EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Astronomy C

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Oh boy. There are certain sciolyers that prefer binders, and others that prefer laptops. Personally, my preference is using two binders, one containing mainly info about the DSO's, and one containing everything else. We used one binder and one laptop my senior year, and we just didn't use the laptop as much as I think we could have used another binder. However, there are sciolyers out there that swear by laptops, so it depends only on personal preference.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
JT016
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by JT016 »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:Oh boy. There are certain sciolyers that prefer binders, and others that prefer laptops. Personally, my preference is using two binders, one containing mainly info about the DSO's, and one containing everything else. We used one binder and one laptop my senior year, and we just didn't use the laptop as much as I think we could have used another binder. However, there are sciolyers out there that swear by laptops, so it depends only on personal preference.
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who prefers a binder(although, I suppose that's not fair seeing as how I've never tried a laptop for the competition). I think the laptop would be easier in terms of keeping information(Control+F would be super helpful), and you could have a lot more information. I guess I'll have to see what works for me though.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

JT016 wrote:
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:Oh boy. There are certain sciolyers that prefer binders, and others that prefer laptops. Personally, my preference is using two binders, one containing mainly info about the DSO's, and one containing everything else. We used one binder and one laptop my senior year, and we just didn't use the laptop as much as I think we could have used another binder. However, there are sciolyers out there that swear by laptops, so it depends only on personal preference.
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who prefers a binder(although, I suppose that's not fair seeing as how I've never tried a laptop for the competition). I think the laptop would be easier in terms of keeping information(Control+F would be super helpful), and you could have a lot more information. I guess I'll have to see what works for me though.
You get a lot of information either way, so it's good not to waste. I used a binder, my partners used laptops. I used a 5", and that probably had a wee bit too much info, but I was able to navigate it in a snap (and sometimes I think I could find things faster than people with laptops...). Really as you sort of hinted, studying/practice may be the bigger deal. It really is whatever works for you, but on the wiki there is something on this topic pros/cons. As I've pointed out, though, ctrl+f is a practically equal to a skilled binder wielder (and worse for an unskilled laptop user) ;). The general point is you're supposed to use whatever form of organization is best for you.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
JT016

Post by JT016 »

syo_astro wrote:
JT016 wrote:
You get a lot of information either way, so it's good not to waste. I used a binder, my partners used laptops. I used a 5", and that probably had a wee bit too much info, but I was able to navigate it in a snap (and sometimes I think I could find things faster than people with laptops...). Really as you sort of hinted, studying/practice may be the bigger deal. It really is whatever works for you, but on the wiki there is something on this topic pros/cons. As I've pointed out, though, ctrl+f is a practically equal to a skilled binder wielder (and worse for an unskilled laptop user) ;). The general point is you're supposed to use whatever form of organization is best for you.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll hope I find what's best for me. :)
cifutielu
State: IL

Post by cifutielu »

How have you guys been getting images for exoplanets?
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

cifutielu wrote:How have you guys been getting images for exoplanets?
It's the same as any year. Look up the DSOs and associated objects (or planets, stars, etc depending on the type) on google. You can also try to search around for specific wavelengths. Exoplanets isn't the only topic, and I actually think some of the DSOs with exoplanets aren't as hard to study for as some of the other DSOs. Another tip is to try searching around by wavelength or for specific features once you know a little about the topic and DSO you want to know about.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
gabby_the_great
State: MD

Post by gabby_the_great »

Where can you find useful information on planet formation? I've tried googling it, but all of the pages I checked were about the evolution of the solar system as a whole.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

gabby_the_great wrote:Where can you find useful information on planet formation? I've tried googling it, but all of the pages I checked were about the evolution of the solar system as a whole.
I would recommend looking into the DSOs for useful vocab if you're unsure where to look about the topic. I promise you'll at least get some ideas since some have a good deal in relation to planetary formation. It's easier to use the ideas you'd get from those DSOs than just directly searching "planet formation" I feel. Sorry if that sounds like pretty general advice, but the DSOs are there for the same reason that astronomers would look at specific objects (to help guide ideas and show physical examples of concepts). Hope that helps!
darkwinters
State: IL

Post by darkwinters »

AAVSO's science olympiad study powerpoint features images of solar system moons &/or planets; do we have to memorize those, as well?
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

darkwinters wrote:AAVSO's science olympiad study powerpoint features images of solar system moons &/or planets; do we have to memorize those, as well?
That's actually for a separate event, planetary science (or the topic of Division B's Solar System). You can always study it if you want to see where some ideas for studying exoplanets come from! But no, it's not something so necessary to Div C Astro.

Return to “2015 Study Events”