How does your team practice for Science Olympiad? How often?

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
mej710
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How does your team practice for Science Olympiad? How often?

Post by mej710 »

Does anyone have any ideas for science related team building activities we can do at our next meeting?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

mej710 wrote:Does anyone have any ideas for science related team building activities we can do at our next meeting?
Maybe have them build for some event (don't listen to me though :mrgreen: ).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

mej710 wrote:Does anyone have any ideas for science related team building activities we can do at our next meeting?
At our first meeting, new members formed teams and built water-propelled bottle rockets. For our most recent meeting, I designed an egg drop activity to familiarize the new members with build events (and impounds, tiers, etc). I can share with you the rules I made for the event; just send me a private message.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
mej710
State: NY

Post by mej710 »

We have about 22 people in our club right now and we are trying to figure out how to find the best 15 to go to the regional. What do other teams do? Just give people one test and figure it out based on the scores for that test?
chinesesushi
State: CA

Post by chinesesushi »

mej710 wrote:We have about 22 people in our club right now and we are trying to figure out how to find the best 15 to go to the regional. What do other teams do? Just give people one test and figure it out based on the scores for that test?
Have them all take tests for their respective events. Most likely, a few people will score the highest in multiple events, so choose the top people to go. This is how we do it I think.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
ceg7654

Post by ceg7654 »

We have this new system where each event has one person make a short 5 question test to give to everyone else in that event each week, and then next week it's a new person, and so on. On Mondays since we have way too many other tests on Fridays. This way is pretty good since we all get testing practice for study and some hands on events, and our coach doesn't have to make 23 tests.
2016 Events: Invasive Species, Fossils, Write It Do It

#TehEntoCult
Eggo

Post by Eggo »

Yes, I really enjoy this system. I think you can learn a lot from it.
Anatomy, Disease Detectives, Circuit Lab, Mousetrap Vehicle
Medal Count: 51
Milankovitch1
State: OH

Re: How does your team practice for Science Olympiad? How of

Post by Milankovitch1 »

So why do we call them "cheat sheets?' Always wondered that. Cheat sheet sounds, well, like you're cheating.
John Richardsim wrote:As for official practices, we have 3-1 hour individual event timeslots Monday-Friday for most of the study events (during which time we took practice tests, had a PowerPoint, got handouts, etc.), and most of the building event practices occur on the weekend. For example, I had practice for disease detectives every Tuesday at 3:00 and boomilever every Saturday at noon.

Other than that, I personally do a lot of individual studying. I know that my teammates occasionally met to collaborate on a cheat sheet, or possibly do an extra WIDI exercise.

To be honest, I've hardly seen people from my town on SciOly since the new forum has been implemented.
Play Hard - Have Fun
GoofyFoofer
State: OH

Re: How does your team practice for Science Olympiad? How of

Post by GoofyFoofer »

Milankovitch1 wrote:So why do we call them "cheat sheets?' Always wondered that. Cheat sheet sounds, well, like you're cheating.
John Richardsim wrote:As for official practices, we have 3-1 hour individual event timeslots Monday-Friday for most of the study events (during which time we took practice tests, had a PowerPoint, got handouts, etc.), and most of the building event practices occur on the weekend. For example, I had practice for disease detectives every Tuesday at 3:00 and boomilever every Saturday at noon.

Other than that, I personally do a lot of individual studying. I know that my teammates occasionally met to collaborate on a cheat sheet, or possibly do an extra WIDI exercise.

To be honest, I've hardly seen people from my town on SciOly since the new forum has been implemented.
Because it rhymes :lol:
Smith Middle School
Dayton, OH
samlan16
State: GA

Post by samlan16 »

We have two main days for practices, Tuesdays and Wednesdays (because that worked best for the 30 of us), and there are 3 blocks during which events are held. Building events are either self study or with a coach on the weekend, and other events are on Mondays because that was the only day the coaches could help.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.

Return to “General Competition”