Write It Do It B/C

ceg7654
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Post by ceg7654 »

For the writer, what would you say is the most efficient way to start off? Would it be describing the most complicated things first, or in order of the easiest way to put it all together? Or just from bottom to top left to right or something? For example, if you know you're not going to finish, should you describe the most detailed and hard parts first because they might be worth more points?
2016 Events: Invasive Species, Fossils, Write It Do It

#TehEntoCult
silverheart7
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

I personally started from the places I know I could explain quickly and accurately, because if I did run out of time, I got as many correct connections as I could have. If everything is of the same difficulty, I normally would pick the far left or right corner to start. It's all up to you and your partner and how you feel would be the most efficient way to build. I had a fast Do'er this year, so I was just focused on getting as much written down as I could in the time that we were given so he could build as much as possible.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
Allinea
State: MN

Post by Allinea »

ceg7654 wrote:For the writer, what would you say is the most efficient way to start off? Would it be describing the most complicated things first, or in order of the easiest way to put it all together? Or just from bottom to top left to right or something? For example, if you know you're not going to finish, should you describe the most detailed and hard parts first because they might be worth more points?
Having this event enough, I start of with saying whether to focus on the time or on quality. Then I start with the largest and most important connections and go from there. Or work from one area to another depending on how confident in feeling about the rest of the build.
2013-2014 Season: [Boyceville/Conference/River Falls/Regions/State]
WIDI[2/-/6/2/x]
Rocks[5/1/3/-/x]
Glider[13/8/x/-/x]
Rollercoaster[3/-/12/2/x]
Sustainability[12/-/7/-/-]
Exp. Design[-/3/-/-/-]
haverstall
State: MN

Post by haverstall »

Allinea wrote: Having this event enough, I start of with saying whether to focus on the time or on quality. Then I start with the largest and most important connections and go from there. Or work from one area to another depending on how confident in feeling about the rest of the build.
Congrats on your medal today, by the way. I'm assuming that was you.
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni
CulturallyScientific

Post by CulturallyScientific »

Other than materials like pipe cleaners and craft supplies, Styrofoam, binder/paper clips and other regular office supplies, straws, beads, lab equipment, and plastic toys like Legos and K'nex, what sorts of other unusual materials (or even usual ones) have you seen at your competitions?
'16, she/her, environmental-scientist-to-be: green gen, invasives, disease, ex. design, widi.

"…everything flows in an eternal present." (James Joyce)
ceg7654

Post by ceg7654 »

CulturallyScientific wrote:Other than materials like pipe cleaners and craft supplies, Styrofoam, binder/paper clips and other regular office supplies, straws, beads, lab equipment, and plastic toys like Legos and K'nex, what sorts of other unusual materials (or even usual ones) have you seen at your competitions?
There were those chemical spot plates at my Invitational. Good for WIDI because there's many little sections. Also dice, good because there's a certain number on each side. That's pretty much all I can remember that you haven't mentioned yet and isn't too obvious.

#TehEntoCult
willowmist
State: NJ

Post by willowmist »

CulturallyScientific wrote:Other than materials like pipe cleaners and craft supplies, Styrofoam, binder/paper clips and other regular office supplies, straws, beads, lab equipment, and plastic toys like Legos and K'nex, what sorts of other unusual materials (or even usual ones) have you seen at your competitions?
At Regionals this year, the materials used were Chex Mix, Cheerios, and nails on a styrofoam board. Crazy stuff.
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SOnerd »

What do you think are qualities a doer and a writer should have? I'm doing this with my best frien, and we are trying to decide who should be the writer/doer.
For example, the writer should be really technical-minded and good at explaining things
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

SOnerd wrote:What do you think are qualities a doer and a writer should have? I'm doing this with my best frien, and we are trying to decide who should be the writer/doer.
For example, the writer should be really technical-minded and good at explaining things
OK, I've coached WIDI at both B and C divisions.

WRITER:
Quick writer and adequate speller.
Attention to detail.
Sense of time (get it all done in 25 minutes)
Able to come up with descriptions of strange things.
Not easily frustrated
Sense of distance and angles

DOER:
Quick worker with steady hands
Quick reader and good decoder if the writer is less than perfect spelling
Not easily frustrated; able to move on if things don't make sense
Able to concentrate and get it done in 20 minutes
Not easily distracted by other doers in the room

THE PAIR:
Able to work together to come up with ways to describe things
Trusting that the other is doing his or her best -- this is probably the most important quality.
Enthusiastic (well that goes for all SO events)

WHO DOES WHAT JOB:
Why don't you each write two and do two and I am sure as you discuss how it went, you'll come to the conclusion of who should write and who should do! If one of you have done WIDI before (and I'm guessing not), I find that usually the one with more experience tends to be the better writer as he understands what the doer needs. Of course, this isn't always true.

Best to you!
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
ceg7654

Post by ceg7654 »

That was really helpful for my partner and I. Thanks hscmom! However, we're still pretty evenly matched. The main thing is that I'm good at describing structures with many different levels, and she's great at describing structures that are flatter. I think the latter is harder(there was one we saw a sample of that had paper cutouts and it looked super hard) but the former is more common.

#TehEntoCult

Return to “2014 Lab Events”