Geologic Mapping C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Geologic Mapping C

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Geologic Mapping C

Post by hscmom »

What compass model are your teams using successfully?
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

hscmom wrote:What compass model are your teams using successfully?
Yeah, I heard people could bring a compass...to be honest, so far I haven't encountered questions where a compass would really be necessary. Whether that be a compass for field geology or a drafting compass (I can't remember which was indicated if at all), I really don't see the need for it. With a drafting compass you could effectively just bring a protractor, stereonet, etc (just listing stuff that involves solving for angles), and with one for the field...I don't know, would they ask you on the spot which direction was north or something? Or asking you parts of your compass? It just doesn't seem to be that big a deal to me, but I could be wrong since I'm not competing anymore >.>.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
JT016
Division: C
Been thanked: 0

Post by JT016 »

I'm new to this event and I'm having some trouble understanding the basics.
So I know that a syncline is when the youngest rocks are towards the center, and an anticline is when the oldest rocks are towards the center.
But what is the difference between an antiformal syncline and a synformal syncline? I've been trying to find a good picture but I'm having some trouble.
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

Hello, I did Road Scholars (Div B event) last year, and I've heard that this event is comparable. How is it different/similar, and will Road Scholars skills be useful here?
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:Hello, I did Road Scholars (Div B event) last year, and I've heard that this event is comparable. How is it different/similar, and will Road Scholars skills be useful here?
It helps to a degree because there is a lot of map reading, and some test makers do ask about topo maps/UTM. But not every test maker does, and there is overall WAY more of a focus on geology and different maps used in geology (along with structural geology). Also, there are no highway maps, and I haven't seen any map drawing. The central focus I think right now of geomaps is to gain a broad understanding of how to utilize different trig techniques and appropriate maps for different situations (ranging from analyzing hazards to going out hiking). If you read the rules, you'd also probably see senses of understanding geologic history and how we can approximate underlying structure (basically the geology) of different locations. All in all, I found it hard, but it was a worthwhile and fun event. To reiterate, topo map skills can be useful for various questions as you might see in the rules, but Road Scholar itself is definitely not completely applicable (as you'll have a bunch of other questions you'll be asked about). I hope that answered your question!
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
superblackcat
State: AZ

Post by superblackcat »

JT016 wrote:I'm new to this event and I'm having some trouble understanding the basics.
So I know that a syncline is when the youngest rocks are towards the center, and an anticline is when the oldest rocks are towards the center.
But what is the difference between an antiformal syncline and a synformal syncline? I've been trying to find a good picture but I'm having some trouble.
Basically, A antiformal syncline is a Syncline (Youngest rock in the middle) That looks like an upside down parabola. (Antiformal). A Synformal Syncline is a syncline (Youngest rock in the middle), that looks like a parabola. (Synformal).
-----
[u]2012-2013[/u]       
1st - Gravity Vehicle               
2nd - Remote Sensing                   
[u]2013-2014[/u]
1st - GeoMaps : 2nd at Nats.
4th - Scrambler
[u]2014-2015[/u]
1st - GeoMaps
1st - IAT
1st - Math Apps
[u]2015-2016[/u]
1st - GeoMaps
1st - HydroGeo
1st - IAT
4th - Math Apps
elephantower
State: AZ

Post by elephantower »

A compass may be good for drawing cross-sections of folds, and maybe some stereonet stuff too.
[S/N]
N/A = didn't compete

2013:
Geologic Mapping: 1, 2
Designer Genes: 3, :(
Astronomy: N/A, :(
2014:
Geologic Mapping: 1, N/A
Protein Modelling: 1, N/A
It's About Time: 1, N/A
Forensics: 9, N/A
2015:
Geologic Mapping: 1, ?
Hydrogeology: 1, ?
It's About Time: 1, ?
Forensics: 10, ?
SpartanOlympians
State: TX

Post by SpartanOlympians »

Have you guys encountered a lot of stereonet problems? I've done Geologic Mapping for a few years now and have only had a few show up on tests. Do they show up more in Nationals?

Also, anyone have any good links/explanations for doing stereonet problems? Thanks in advance! :)
Science Olympiad is awesome!!

- Geologic Mapping
- Mission Possible
- Experimental Design
Atomicbob11
State: PA

Post by Atomicbob11 »

With respect to Nationals, I cannot say. But for most of the tests that I took when I did Geologic Mapping, Stereonets were not widely on test.

In my opinion, I think this largely is due to the amount of knowledge that the test maker might have on them. Unless the test maker is specifically someone who studies stereonets before, they may not know much about them. There are very few to no resources online that have a good questions where there is also an answer that is also easy to fine, which could lead to the small amounts of them. Thus, largely I think most of the questions one would encounter on most Geologic Mapping Tests are questions where you would analyze a stereonet and give the strike and dip (attitude) of a bed.

I have encountered 1 test that has actually involved using tracing paper and graphic beds. Here I was given the Attitude, and was told to trace the bed and then draw the pole. Both of these are relatively simple with practice, but not easy to understand just online. Finding a tutor, possibly a teacher in the school who was a geology major or geoscience major in college might help. Possibly ask local college professors; they may be able to help.

This website, set up by the University of Wisconsin, does will to help you understand the many different ways stereonet questions and concepts could be asked. Obviously, this goes over the basics. Technically with stereonets, you can calculate a lot of different things, including the attitude of intersection points, you can calculate bed thickness with certain data, etc, however simply tracing beds and poles given an attitude is all I would assume you would see. Anything more than that would be difficult.
-University of Wisconsin Website - It has more than just Stereonet help, but very good for those explinations. - https://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/structge/labman.htm
-Here is an example of much harder stereonet questions. Most of these questions would be answered with stereonets. - http://people.ucalgary.ca/~rundle/page4 ... s-2007.pdf

Again, the 2nd link I provided is above and beyond. Now that I make tests, I would not put something that difficult on a test. Everyone would just skip it and guess at the end and in my opinion is too advanced and out of the range of stereonets for what SciOly is trying to get you to understand. Even the University of Wisconsin website does a lot, and I don't think you would need to know all of it. Mainly just ideas with respect to having to find the attitude or do something with attitude.

Hope this helps! :D
Hard Work may pay off in the long run, but Laziness pays off now.
Therefore, Studying for SciOly is the best type of Procrastination.

Return to “2015 Study Events”