Entomology B/C

mk3966
Division: C
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Entomology B/C

Post by mk3966 »

scio444 wrote:There is a spelling mistake on the lists. They spell common sawflies tenthedinidae, not tenthredinidae- with a "r".
Has there been a rule clarification on this? Is it too late to file one for nationals? :?
Not sure about the answer to your question but I should add that lampyridae is also misspelled (the list says lamphyridae).
Munster High School (IN) 8-)
National Medals:
Entomology: 4th (2014), 2nd (2015)
Designer Genes: 1st (2014)
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by SOnerd »

mk3966 wrote:
scio444 wrote:There is a spelling mistake on the lists. They spell common sawflies tenthedinidae, not tenthredinidae- with a "r".
Has there been a rule clarification on this? Is it too late to file one for nationals? :?
Not sure about the answer to your question but I should add that lampyridae is also misspelled (the list says lamphyridae).
Maybe you could ask the proctor at Nats?? :|
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page
havenbreadfish
State: PA

Post by havenbreadfish »

SOnerd wrote:
mk3966 wrote:
Maybe you could ask the proctor at Nats?? :|
It's just a spelling error. The list clearly wasn't proofread very well, as evidenced by the double sentence in the introduction, inconsistent hyphenation and spacing, and a few spelling errors.

You won't lose any points on the nationals test for misspelling the scientific name by one letter, and they certainly aren't referring to different families. It's not worth losing any sleep over. 8-)
Strath Haven Science Olympiad - 6th Year

2016 Events: Invasive Species, Dynamic Planet, Green Generation, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Hydrogeology
Past Events: Road Scholar, Heredity, Water Quality, DP, Ecology, Microbe Mission, Entomology
MightyMouse2

Post by MightyMouse2 »

Does anybody know if tabs need to be visible? has there been any rule clarifications?
NWLSD SciOly Treasurer
Rocks-2013-12th, 7th, 6th at regionals 2014-16th Stoga, 14th Athens
Entomology-2014- 18th Stoga, 26th Athens,
Scrambler-2014-26th Stoga, 6th Athens
Astronomy-2013-last, one page of notes
Boomilever-2013-last, last I hate gorilla glue...
Forestry-2013-15th, 14th at regionals
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice »

MightyMouse2 wrote:Does anybody know if tabs need to be visible? has there been any rule clarifications?
To me, a tab is visible by definition. If it's not something you can see sticking out of a page to help you find the page quickly, then it's not a tab.

That's not a rule clarification, but that's how I interpret it, at least.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
PsychrolutesMarcidus

Post by PsychrolutesMarcidus »

How do you distinguish between the different types of bees? I especially have trouble with megachilidae, apidae, and colletidae... :shock:
mary5297

Post by mary5297 »

What should my partner and I do if the event proctor asks for a family name, even though the specific order on the official entomology list doesn't have any families under it?
ceg7654
State: CA

Post by ceg7654 »

mary5297 wrote:What should my partner and I do if the event proctor asks for a family name, even though the specific order on the official entomology list doesn't have any families under it?
Most of the time, your guide will have the family listed there and you can easily flip through your guide and find it. If it's just one question though, most likely it won't affect your final score too much. If it really bothers you, talk to the proctors and writers if you can about the test after you've finished it. Bring a copy of the rules with you to all competitions(not necessarily in the testing room, but just in general where your team has "settled") just in case of times when you want to file an appeal. This applies to not only Ento but for all other events where things can go very wrong(pretty much all the events).
2016 Events: Invasive Species, Fossils, Write It Do It

#TehEntoCult
havenguy

Post by havenguy »

mary5297 wrote:What should my partner and I do if the event proctor asks for a family name, even though the specific order on the official entomology list doesn't have any families under it?
You're from Harriton, right? I assume you are referring to the Division C test at PA States. Ceg7654 is right: if you had looked in the guide during the test, there were only a few obvious families to pick from (for example, mantodea-mantidae). We asked the supervisor if he wanted to family for every single order during the test, and when he said yes, we just put down our best guess from the audubon.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
mary5297

Post by mary5297 »

havenguy wrote:
You're from Harriton, right? I assume you are referring to the Division C test at PA States. Ceg7654 is right: if you had looked in the guide during the test, there were only a few obvious families to pick from (for example, mantodea-mantidae). We asked the supervisor if he wanted to family for every single order during the test, and when he said yes, we just put down our best guess from the audubon.
Yup, that's what we did. Just wondering for future tests, thanks!

Return to “2014 Study Events”