Meteorology B

MMeteorite1
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by MMeteorite1 »

Curious, were you at Case last week? New Albany?
tboneplayer1 wrote:
emescferrall wrote:The rules say "Each student may bring one non-programmable calculator and one 8.5" x 11" two-sided page of notes containing information from any form in any source." Does that mean that my partner can bring a different set of notes than me? I really hope so, because if that's true, we can expand our notes SO much! Thx :D
I know this is a bit late ;) , but my partner and I each took a different set of notes to competition and nobody objected, so I think it's okay.
MMeteorite1

Post by MMeteorite1 »

Do you watch Jeopardy? There is a guy on now who has won 8-9 in a row, just cruching it (over $230,000). I think I could take him with the right catagories. Sports Weather Anatomy Pop Culture and US History, yep! How about posting some good Jeopardy Answers and Question in Meteorology.
homesciencenerd
State: CO

Post by homesciencenerd »

me and my partner each took one double page of info for regional and asked the judges and they said it was ok
juanton out

:ugeek:
MMeteorite1

Post by MMeteorite1 »

Looking for a fun way to spice up studying for events. Try re-purposing that old Trivial Pursuit game. Make your own game questions. We take questions from tests and resources. Catagories like T-storms and tornadoes, Hurricanes, Crazy weather, Cold and Frost and Hodge Podge Check it out: http://www.kidzmet.com/files/trivial_pursuit.pdf
meteorology125

Post by meteorology125 »

I think it would be a good idea if test makers would put more hands-on activities on tests. If anyone took the Solon meteorology test, I thought it was nice to have to analyze a surface weather station map. It makes the test more interesting instead of all multiple choice questions. You could look at a surface weather station map and predict the where the highest chance of tornadoes to form is, or where the highest storm surge in a hurricane will be. I think this shows better understanding instead of a multiple choice question.
2015 Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Crave the Wave, Entomology, Meteorology, Picture This, Road Scholar, and Simple Machines
awesome90220
Division: B
State: AL

Post by awesome90220 »

There was this one question about hurricanes on my regionals test that I didn't understand. It was like gust force or something, but all I know is that its the thing that pushes a hurricane. I know there was a correct term, but I can't remember. If anybody cares to help me find what this is, thanks.
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
MMeteorite1

Post by MMeteorite1 »

Easterly wave maybe? Tradewinds? Move it east to west. Then, there is the Bermuda High aka Atlantic Ridge that can steer hurricanes either into the gulf or up the us coast. Without knowing the specifc question, tough. Hope that helps.
awesome90220 wrote:There was this one question about hurricanes on my regionals test that I didn't understand. It was like gust force or something, but all I know is that its the thing that pushes a hurricane. I know there was a correct term, but I can't remember. If anybody cares to help me find what this is, thanks.
MHSscioly_1

Post by MHSscioly_1 »

Back when I did Meteorology in Div. B, I remember learning about the Coriolis Effect, which is defined as the force that moves and deflects moving objects based on the rotation of the Earth. We learned that this was responsible for the general movement of hurricanes. This might not be the answer that question was looking for but this would be my best guess.
2014/2015 Events:
-Compound Machines, Green Generation, GeoLogic Mapping, and Mission Possible
MMeteorite1

Post by MMeteorite1 »

The Coriolis force will turn the surface winds within the Hadley cell to the east (they move more purely N to S without it - Coriolis). As you move away from the equator, the coriolis force will increase and the easterly push will increase as well. This force is oftened described as the "Easterly Wave" Hurricane genesis does require a coriolis force and that is why hurricane do not form at the equator. Surface wind comvergence coupled with warm warm (80 F or higher) will create the lift and then instability needed. Weak shear aloft helps, but too much with chop off the top and disable hurricane formation. As the tropical storms move west within the Hadley cell (pushed by the trade winds/easterly wave) they often continue to veer right. As they approach Cuba, etc a hurricane can be influence by another steering mechanism, the Bermuda High/ aka Atlantic Ridge. Depending on it's strength and position, it can push tropical cyclones into the gulf, or up the US eastern coast. Hope that helps.
MHSscioly_1 wrote:Back when I did Meteorology in Div. B, I remember learning about the Coriolis Effect, which is defined as the force that moves and deflects moving objects based on the rotation of the Earth. We learned that this was responsible for the general movement of hurricanes. This might not be the answer that question was looking for but this would be my best guess.
MMeteorite1

Post by MMeteorite1 »

What makes a good test good? If you were writing your states test, what would you put on it? What frustrates you the most with event tests? What was the best test you took this year and why? Let me hear you weather bugs!

Return to “2014 Study Events”