Unofficial Rankings C

Astroknight
Division: C
State: TN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Unofficial Rankings C

Post by Astroknight »

iwonder wrote:Having seen both Seven Lake's and LASA's performances this year, I'd definitely put Seven Lakes higher in that list (they've absolutely dominated Texas. like... they had a score of like 25 or something close in regionals, and they did pretty well at Wright State ;) ) However I'm not sure about LASA, they did fall last year, and while they've done better this year, I think it's a 50-50 on nationals for them and even then I'm not convinced they'd be top 10.

Now to oblige Z, if MY school get's to nationals for the first time in 5 years, we're going to win the whole thing :P (no. not really....)
I beg to differ. Though a score of 25 is basically unheard of and historic, we won't really know until State rolls around. How well did they do at the Wright State Invitational? I remember last year (at Wright State) Shady Side won, but ended up getting 11th at Nationals.
TSA's pretty cool... i guess

2015 events:
Essays on Technology, Tech Bowl, Water Infrastructure, Website Design
chinesesushi
State: CA

Post by chinesesushi »

I don't think invitationals are a good judge of rankings, as it might not be as serious an actual competition (some teams might be holding back, etc.).
zyzzyva980 wrote:C is going to be fascinating to watch this year. I don't have a lot of knowledge to their situations (given my distance) but I feel like both Harriton and Solon suffered some big losses with graduating seniors (or, in the latter case, retiring coaches). Mounds View did as well, from what I can tell (or at the very least they lost Luo, who did no small part in fueling their run to 7th). FM hasn't been as strong recently, and LASA hasn't exactly been a powerhouse (they didn't even make nats last year). Ward had the worst luck of the bunch, they won't be there. What does this mean? It's all up in the air. This might be the year that- pardon my DCI terminology*- a Carolina Crown-type finally makes a run to the top.
What are your thoughts on Troy?
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

I believe they won at wright state? And I'll admit, it was an easy regional :P but I still think they've got a real shot of being top two or champion, but maybe it's just a Texas thing...

And of all the invites I'm sure wright state is as close as you can come to a 'serious' competition.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

ckssv07 wrote:
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:I'm not sure you can put Harriton first in the nation when they didn't get first at regionals. They appear to have lost a bit from graduation and probably won't match last year's 2nd place. I would also put Mounds View in there, possibly replacing LASA.
I don't think you should put Harriton first, but you can't take them out of the running just because they got second at Regionals by five points, considering that last year was also the only time they have won Regionals in the last ~6 years.
I understand what you're saying, I just don't think they're going to get 2nd again. They'll probably finish around 8th-4th, which is still great. Also, Harriton actually won regionals all three years between 2011-2013 (Source: Southeast Pennsylvania Wiki).
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Astroknight
State: TN

Post by Astroknight »

iwonder wrote:I believe they won at wright state? And I'll admit, it was an easy regional :P but I still think they've got a real shot of being top two or champion, but maybe it's just a Texas thing...

And of all the invites I'm sure wright state is as close as you can come to a 'serious' competition.
I can totally agree with that. It was the first place I ever competed at, and it set the bar pretty high. And, coming from Tennessee, I haven't been to anywhere that comes even close to Wright State. I actually got third in my first event there :mrgreen: .
TSA's pretty cool... i guess

2015 events:
Essays on Technology, Tech Bowl, Water Infrastructure, Website Design
kentuckyfan1001
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: OH

Post by kentuckyfan1001 »

Since I'm sorta out of scioly for a while, I'm not too concerned about posing my rankings. Please take my reasonings with a grain of salt; I'm obviously not that in the know and am speculating for most things.

I have a tie at the top because I think it's hard to say.
1. Solon - Yes, Solon has fallen behind in terms of depth, but I believe they have what it takes to win.
1. Troy - Consistency is key, and Troy proves to be always a safe pick for top 4. It's been a while since they've won, and I think they really want to take back a title.
3. Seven Lakes - They are out for blood, and WS is a good showing. Texas invitationals are good, so I think they can keep momentum.
4. Centerville - Centerville has dropped off just slightly in Ohio it seems, but no matter, I believe they can do top 4. They're always safe about their events, which is crucial for top nationals placings.
5. Adlai E. Stevenson - Daniel Wright's influence is about to hit it big for Stevenson. Seeing it first hand at Solon, I know what a dangerous MS does for HS.
6. New Trier - Like DW, Marie Murphy will help. The two IL teams will see a jump with a better infrastructure in place.
7. Harriton - They will have some dropoff because their seniors were good, but still will place top 10. Nonetheless, PA is strong, and they will keep at it to make sure they keep their state title, which will help them prepare for nationals.
8. Grand Haven - Though Grand Haven fell off a little last year, it never fails to come back to place historically. I think they've never placed out of top 10 in consecutive years, so I'm not banking on that to happen.
9. Fayetteville-Manlius - I think F-M has the potential to be in the top 5, but to me (wholly outsiders perspective), it seems like F-M focuses on medalling in certain events, but they can definitely get into top 10.
10. Mounds View - I think Luo has the biggest contribution, and him not being on the team will be a slight loss. Nonetheless, definitely see top 10 as a possibility.

Contenders: WWP-South, Penncrest, Camas, Mira Loma, LASA, Poudre
Reasons for not including LASA or Mira Loma: teams that didn't make it to nationals the previous year really have a harder time placing again (see: Penncrest, last year). WWP-South and Penncrest definitely have potential. Camas always seems to be in that 11th-15th range, as well as Poudre. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Please, don't take my rankings too seriously. I'm just trying to have some fun.
-JZ Solon '12, Penn '16
2013 Helicopters PA State Supervisor
Crazy Puny Man
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

MMeteorite1 wrote:Not even sure if Centerville makes it out of Ohio. With that being said, where does Munster, Indiana fit into the discussion?
While it's true that we defeated Adlai Stevenson & New Trier at Palatine, New Trier's much more recent performance at West Liberty Salem forces me to reconsider where we stand relative to them.

I can only hope...

On a side note, Indiana states this weekend! :shock: Will update y'all as soon as I can :P
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

kentuckyfan1001 wrote:Since I'm sorta out of scioly for a while, I'm not too concerned about posing my rankings. Please take my reasonings with a grain of salt; I'm obviously not that in the know and am speculating for most things.

I have a tie at the top because I think it's hard to say.
1. Solon - Yes, Solon has fallen behind in terms of depth, but I believe they have what it takes to win.
1. Troy - Consistency is key, and Troy proves to be always a safe pick for top 4. It's been a while since they've won, and I think they really want to take back a title.
3. Seven Lakes - They are out for blood, and WS is a good showing. Texas invitationals are good, so I think they can keep momentum.
4. Centerville - Centerville has dropped off just slightly in Ohio it seems, but no matter, I believe they can do top 4. They're always safe about their events, which is crucial for top nationals placings.
5. Adlai E. Stevenson - Daniel Wright's influence is about to hit it big for Stevenson. Seeing it first hand at Solon, I know what a dangerous MS does for HS.
6. New Trier - Like DW, Marie Murphy will help. The two IL teams will see a jump with a better infrastructure in place.
7. Harriton - They will have some dropoff because their seniors were good, but still will place top 10. Nonetheless, PA is strong, and they will keep at it to make sure they keep their state title, which will help them prepare for nationals.
8. Grand Haven - Though Grand Haven fell off a little last year, it never fails to come back to place historically. I think they've never placed out of top 10 in consecutive years, so I'm not banking on that to happen.
9. Fayetteville-Manlius - I think F-M has the potential to be in the top 5, but to me (wholly outsiders perspective), it seems like F-M focuses on medalling in certain events, but they can definitely get into top 10.
10. Mounds View - I think Luo has the biggest contribution, and him not being on the team will be a slight loss. Nonetheless, definitely see top 10 as a possibility.

Contenders: WWP-South, Penncrest, Camas, Mira Loma, LASA, Poudre
Reasons for not including LASA or Mira Loma: teams that didn't make it to nationals the previous year really have a harder time placing again (see: Penncrest, last year). WWP-South and Penncrest definitely have potential. Camas always seems to be in that 11th-15th range, as well as Poudre. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Please, don't take my rankings too seriously. I'm just trying to have some fun.
Well, it's the first one I've seen with significant depth. I'm not in div C so i have no idea.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
fozendog
State: WA

Post by fozendog »

@Kentucky
Interesting... Troy & Solon will be close, but I think Solon will still win.
Poudre as a contender is interesting, definitely possible with their strong builds, but some studies are weak from last year.

My Top Ten:
1. Solon---Consistent team, but new coach could be a problem.
2. Troy---Always in the top. Early in the year at invites they did extremely well and most likely improved
3. Centerville---Consistent Ohio team, close between 3 and 4.
4. Seven Lakes---Done well throughout the year, close between 3 and 4.
5. Harriton---Lost a lot of their amazing seniors, will likely drop some places.
6. New Trier---Close between 6-8.
7. Adlai E. Stevenson---Close between 6-8.
8. Fayetteville-Manlius---Close between 6-8, interesting to see how they do without WM even at states to push them.
9. West Windsor Plainsboro South---Probably will improve from their 12th.
10. [Camas(a bit biased)/Mira Loma/Grand Haven]*

*Mira Loma---Lost by one point to Palo Alto, fighting to win and make a come back after a year off.
Grand Haven---Likely to come back from last year.
Camas---...We'll see ;)
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality
Crazy Puny Man
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

fozendog wrote:@Kentucky
Interesting... Troy & Solon will be close, but I think Solon will still win.
Poudre as a contender is interesting, definitely possible with their strong builds, but some studies are weak from last year.

My Top Ten:
1. Solon---Consistent team, but new coach could be a problem.
2. Troy---Always in the top. Early in the year at invites they did extremely well and most likely improved
3. Centerville---Consistent Ohio team, close between 3 and 4.
4. Seven Lakes---Done well throughout the year, close between 3 and 4.
5. Harriton---Lost a lot of their amazing seniors, will likely drop some places.
6. New Trier---Close between 6-8.
7. Adlai E. Stevenson---Close between 6-8.
8. Fayetteville-Manlius---Close between 6-8, interesting to see how they do without WM even at states to push them.
9. West Windsor Plainsboro South---Probably will improve from their 12th.
10. [Camas(a bit biased)/Mira Loma/Grand Haven]*

*Mira Loma---Lost by one point to Palo Alto, fighting to win and make a come back after a year off.
Grand Haven---Likely to come back from last year.
Camas---...We'll see ;)
I knew there were lots of great teams and our chances were on the slim side but...wow :o

Return to “2014 Nationals”