EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Protein Modeling C

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

That's probably the better way to represent it, however I'm not sure how many supervisors out there will actually realize this. There may be some who just look at it, see that you're omitting an amino acid, and take off points regardless.

In terms of the Toober model may be better to think of the space between marks as the peptide bond connecting the two amino acids. Even though it's not as correct as the visualization mentioned above, it will at least result in the right length for the Toober (since you wouldn't be representing the peptide bonds connecting 420-421 and 560-561). Just realize there's more to the protein than sidechains and peptide bonds, haha.

Of course, if you use your own materials, you can make it whatever length you want! ;)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
JonB
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: FL

Post by JonB »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
Of course, if you use your own materials, you can make it whatever length you want! ;)

Could you clarify this statement? I did not think it mattered what material you used- each AA must be 2cm?
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Yes, this is true. I only meant that if you use your own material, you can change the length slightly, as long as each amino acid is represented by 2 cm. So if you want to make it 280 cm, you'd be free to. So you're not allowed any length, but you've got a little more freedom.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
JonB
Coach
Coach
State: FL

Post by JonB »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:Yes, this is true. I only meant that if you use your own material, you can change the length slightly, as long as each amino acid is represented by 2 cm. So if you want to make it 280 cm, you'd be free to. So you're not allowed any length, but you've got a little more freedom.

Got it, thank you!
picats3141
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by picats3141 »

Hey, I'm new to this forum.

So I've gotten pretty decent at using Jmol/the command line to edit the appearance of the molecule. What settings do you guys think are optimal for modeling this protein? And which peptides are important/ should be modeled in more detail? Thanks in advance.
Dhruvster
State: TX

Post by Dhruvster »

I've been using cartoon off and backbone set to 0.9 so far and its been pretty useful so far as it makes jmol look pretty much like the model we're making. I actually had a similar question to you, I imagine just doing amino acids that are pertinent to the tertiary structure or are on the active site. But I was wondering how are you guys representing the different side chains going off the amino acids?
mrericsully
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by mrericsully »

I understand the basics of modelling and sidechains, but I am having trouble finding information about what side chains are important. Where should I be looking? Also, if anyone is looking to 3D print a model for comparison purposes, I have made so 3D printer files of just the backbone structure and would be willing to share them after I print them and verify that they do print well.
Coach Russia MS & HS, Ohio 2005-pres
3 State Tourn; 1 State/109 Regional/16 Invitational top 6 medals

As Student member: Bennett JH, Ohio 94-96 & Piqua HS, Ohio 97-00
National Tourn 94,95 ; Ohio State Tourn 94-96,98-00 [1st 94, 2nd 95]
12 State/15 Regional/10 Invitational top 6/3/3 medals
actionpotential

Post by actionpotential »

Yeah that's a good question. Does anyone have suggestions for finding out which amino acids/sidechains are important to the protein's structure? I have googled all about endonuclease and specifically 2fok but cannot seem to locate specific amino acids that were important.

Thanks
18liuj_stoga

Post by 18liuj_stoga »

The minitoober has space for 139 Amino Acids (AAs). Thus, the 140 AAs cant fit on. This is because only the alpha carbons of structures are counted(the inner carbon). On the side, however, the Amine group will have to be cut off and the Carboxyl group on the other side will have to be cut off.
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

actionpotential wrote:Yeah that's a good question. Does anyone have suggestions for finding out which amino acids/sidechains are important to the protein's structure? I have googled all about endonuclease and specifically 2fok but cannot seem to locate specific amino acids that were important.

Thanks
Keep lookin'. The info IS out there. There's not much though.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008

Return to “2015 Lab Events”