hscmom
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Post by hscmom »

ceg7654 wrote:That was really helpful for my partner and I. Thanks hscmom! However, we're still pretty evenly matched. The main thing is that I'm good at describing structures with many different levels, and she's great at describing structures that are flatter. I think the latter is harder(there was one we saw a sample of that had paper cutouts and it looked super hard) but the former is more common.
Sounds like you are both loaded with talent. Keep practicing in both roles until one of you starts to shine as either writer or doer.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
CulturallyScientific
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by CulturallyScientific »

Just curious, but how do you guys usually tackle builds that have a lot of "units," as in having a lot of larger components that could be their own separate mini-builds, but they're all interconnected with each other? (sorry, this isn't really clear... :( )
'16, she/her, environmental-scientist-to-be: green gen, invasives, disease, ex. design, widi.

"…everything flows in an eternal present." (James Joyce)
hscmom
Coach
Coach

Post by hscmom »

CulturallyScientific wrote:Just curious, but how do you guys usually tackle builds that have a lot of "units," as in having a lot of larger components that could be their own separate mini-builds, but they're all interconnected with each other? (sorry, this isn't really clear... :( )
Yes, they are all like little builds, so the writer must describe how to make each little thing (aka unit) and how it's connected or related to the other components. One of the writer's main tasks is to take an initial look at how complex the entire thing is, and decide how much (or how little) detail he can give to each thing. He also must decide if something must be done before something else (it's easier to put things on than under, you know!).

I know this is vague... I guess it's really up to each team to figure out the usual order of things and how much detail is needed.
CulturallyScientific

Post by CulturallyScientific »

hscmom wrote:
CulturallyScientific wrote:Just curious, but how do you guys usually tackle builds that have a lot of "units," as in having a lot of larger components that could be their own separate mini-builds, but they're all interconnected with each other? (sorry, this isn't really clear... :( )
Yes, they are all like little builds, so the writer must describe how to make each little thing (aka unit) and how it's connected or related to the other components. One of the writer's main tasks is to take an initial look at how complex the entire thing is, and decide how much (or how little) detail he can give to each thing. He also must decide if something must be done before something else (it's easier to put things on than under, you know!).

I know this is vague... I guess it's really up to each team to figure out the usual order of things and how much detail is needed.
Thanks, hscmom! If we're usually pressed for time during a build, do you suggest that the writer try to describe the general setup of the units in relation to each other more, or to focus on the smaller details, if there just isn't time to do everything? Usually we can get both right pretty accurately, we just need to work on speed... or sometimes there are just those impossibly complex or long builds :(
'16, she/her, environmental-scientist-to-be: green gen, invasives, disease, ex. design, widi.

"…everything flows in an eternal present." (James Joyce)
hscmom
Coach
Coach

Post by hscmom »

CulturallyScientific wrote: Thanks, hscmom! If we're usually pressed for time during a build, do you suggest that the writer try to describe the general setup of the units in relation to each other more, or to focus on the smaller details, if there just isn't time to do everything? Usually we can get both right pretty accurately, we just need to work on speed... or sometimes there are just those impossibly complex or long builds :(
I'd say for a complex build, just describe the bare minimum. You want to get as many pieces generally right as possible. One thing you can do is have the writer quickly give the bare-bones description and then if there is any time left, add some extra details. Let's say that the writer wrote, "The blue block is on left edge of tray, 10 cm from near edge" Then he writes everything else. If he still has time, he might want to add something like "blue block is 5 cm from white cup." If the builder put the blue block correctly the first time it was mentioned, he won't really need the "white cup" statement. However, such a statement might help him "tune up" his build.
mkb14954
Division: B

Post by mkb14954 »

My partner and I (ceg7654) are stumped on how to describe a Lego structure without making it too lengthy or running out of time. Would you know any helpful ways that the writer could do this efficiently and quickly?
hscmom
Coach
Coach

Post by hscmom »

Well, I'll answer this later, when the April 1 pranks are over.

Like THE spellchecker.

And my signature which is a bit TOO enthusiastic!

:)
hscmom
Coach
Coach

Post by hscmom »

Okay things are back to normal. So do you REALLY have an issue with Legos or was that a prank too?
mkb14954
Division: B

Post by mkb14954 »

:D No, I really did have an issue with Legos, but it's all good now. Thanks though!
silverheart7
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

mkb14954 wrote::D No, I really did have an issue with Legos, but it's all good now. Thanks though!
Feel free to PM me if you ever need any help :)
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer

Return to “2014 Lab Events”