Illinois 2014

nomynameisnotkevin
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Illinois 2014

Post by nomynameisnotkevin »

mrsteven wrote:..... i am completely unaware of any construction on Huff. I mean I remember at state the last 2 years they were doing work on the outside and we still used it. But I havent seen any construction equipment or any indication anything is going on inside the building this semester. I mean I can check for you guys tomorrow on my way to class if you care that much . . .

I'm always a fan of split awards. Lets all be honest, no one really cares that much about whatever is going on in the other division enough to warrant desire to sit through an awards 2x longer (or at least on my old team.)

btw my saturday is pretty much open. Most of my fraternity is off at some event I'm not going to so I'm pretty much open if any of the upperclassman amongst you want a tour of the campus or just asking questions about college-ing (likewise, inboxing me is cool too). I also have card access into 90% of the engineering quad/main quad because of the stuff I do so if theres something specific you want to see, I can probably oblige

My coach did mention some construction, possibly on the inside, that would limit the capacity inside, as a result needing to split awards (crossing fingers)
Cheesy Pie
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by Cheesy Pie »

Apparently, Naperville North did not have tryouts. They had INTERVIEWS. INTERVIEWS. So I think they're going to be scrubs this year.
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

Cheesy Pie wrote:Apparently, Naperville North did not have tryouts. They had INTERVIEWS. INTERVIEWS. So I think they're going to be scrubs this year.
Youre acting like most teams actually DO tryouts.
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
tuftedtitmouse12

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 »

mrsteven wrote:
Cheesy Pie wrote:Apparently, Naperville North did not have tryouts. They had INTERVIEWS. INTERVIEWS. So I think they're going to be scrubs this year.
I would think it depends on the size of the school and popularity of SO in that school.
peter, peter, peter
Cheesy Pie

Post by Cheesy Pie »

mrsteven wrote:
I thought they did... This was the first time I heard of a non-tryout-based team.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE
Phys1cs
State: MD

Post by Phys1cs »

Cheesy Pie wrote:
mrsteven wrote:
I thought they did... This was the first time I heard of a non-tryout-based team.
Our system is based off of how well you do at invites and how much time you put into events. There are no formal tryouts
Astroknight
State: TN

Post by Astroknight »

Phys1cs wrote:
Cheesy Pie wrote:
mrsteven wrote:Apparently, Naperville North did not have tryouts. They had INTERVIEWS. INTERVIEWS. So I think they're going to be scrubs this year.

We have a system where everyone starts on the lowest team (B or C) and work their way up to the A team. Normally two or three people get promoted to the A team for state to deal with scheduling conflicts. Everyone who signs up gets to do it.
TSA's pretty cool... i guess

2015 events:
Essays on Technology, Tech Bowl, Water Infrastructure, Website Design
Cheesy Pie

Post by Cheesy Pie »

Astroknight wrote: We have a system where everyone starts on the lowest team (B or C) and work their way up to the A team. Normally two or three people get promoted to the A team for state to deal with scheduling conflicts. Everyone who signs up gets to do it.
We have tryouts (top 15 on Varsity, and 2 JV teams of 15 each) and we switch a bit in the year.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

GO GREEN GO WHITE
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

There is not a lot of space in Foellinger so we will need your students to place all their equipment, supplies and back packs on your bus before the ceremony.
^ From the ISO site. I would like to mention that Foellinger is the largest lecture hall in the University, its its own building haha. My econ class in it last semester held 1000 people in the main level (empty balcony) so its not like the place is small. To be said, 48 teams x 20 per team (with coaches/alt) = ~1000 so I can see that.

If people use the balcony, it wont be terrible. Its a cool building. Explore it.
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Cheesy Pie wrote:
mrsteven wrote:
Quick input here: If teams have more than 15, chances are there is some form of "tryout". For the purposes of this post, I am considering a "tryout" to be some set, standard method for determining the members of the competing team. Thus, interviews count as a tryout. Waiting for the numbers to thin and for people to stop showing up would not be considered a tryout.

Now, depending on if you're talking about general tryouts or formal tryouts, there is a difference as to the prevalence of both. In my experience, only some teams have formal, standardized tryouts that all prospective members go through in order to get a spot on the team. Our team does not do this, and I cannot say for certain that I know of another PA team that does. Of course, that does not mean that there aren't because there almost certainly are. However, it is by no means something that every team does.

However, nearly all top teams have some sort of general tryout method that they use to get to their top 15. That can be either testing in the events those people are interested in, gauging how frequently people come to meetings, performances at invitationals, or an interview process. Really, the only teams that this doesn't apply to are teams that get 15 or less, or maybe 16 and/or 17. Since they can have every person who wants to compete, there is no need for a tryout, since they don't have to whittle down the numbers at all. For the majority of my high school career this is what we did, since we didn't have more than 15 people until my senior year, at which point we used a combination of invitational performance and overall dedication to the team.

I'm just throwing this out there because, understandably, sometimes teams don't really know how other teams operate, and maybe this can provide some ideas. Not even I know everything teams can possibly do, but as long as a team's method works for them, then there's nothing wrong with it! There is no right or wrong way to choose a team, only different ways.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

Return to “2014 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”