Designs B/C

chinesesushi
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Designs B/C

Post by chinesesushi »

dholdgreve wrote:I think we may actually be over-simplifying it... Going to a more narrow design with a UOR (Useless Out-Rigger) seems to dictate that the loading block be placed on top the bridge. I believe this may force the design to include many more diagonal braces in the Z plane to stabilize it, as opposed to placing the loading block within the bridge supported off the bottom chord. This design virtually forces the bridge to exceed the 5 CM requirement, and may utilize the solid edge planes of the loading block as stabilizing diaphragms in lieu of the Z axis braces... just a thought... I still see no ambiguity in the way the rules are written... At some point, at some elevation along the entire span of the bridge it must measure 5 cm wide. Not the entire bridge... just one horizontal dimension of the cross section of the bridge. High, low, or in between... That part seems very simple.
I see it as at any point of the cross section of the bridge, the event supervisor must be able to measure the bridge and get a measurement >= 5 cm. Which means at any point the ES decides to measure it must be 5 cm wide.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
JonB
Coach
Coach
State: FL

Post by JonB »

dholdgreve wrote: I still see no ambiguity in the way the rules are written... At some point, at some elevation along the entire span of the bridge it must measure 5 cm wide. Not the entire bridge... just one horizontal dimension of the cross section of the bridge. High, low, or in between... That part seems very simple.

Agreed.
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

chinesesushi wrote:
I see it as at any point of the cross section of the bridge, the event supervisor must be able to measure the bridge and get a measurement >= 5 cm. Which means at any point the ES decides to measure it must be 5 cm wide.
I believe if that were the intent, they would have added as statement something to the effect of "...at any point of the event coordinator's choosing..." As stated, as long as any one horizontal dimension point within any given cross section meets thew 5 CM requirement, you're golden!
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
bearasmith
State: MD
Been thanked: 0

Post by bearasmith »

Yes, but if you have a cube shape, and the two bottom pieces are 5cm apart, then could you just consolidate the top beams to just one beam?

Thanks
Medal Count: 52
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach

Post by dholdgreve »

bearasmith wrote:Yes, but if you have a cube shape, and the two bottom pieces are 5cm apart, then could you just consolidate the top beams to just one beam?
I suppose you could, depending on your design... By consolidating the top beams into a single beam, I would think it might force the bottom chords to be further apart that actually required, because you would need a distance of 5 cm wide at a height of 2 cm above bottom chord... with the top distance being around 1 CM wide... and an assumed overall height of 7 CM, you can imagine how that would force the bottom to be substantially wider than 5 CM... Not necessarily a problem... unless you plan on bearing on the bottom chords instead of cross bracing running perpendicular to the bottom chord.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
drone52
State: TX

Post by drone52 »

This is probably VERY noobish question, but it didn't give a picture as to what it's supposed to look like. Is it an elevated bridge or what? Do not know. Is it possible for one of you guys to add a few pics of a basic model?

Thanks! :D
retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

The simplest way would be to buy the DVD from the SO Store.
PS, it does not show the winner or the runner up bridges.
taimur18

Post by taimur18 »

What do you think the best type of wood for this event would be the best. Additionally I was gonna use super glue, but what brand or type of super glue is the best?
azuritemalachite
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by azuritemalachite »

taimur18 wrote:What do you think the best type of wood for this event would be the best. Additionally I was gonna use super glue, but what brand or type of super glue is the best?
I'm pretty sure most people use balsa. My team uses epoxy, but I'm sure gorilla glue and super glue could work.
azurite>malachite>chrysocolla
Come to Pangea today all around the globe. Our formal dinners are to die for! All dishes served on tectonic plates.
Don't be Angara that all the jokes are Gondwana.
PM any rock or mineral question! :arrow:
taimur18

Post by taimur18 »

azuritemalachite wrote:
taimur18 wrote:What do you think the best type of wood for this event would be the best. Additionally I was gonna use super glue, but what brand or type of super glue is the best?
I'm pretty sure most people use balsa. My team uses epoxy, but I'm sure gorilla glue and super glue could work.
Ok thank you. If I do use balsa would you recommend any specific type, like high density, low density, etc?

Return to “Bridge Building B/C”