New York 2014

quizbowl
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New York 2014

Post by quizbowl »

It was a little weird to give out medals to the top 10 teams, but (correct me if I'm wrong) I believe that *almost* every single team walked away with one.
Last edited by quizbowl on March 15th, 2014, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
caseyotis
Division: C

Post by caseyotis »

quizbowl wrote:It was a little weird to give out medals to the top 10 teams, but (correct me if I'm wrong) I believe that every single team walked away with one.
While it's nice to medal, I feel like doing that downplays the value of getting a medal.
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by gneissisnice »

quizbowl wrote:It was a little weird to give out medals to the top 10 teams, but (correct me if I'm wrong) I believe that *almost* every single team walked away with one.
They gave out medals to the top 10 teams? That's weird, they've never done that before.

I mean, I guess it's nice that more people get medals, but that seems really time consuming to me.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

gneissisnice wrote:
quizbowl wrote:It was a little weird to give out medals to the top 10 teams, but (correct me if I'm wrong) I believe that *almost* every single team walked away with one.
They gave out medals to the top 10 teams? That's weird, they've never done that before.

I mean, I guess it's nice that more people get medals, but that seems really time consuming to me.
It definitely was time-consuming. And the PowerPoints... :lol:
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
eye.”
Stromatolite1

Post by Stromatolite1 »

My usual logins not working. The comments were way inappropriate. Even if they do have a preference they should certainly not say anything. Did the mic pick up Millers comments to Prout? I thought same thing about that.
NYC Regional

Post by NYC Regional »

Regarding the 10 medals for each event: the board voted to award 10 medals for regions that have 40+ teams registered by Dec. 15th. The cutoff date exists because the medals are ordered on Dec. 16. NYC ended up with a total of 51 registered teams (over 40 by the cutoff) and is currently the largest region in the state (now that Nassau had be divided into two regions). When I first heard of the new policy awarding 10 medals for such regions, I too initially thought it reduced the "value" of receiving a medal. However, and I will use the NYC region as an example, let's look at it this way: it would be perfectly reasonable to award a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place medal to a field of 15 teams. Those top 3 positions represent the top 20% of the teams competing in a particular event. With 51 teams, the top 20% equals 10 teams. The State Competition also had 51 teams so it reasons to extend the policy to that event as well.

Also consider that the top team in NYS tends to finish in the top 10 overall at Nationals (including winning it all a few years back); our #2 team tends to place in the top 15 or 20 out of 60 total teams. Thus, when one competes in the NYS Competition, I believe you are really competing amongst some of the nation's best. While some get to go twice or even three times, for many students this is the only time they will ever compete in the NYS Science Olympiad Competition. I believe awarding the top 20% in each event with medals is appropriate.
Stromatolite1

Post by Stromatolite1 »

Never saw so much focus on cut-offs until this week. Are these changes posted anywhere? Would teams have known that 10 would be awarded going into this weekends competition?
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

Stromatolite1 wrote:Never saw so much focus on cut-offs until this week. Are these changes posted anywhere? Would teams have known that 10 would be awarded going into this weekends competition?
I'm sure the members of the regions (region? was it only NYC?) that had over 40 members competing knew that they would receive top ten medals.

I have to agree with NYC regional on this, though. Our region of 15 teams awarded medals to the top 4. Although 4th place isn't necessarily amazing, it would still be worthy of a medal. So yeah. I don't feel very strongly on either side of the argument.
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
eye.”
Stromatolite1

Post by Stromatolite1 »

Im all for it too.
darkdeserthighway

Post by darkdeserthighway »

Will the complete grid be posted anytime soon?
EDIT: Never mind, found it.
2015 States- Invasives 10th, Fossils 12th
2014 States- Rocks and Minerals 3rd
2013 States- Rocks and Minerals 7th, Water Quality 9th
2012 States- Rocks and Minerals 10th

Return to “2014 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”