Elastic Launched Glider B

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Elastic Launched Glider B

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
1nxtmonster
Division: B
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Re: Elastic Launched Glider B

Post by 1nxtmonster »

Soo...

Would it be legal to build a launcher that rests on the ground?
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Not official, you should file an FAQ on the National SO site to know for sure, but...

I see nothing in the rules that forbids it. Have to meet the size requirement still. And at 1 meter max you might have problem with meeting the safety requirement to aim at the ceiling.

Regards,

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
1nxtmonster

Post by 1nxtmonster »

jander14indoor wrote:Not official, you should file an FAQ on the National SO site to know for sure, but...

I see nothing in the rules that forbids it. Have to meet the size requirement still. And at 1 meter max you might have problem with meeting the safety requirement to aim at the ceiling.

Regards,

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
I don't think that I understand. How would it being 1m at its longest dimension make it harder to aim for the ceiling?
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

1nxtmonster wrote:
jander14indoor wrote:Not official, you should file an FAQ on the National SO site to know for sure, but...

Regards,

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
I don't think that I understand. How would it being 1m at its longest dimension make it harder to aim for the ceiling?
If you rest it on the floor it would be somewhat awkward to kneel down and aim it from that low.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

And it depends on how long you stretch your rubber band. If it doesn't cause a problem with what you plan, go for it, just something to consider.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
1nxtmonster

Post by 1nxtmonster »

jander14indoor wrote:And it depends on how long you stretch your rubber band. If it doesn't cause a problem with what you plan, go for it, just something to consider.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
I was planning on doing a launch base that has a rail at a semi-fixed angle (adjustable). This way the launches can be more consistant.
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

Two years ago a few teams used tall ones and there was a lot of discussion about the intentions of the rules. After much thrashing about they limited the height/size.
Take a look at last years high school rules and check for any differences.
The release from the one meter height could be a factor in a very high ceiling. Last year it was about 40' which would push the limit of the low launch. This year with the heavier glider weight, there should be no problem reaching that height. The problem probably would be in getting the glider to behave as you want it to at the bunt or the point that it goes to a glider since few people have a place that tall.
scienceswimmer4
State: CO

Post by scienceswimmer4 »

jander14indoor wrote: I was planning on doing a launch base that has a rail at a semi-fixed angle (adjustable). This way the launches can be more consistant.
[/quote]

I was thinking the EXACT same thing.
I'm just worried that it won't be legal.. :?
research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.
---
2013 { heredity/food science/widi } *regionals, states*
2014 { heredity/heli/widi } *regionals, states, nationals*
2015 { gliders/bio-process lab/green gen/pic this }
---
nationals results ~ 12th in heredity, 18th in widi
1nxtmonster

Post by 1nxtmonster »

So ive been having some trouble with the glider. It will coast across a room, but when launched up into the air it always just falls most of the way to the ground before it resumes gliding. My best time is like 4 seconds. Any ideas?

Return to “2015 Build Events”