Science Olympiad 2014-2015 Events

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
phil9047
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Science Olympiad 2014-2015 Events

Post by phil9047 »

Wait, isn't this MagLev's first year? Is it really being rotated out after just one year?
Sine functions are quite odd, to be honest.
nxtscholar
Division: Grad
State: NJ

Post by nxtscholar »

Actually, it's MagLev's second year. Thus, it should be expected to be switched out
tangentline
State: CA

Post by tangentline »

Liking the generalization! Although my high school's team gets hit by another graduation wave, these events are "classics" that the team used to do well with (in the past / went away right when I joined) or events that new members can pick up pretty quickly.
I want to work with the team another year, but nowadays it seems like a lot of team members are insanely caught up in a GPA or SAT race or simply are apathetic towards science olympiad...
YUSO
Tournament
Tournament
State: CT

Post by YUSO »

Can't give the source, but let's just say there are certain upsides to being a tournament director.

Next year's events (projected, but rarely do things change after this version) as of March 2014 are:

REDACTED

Basically, the guesses before are correct.

SO HAPPY to see Protein Modeling and Trajectory back on the list!!! (Blast back to the 2009-2010 season for me, that is)
For final results from our our Division C Invitational Tournament in February 2021 at Yale University in New Haven, CT, click here: https://yuso.yale.edu/results
Crazy Puny Man
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

Will Trajectory have like a mechanics/kinematics test for a theoretical portion? Or will it just be another one of those funny classifications, like Bungee?

EDIT: also, no themes for TPS? Or have those usually not been released until the rules manual is published?
YUSO
Tournament
Tournament
State: CT

Post by YUSO »

Crazy Puny Man wrote:Will Trajectory have like a mechanics/kinematics test for a theoretical portion? Or will it just be another one of those funny classifications, like Bungee?

EDIT: also, no themes for TPS? Or have those usually not been released until the rules manual is published?
No idea. Those things will have to wait until the rules come out.

TPS never used to have any themes back when I did it in 2009-2010. It was literally a grab bag of "can you think on your feet." The event at NY States that year included calorimetry, mass/volume estimation with calipers, Fermi-type questions, and so on. When topics started last year, they weren't released until the rules came out.
For final results from our our Division C Invitational Tournament in February 2021 at Yale University in New Haven, CT, click here: https://yuso.yale.edu/results
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Crazy Puny Man wrote:Will Trajectory have like a mechanics/kinematics test for a theoretical portion? Or will it just be another one of those funny classifications, like Bungee?
When Trajectory was last an event, it was purely a build. No theoretical portion was involved. I can't say for sure that there won't this time around, but I think it's more likely that it's just a build.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Crazy Puny Man
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
When Trajectory was last an event, it was purely a build. No theoretical portion was involved. I can't say for sure that there won't this time around, but I think it's more likely that it's just a build.
Is it just me, or is SO trying to slowly introduce more and more building events? Last year, they increased the count by 1 (Fermi --> Bungee) and now this year they're increasing by 1 too (Circuit --> Trajectory...well technically that's not exactly the switch, but since MagLev/It's About Time are both half build/half test, it's pretty much what happens)
Schrodingerscat
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Schrodingerscat »

Back in 2010 it was Trajectory, Its About Time, and Physical Science Lab (basically wind power I believe), and Sumo Bot held Fermi's slot in 2011 (not sure what Sumo replaced).
Astroknight
Division: C
State: TN

Post by Astroknight »

Crazy Puny Man wrote:
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
Is it just me, or is SO trying to slowly introduce more and more building events? Last year, they increased the count by 1 (Fermi --> Bungee) and now this year they're increasing by 1 too (Circuit --> Trajectory...well technically that's not exactly the switch, but since MagLev/It's About Time are both half build/half test, it's pretty much what happens)
You have to remember that SO doesn't classify the events into study, lab, and building. They see them as: Life and Personal, Earth and Space, Physical Science and Chemistry, Engineering and Technology, and the inquiry and nature of science. Bungee egg drop fits into the fifth category,and technically trajectory must fit into the Physical Science and Chemistry section. Like Schrodingerscat said, these rotations are assumed. The balance is kept every year, and sometimes there are more building events from one year to the next.
TSA's pretty cool... i guess

2015 events:
Essays on Technology, Tech Bowl, Water Infrastructure, Website Design

Return to “General Competition”