Disease Detectives B/C

CulturallyScientific
Division: Grad
State: CA

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby CulturallyScientific » November 11th, 2014, 10:08 am

Wow, that was really helpful. Thanks Eggo!
'16, she/her, environmental-scientist-to-be: green gen, invasives, disease, ex. design, widi.

"…everything flows in an eternal present." (James Joyce)

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » November 11th, 2014, 2:07 pm

I just got put into this event 4 days ago for a competition this Saturday. Is there anything that I can learn before then that would be helpful?
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Postby bernard » November 11th, 2014, 2:22 pm

I just got put into this event 4 days ago for a competition this Saturday. Is there anything that I can learn before then that would be helpful?
What do you already know? Have you looked through the information on the wiki or in the training guides posted on the official website?
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » November 11th, 2014, 2:50 pm

What do you already know? Have you looked through the information on the wiki or in the training guides posted on the official website?
I read the wiki and the training guides, and according to the coaches I have more prior knowledge than those who would otherwise end up watching my partner take the test.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Postby bernard » November 11th, 2014, 3:09 pm

I read the wiki and the training guides, and according to the coaches I have more prior knowledge than those who would otherwise end up watching my partner take the test.
Try taking some tests from the test exchange.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

CulturallyScientific

Postby CulturallyScientific » November 16th, 2014, 10:56 pm

When you're drawing an epicurve, the bars are only supposed to represent incidence or prevalence?
'16, she/her, environmental-scientist-to-be: green gen, invasives, disease, ex. design, widi.

bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Postby bernard » November 17th, 2014, 3:44 pm

The vertical axis of an epidemic curve should measure incidence. As a note to anyone who may have the terms mixed, incidence is the number of new cases in a period of time, while prevalence is the total number of cases during a period or at a point in time. Read more about the difference here.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) also has a quick guide on how to make epidemic curves.

CulturallyScientific

Postby CulturallyScientific » November 17th, 2014, 3:48 pm

The vertical axis of an epidemic curve should measure incidence. As a note to anyone who may have the terms mixed, incidence is the number of new cases in a period of time, while prevalence is the total number of cases during a period or at a point in time. Read more about the difference here.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) also has a quick guide on how to make epidemic curves.
Thanks, Bernard!! The link was really helpful :)

bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Postby bernard » November 20th, 2014, 11:03 am

I discovered an app called Solve The Outbreak, made by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It is interactive, so check it out if that is how you like to learn!

bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Postby bernard » November 28th, 2014, 11:26 pm

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has several pages documenting the Ebola outbreak. Also, here is a Reddit thread with some interesting discussion. Ambitious disease detectives might find these interesting to look at.
Last edited by bernard on December 9th, 2014, 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “2015 Study Events”