has tiers or some such thing.
2015 events: WIDI, Protein Modeling, Geomapping, Chem Lab

2014 events: WIDI, Geomapping, Materials Science, Food Science
2013 events: WIDI, Mousetrap Vehicle, Heredity, Food Science, Metric Mastery

Best ever place: Nationals, 3rd in WIDI
Olympus1701
Division: B

Post by Olympus1701 »

jingletek wrote:In the parameters, it says that "Pieces that are connected correctly beyond the incorrect connection will be counted in the score.

No penalty will be assessed for parts that were not used."
What does this mean? what does "beyond the incorrect connection" mean?
Thanks!
Say this is the correct assembly. I've used letters to indicate a part and = to show a connecter.
Correct: A==B==C==D==E
Built: A==C==B==D==E
B and C are reversed. However, D and E are still in the correct position so they will be counted even though they are connected to an "incorrect connection"
"No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness"-Aristotle
misterstealyogirl
Division: C
State: MN

Post by misterstealyogirl »

Hi! Are we allowed to use letters as references in the write up? Like can you say: "build it so that it looks like the letter L"? Is that considered code/ drawings?
Allinea

Post by Allinea »

misterstealyogirl wrote:Hi! Are we allowed to use letters as references in the write up? Like can you say: "build it so that it looks like the letter L"? Is that considered code/ drawings?
As far as I'm aware it's good. Personally, I do it a lot and I've never had problems.
2013-2014 Season: [Boyceville/Conference/River Falls/Regions/State]
WIDI[2/-/6/2/x]
Rocks[5/1/3/-/x]
Glider[13/8/x/-/x]
Rollercoaster[3/-/12/2/x]
Sustainability[12/-/7/-/-]
Exp. Design[-/3/-/-/-]
misterstealyogirl

Post by misterstealyogirl »

Allinea wrote:
misterstealyogirl wrote:Hi! Are we allowed to use letters as references in the write up? Like can you say: "build it so that it looks like the letter L"? Is that considered code/ drawings?
As far as I'm aware it's good. Personally, I do it a lot and I've never had problems.
Thanks! :D
silverheart7

Post by silverheart7 »

The Write it Do it structure at the inviational I went to yesterday was pretty difficult. I've never really had an issue with writing about Kinex, but it also had rubber bands in odd places, pipe cleaners, and a binder clip.

If pipecleaners or rubber bands are wrapped around something in a spiral, does clockwise vs. counterclockwise count? I figured it did, but there wasn't enough time to decide which way the pipecleaners twisted and write it down, so I just kept going.

Also, on legos, the bumps on the top have the word 'LEGO' written on them. Does that mattter in terms of orientation?
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
GoldenKnight1
Coach
Coach
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by GoldenKnight1 »

silverheart7 wrote:...If pipecleaners or rubber bands are wrapped around something in a spiral, does clockwise vs. counterclockwise count? I figured it did, but there wasn't enough time to decide which way the pipecleaners twisted and write it down, so I just kept going.

Also, on legos, the bumps on the top have the word 'LEGO' written on them. Does that mattter in terms of orientation?
I would always assume the way it is wrapped matters (whether it is a left-hand or right-hand staircase). The orientation of the word LEGO will rarely matter, but that is the kind of thing the Writer should think about adding at the end if they have extra time. No reason for the Writer to finish early since their phase is not part of the tie breaking process.
Allinea

Post by Allinea »

GoldenKnight1 wrote:
silverheart7 wrote:...If pipecleaners or rubber bands are wrapped around something in a spiral, does clockwise vs. counterclockwise count? I figured it did, but there wasn't enough time to decide which way the pipecleaners twisted and write it down, so I just kept going.

I would always assume the way it is wrapped matters (whether it is a left-hand or right-hand staircase). The orientation of the word LEGO will rarely matter, but that is the kind of thing the Writer should think about adding at the end if they have extra time. No reason for the Writer to finish early since their phase is not part of the tie breaking process.
I would think clockwise vs. counterclockwise is very important not only for overall correctness but, from experience, going in the opposite direction with strings/pipecleaners/etc would often screw up further parts of the build. I travel in one direction along a string/etc (knot on this, wrap down up and around this, two clockwise loops around this...knot here) and messing with direction could put the string in a different direction or end point than what is wanted.

I've never considered the "LEGO" on the bumps important enough to warrant wasting time on. A build two years ago at a regional competition was made from all LEGO and even without considering that particular orientation we medaled (or at least got very close to medaling, it was a while ago.)
2013-2014 Season: [Boyceville/Conference/River Falls/Regions/State]
WIDI[2/-/6/2/x]
Rocks[5/1/3/-/x]
Glider[13/8/x/-/x]
Rollercoaster[3/-/12/2/x]
Sustainability[12/-/7/-/-]
Exp. Design[-/3/-/-/-]
Bowsherman
Division: B
State: KS

Post by Bowsherman »

last meet i was desribing a pattern of a line by saying a series of "U" shapes. they circled it for being a symbol. is this illegal?
Gemma W

Post by Gemma W »

Bowsherman wrote:last meet i was desribing a pattern of a line by saying a series of "U" shapes. they circled it for being a symbol. is this illegal?
This generally depends on the judge, but a better way to phrase it would be "shaped like the letter U". That way they would know you were describing and not drawing a picture. When in doubt, you can ask the event supervisor beforehand, since it varies.
2015 events: WIDI, Protein Modeling, Geomapping, Chem Lab

2014 events: WIDI, Geomapping, Materials Science, Food Science
2013 events: WIDI, Mousetrap Vehicle, Heredity, Food Science, Metric Mastery

Best ever place: Nationals, 3rd in WIDI

Return to “2014 Lab Events”