Least Favorite Event?

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Astroknight
Division: C
State: TN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Least favorite event, in your opinion?

Post by Astroknight »

I'm glad I didn't do old rules Solar System. It seems kinda boring, with stuff people have known for years, and nothing will change about what you would be studying. New rules Solar System, however, is AWESOME. It's the most fascinating event I've done so far. New things are being discovered every month! I'm looking forward to doing Astronomy in high school.

Aside from that, I had a bad time with Crime Busters, for the goggles and lab coat really threw me off and disoriented me. I may try it again next year, it was a cool event. ;)
Last edited by Astroknight on April 8th, 2014, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TSA's pretty cool... i guess

2015 events:
Essays on Technology, Tech Bowl, Water Infrastructure, Website Design
Astroknight

Re: Least favorite event, in your opinion?

Post by Astroknight »

Sorry, double post.

2015 events:
ceg7654
State: CA

Re: What is your least favorite event?

Post by ceg7654 »

I've only ever competed in four events before, so out of those four I like Dynamic Planet glaciers, I love Entomology, and Write It Do It... Well, it can just be so frustrating sometimes. Especially if you have no idea who's the best writer for your doing and who's the best doer for your writing or who's the best partner for you overall or which job you're better at or what kind of structures are easy to describe for you or what kind of structure they'll give you... I think it's actually kind of like Metric Mastery and Exp Design in a way. I keep thinking since they're kind of similar and since if you're on one it's pretty useful to be on the other two, we should have one person who does all three on our team next season.

I did Can't Judge a Powder once at an invitational, and even though it was with my best friend and she likes it I didn't enjoy it at all. The observations just seem so boring in my opinion. The actual test part is kind of interesting but chemistry has never been my forte.
2016 Events: Invasive Species, Fossils, Write It Do It

#TehEntoCult
1nxtmonster
Division: B
State: PA

Post by 1nxtmonster »

I hated Compute This, because
A - I got thrown into it with no preparation
B - It was on windows computers, which I've never used much at all
C - I got last
D - I got last
E - It was annoying
neapturkey
State: NY

Post by neapturkey »

This is my first year, so I've only done 4 events, and while I liked them all, Disease Detectives... aggregates me. I couldn't find any tests similar to what I knew I would find at states... probably why I only came in 8th :mrgreen:
WLI Regionals 2014:
Disease Detectives- 1st
Dynamic Planet (Glaciers)- 1st
NY States 2014:
Crime Busters- 5th
Disease Detectives- 8th... :(
Dynamic Planet (Glaciers)- 3rd
Robo Cross- 2nd
Proud to be the awkward impromptu third captain but not really of CP WEBER SCIOLYY
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

Forestry. It doesn't interest me at all. I really sucked at it. I've taken 25 point practice quizzes and gotten 0 right multiple times.
Bozongle
State: IN

Post by Bozongle »

I would have to say Metric Mastery. The event itself doesn't seem to have much scientific basis, other than the understanding of the metric system. Other than that, it doesn't have much real value in the advanced world of science, especially estimation. It seems kind of stupid to try to master estimating measurements, when in reality you would use tools if needed to measure something. Also, sometimes the event can be ridiculous, such as the estimation/measurement of the temperature of water, when it fluctuates throughout the day. I personally don't like it.
Astroknight

Post by Astroknight »

Bozongle wrote:I would have to say Metric Mastery. The event itself doesn't seem to have much scientific basis, other than the understanding of the metric system. Other than that, it doesn't have much real value in the advanced world of science, especially estimation. It seems kind of stupid to try to master estimating measurements, when in reality you would use tools if needed to measure something. Also, sometimes the event can be ridiculous, such as the estimation/measurement of the temperature of water, when it fluctuates throughout the day. I personally don't like it.
Then get ready for Picture This, which has even less to do with science and is rotating in for Metric Mastery!

2015 events:
havenbreadfish
State: PA

Post by havenbreadfish »

Bozongle wrote:I would have to say Metric Mastery. The event itself doesn't seem to have much scientific basis, other than the understanding of the metric system. Other than that, it doesn't have much real value in the advanced world of science, especially estimation. It seems kind of stupid to try to master estimating measurements, when in reality you would use tools if needed to measure something. Also, sometimes the event can be ridiculous, such as the estimation/measurement of the temperature of water, when it fluctuates throughout the day. I personally don't like it.
I agree. It's such an arbitrary, unnecessary skill that barely reflects scientific ability at all. The best part about moving from B to C division was that our team would no longer have so much invested in an event that quite was so... problematic.
Strath Haven Science Olympiad - 6th Year

2016 Events: Invasive Species, Dynamic Planet, Green Generation, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Hydrogeology
Past Events: Road Scholar, Heredity, Water Quality, DP, Ecology, Microbe Mission, Entomology
vennowsah
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by vennowsah »

If I were to choose a least favorite, it would have to be Road Scholar. Perhaps it was because I was filler for Regionals, and didn't know much about the event or have much time to prepare. But I find myself bored every time I try to study for it in the two days I was given prior to the competition, and always ended up studying for another event instead. I remembered actually being excited that I was put in this event, despite it being two days before the competition and I had no experience whatsoever. I thought I could still do well, since past team members have told me that it was fairly easy, and I was pretty good with maps. But after checking out some practice problems, I lost a lot of interest. The event was a lot different than what I had envisioned. Many other people seemed to enjoy it though.
MLKHS '18
MIT '22

Expectations low, hopes high

Return to “General Competition”