Division: C
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Elastic Launched Glider C

Post by elg4 »

_HenryHscioly_ wrote:8.6 meters high, 28.75m long, 13.85m wide
how would times of 22-23s fair?
Is this information pertaining to nationals or where you practiced and got 22-23 seconds?
mrsaturns
State: MI

Post by mrsaturns »

Mr. Anderson, were you at Adrian College for regionals?
The winning glider there got 23 seconds per flight. Ours got about 19 seconds. And yes, we weren't able to get all the way to the top.

Anyway,
Our states location said that we would only be able to test from 8:00-8:30. Does this mean we aren't allowed to test in between teams' time slots?

Also, I'm having trouble with "canard". Does this basically just mean the wings that give lift need to be behind the horizontal stabilizer, and no other "flat" surfaces are allowed behind the main wing?

Thanks
Smithy0013
State: PA

Post by Smithy0013 »

mrsaturns wrote: Also, I'm having trouble with "canard". Does this basically just mean the wings that give lift need to be behind the horizontal stabilizer, and no other "flat" surfaces are allowed behind the main wing?

Thanks
In a traditional canard, you have two horizontals surfaces and both of them are producing lift. You are correct in saying no other flat surfaces are allowed behind the main wing. Basically youre flying the plane backwards. Idk if that helps but i suggest a google image search to understand it better.
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Yes I was at Adrian, the overweight gray haired guy.

From the National website FAQs https://69.36.47.6/node/474

(section: 5 / paragraph: b / line: 1)
2014-01-02 01:38 What are the exact specifications needed for a glider to be considered a Canard Configuration?

There are two horizontal aerodynamic surfaces in elastic launch gliders. The larger surface is the primary source of lift and is considered the "wing." The smaller is a stabilization source and is considered the "horizontal stabilizer." Canard configurations place the horizontal stabilizer in front of the wing (reverse that of traditional layouts.) No aerodynamic surfaces may be behind the main wing.

2014-01-02 01:56 Does a "canard configuration" refer only to the horizontal surface, i.e. can there be a vertical fin at the rear of the glider?

Yes, a vertical fin may be at the rear of the glider for a canard as long as it does not provide any lift.

2014-03-11 23:26 For the official flights if we fly both a canard and a non-canard glider, how would the total score computed? Alternatively, to compute the longest flight time would you consider 30% bonus for Canards?

Each flight will be scored and the bonus (if applicable applied) to that flight. The top 3 flights will then be added to compute the total score.

Not sure why the ES isn't allowing practice throughout the day, perhaps he doesn't feel there is enough floor space. If you wish to ask or challenge, the best path is through the tournament website http://scienceolympiad.msu.edu/ or have your coach ask the question to the tournament coordinators. There is a "Contact Us" page on the website.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
_HenryHscioly_
State: CA

Post by _HenryHscioly_ »

elg4 wrote:
_HenryHscioly_ wrote:8.6 meters high, 28.75m long, 13.85m wide
how would times of 22-23s fair?
Is this information pertaining to nationals or where you practiced and got 22-23 seconds?
I'm not flying at nationals, but just wondering how those times compared, since that's what most of the teams who got medals got at State. I heard that a team got 26s, which I thought was incredibly good..
Asteroidea

Post by Asteroidea »

Do you think a flapper glider would be ok for a 40 ft ceiling? Or should I go with a regular glider instead?
bjt4888

Post by bjt4888 »

Astroidea,
A flapper glider could be very successful in a 40' ceiling height site. See the website "Hip Pocket Aeronautics", Builders Plan Gallery, Indoor Gliders, "Cat 2 AMA Record Standard Class Glider" plan by "OlBill". Of course, this plan is for AMA class and the wingspan would have to be reduced to meet the 28cm SO limitation and the nose radius would have to be increased. Also see Hip Pocket Aeronautics, Builders Forum threads for "Indoor Glider" and "Science Olympiad". If you do not have experience building and adjusting flapper gliders, there are a number of posts from national glider champions in these two threads relating experience with flappers and some information about constructing and adjusting a specific designed flapper glider for SO 2014 rules that the schools I am coaching this year are using. If you don't already have experience with flappers, be aware that they give excellent performance but they also require a certain level of time committment.

Bjt4888
AMA member (off and on since 1968)
Asteroidea

Post by Asteroidea »

I saw that plan, but it seems like many many modifications would have have to be made. And based on his own posts it's implied that it seems more of a 60-70 ft type of glider. And the fact that I lack depon and carbon fiber. I already have a built flapper that can hit the ceiling of the gym I fly in sometimes, so I figure that it should be fine for 40 feet.
mrsaturns

Post by mrsaturns »

Thank you so much for your help Mr. Anderson! And for all you do for MYSO!!
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

More than welcome.

Michigan State Tournament over for this year. I understand winning times were on the order of 27 seconds for a single flight, approx 30 foot ceiling (I didn't measure it, was stuck in headquarters).

Best of luck to all those teams heading to nationals, and good work to ALL the students who participated in SO this year. I guarantee you learned far more than you realize if you made any reall effort.

Regards,

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

Return to “2014 Build Events”