Picture This B

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Picture This B

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Picture This B

Post by hscmom »

OK, my brain hurts...

I tried to ask for a clarification on soinc but the dialog box never came up (guessing it is too early in the year but could be something with my browser) and I am chatting about it on the roundtable. And I know, I really need to get the clarification.

So, where do you think the line is drawn for symbols? I can understand not using something like this: http://www.ikonet.com/en/visualdictiona ... clouds.php but sometimes a concept can't really be drawn without a symbol. How do you draw gravity? Maybe an apple falling out of the tree? Well, is does that drawing "look like gravity" or not? Is that allowed?

How about a heart shape? I mean it sort of is shaped like the organ named heart. Is it close enough to a heart in your body? Or, how about if you add some little blood vessels coming out of it? How similar must it be?

OK, here is another example. Let's say we're drawing scavenger. We have a bird picking on a dead animal and to make the animal look dead, we've got X's for eyes on it. Dead animals don't really have eyes that look like X's, but they look sort of like X's. Is that OK?
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

I can't answer your question (because I have no experience in this event), but I can confirm that rules clarification don't open until October.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
humanbeingofearth548
Division: C
Been thanked: 0

Post by humanbeingofearth548 »

hscmom wrote: So, where do you think the line is drawn for symbols? I can understand not using something like this: http://www.ikonet.com/en/visualdictiona ... clouds.php but sometimes a concept can't really be drawn without a symbol. How do you draw gravity? Maybe an apple falling out of the tree? Well, is does that drawing "look like gravity" or not? Is that allowed?

How about a heart shape? I mean it sort of is shaped like the organ named heart. Is it close enough to a heart in your body? Or, how about if you add some little blood vessels coming out of it? How similar must it be?

OK, here is another example. Let's say we're drawing scavenger. We have a bird picking on a dead animal and to make the animal look dead, we've got X's for eyes on it. Dead animals don't really have eyes that look like X's, but they look sort of like X's. Is that OK?
I have NEVER done this event yet, but I have seen the 2004 powerpoint for it....It's kinda confusing, but I'm guessing the scavenger and heart would be ok...The meterology? Perhaps not, but I don't know really...I think, to me, it would be ok? Because it's not a secret code or anything, it's something that everyone could study off of, IF they find the website.SOOOOOO, it think all 3 are ok.. :D
2014 Events: Wheeled Vehicle
2015 Events: Entomology, Experimental Design, Fossils, Picture This
2016 Events: Experimental Design, Fossils, Picture This, Scrambler
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

Thanks for the clarification on the clarifications - we'll wait to ask. Until then, we'll press on.

I THINK the spirit of the rule is we don't want kids memorizing symbols that don't really look like the objects. So, instead of drawing that cold front symbol (line on map with triangles), draw a cold and a front, how ever you do that, or weather changing from nice to not so nice.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
c-shell617
Division: B
State: CA

Post by c-shell617 »

Hey! So I have never done this event, and the rules are unclear. Are you able to draw a belt + an asteroid, so you know that the draw is of an asteroid belt? Or do you have to actually draw an asteroid belt? This event seems fun, But I need to know whether you can draw such as described above, because if so that would be SO MUCH EASIER! Please try to answer to the best of your abilities! Thanks!
sofan
State: TX

Post by sofan »

c-shell617 wrote:Hey! So I have never done this event, and the rules are unclear. Are you able to draw a belt + an asteroid, so you know that the draw is of an asteroid belt? Or do you have to actually draw an asteroid belt? This event seems fun, But I need to know whether you can draw such as described above, because if so that would be SO MUCH EASIER! Please try to answer to the best of your abilities! Thanks!
You can but i don't think you can use + because they consider that a symbol.
GoofyFoofer
State: OH

Post by GoofyFoofer »

You can draw two lines two represent two words, then use a picture for each word, if that helps.
aditi
State: PA

Post by aditi »

Hello, I'm new to this topic... Apparently there was a conflict at Invitationals and I'm not doing one of my topics anymore and I'm doing Picture This. Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or anything else for this topic? Thank you! :D
It's been scientifically proven that people who have more birthdays live longer... ;)
Scientists say that the world is made of protons, neutrons and electrons. They forgot to mention morons. :lol:

Code: Select all

[list][list=][*][img][url][album][best=][profile][rules][score][test][userpage][wiki]strange[/wiki][/userpage][/test][/score][/rules][/profile][/best][/album][/url][/img][/list][/list]
RitaThompson

Post by RitaThompson »

hscmom wrote:Thanks for the clarification on the clarifications - we'll wait to ask. Until then, we'll press on.

I THINK the spirit of the rule is we don't want kids memorizing symbols that don't really look like the objects. So, instead of drawing that cold front symbol (line on map with triangles), draw a cold and a front, how ever you do that, or weather changing from nice to not so nice.
I feel like our team is learning how to represent a cold front in that way and then they are learning science jargon and the usual symbols used by scientists to represent their fields. I am confused by the rules, because I don't know if the "belt" could be used to get your teammates to say "asteroid belt" (I don't think that was allowed last year when it was a trial event)...will we get a clarification on this?

Return to “2015 Lab Events”