Experimental Design B/C

illusionofconfusion
Division: C
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by illusionofconfusion »

Does anyone have a good way to distinguish between what goes in the conclusion and what goes in the analysis? Most of the time it seems to me like they're the same. :?
~illusionofconfusion ;)
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

The Analysis is a summery of what happened during the test. You are basically summarizing your results and discussing the data points. If there are any unusual data points or trends you noticed this is where you would write about them. You DO NOT discuss your hypothesis here!
The Conclusion is whether your hypothesis was supported or unsupported based on your data, and explaining why.

They do seem pretty similar, when I first started I was very confused by it. I don't really have a good method of remembering which is which though. Something that does help me though is the Analysis is analyzing the data while the Conclusion is concluding the report. Does that help at all? Maybe someone else here will have a better method.
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
XJcwolfyX

Post by XJcwolfyX »

Analysis:
Say all of your data. You have to mention every data point, including your averages. Then, discuss unusual data points. Make sure you're specific...such as "The time of 2.67 seconds in the 20 cm tall ramp height data was an unusual data point..." and then explain it: "...this could have been caused by...X, Y, Z." If there are no unusual data points, say that. Do not emit that from your analysis. Then, discuss the trends. "As the ramp height increased, the amount of time it took the ball to roll down it and across the floor 1 meter decreased." Then, support this with data. "This is shown because the average times for ramp heights 10 cm, 20 cm, and 30 cm were 2.90, 2.63, and 2.11, respectively. Clearly, these numbers are increasing."

Conclusion:
For your conclusion, you restate and evaluate your hypothesis. "Our hypothesis that said ________ (restate the whole thing here) was correct/incorrect (choose one). This is shown in the data because the average for the 10 cm, 20 cm, and 30 cm ramps were X, Y, Z respectively (yes, you just said this above), which shows a clear increase/decrease in time." Then, you should give a reason why this happened. "This is most likely because (scientific explanation here, such as "as you increase the ramp height, the ball begins with more potential energy and therefore has more kinetic energy when it comes to the bottom of the ramp")......

Hope this helped.
Medal Counter: 73
illusionofconfusion
State: AL

Post by illusionofconfusion »

Okay, that really helps! I had noticed that I was writing almost the same thing for both, and I was confused, but now I'm not! :D
~illusionofconfusion ;)
CulturallyScientific
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by CulturallyScientific »

Has anyone thought of including "analyze quantitative data with statistical tools, such as T-Test, Chi-Square test, etc" in the recommendations? I only relatively recently learned more about statistics and ExCel, so just wondering if this crossed anyone else's mind.
'16, she/her, environmental-scientist-to-be: green gen, invasives, disease, ex. design, widi.

"…everything flows in an eternal present." (James Joyce)
samlan16
State: GA

Post by samlan16 »

CulturallyScientific wrote:Has anyone thought of including "analyze quantitative data with statistical tools, such as T-Test, Chi-Square test, etc" in the recommendations? I only relatively recently learned more about statistics and ExCel, so just wondering if this crossed anyone else's mind.
My partner and I kind of did this last year being overzealous about taking AP Stats, but (at least in GA) it gives you no advantage because they want to see how you would adjust the experiment if you had no time or material constraints. If you really want to, you can do an inferential stat in the actual stats section (but once again, no advantage to it because you can simply do standard deviation).
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
CulturallyScientific

Post by CulturallyScientific »

samlan16 wrote:
CulturallyScientific wrote:Has anyone thought of including "analyze quantitative data with statistical tools, such as T-Test, Chi-Square test, etc" in the recommendations? I only relatively recently learned more about statistics and ExCel, so just wondering if this crossed anyone else's mind.
My partner and I kind of did this last year being overzealous about taking AP Stats, but (at least in GA) it gives you no advantage because they want to see how you would adjust the experiment if you had no time or material constraints. If you really want to, you can do an inferential stat in the actual stats section (but once again, no advantage to it because you can simply do standard deviation).
Oh, okay. We'll just stick to standard deviation then. Thanks salman16!
'16, she/her, environmental-scientist-to-be: green gen, invasives, disease, ex. design, widi.

"…everything flows in an eternal present." (James Joyce)
flash2705
Division: B
State: MD

Post by flash2705 »

I don't speak nerd, so can you please explain what you're talking about?
Life is life. Science Olympiad is also life. You signed up for it, deal with it.
chinesesushi

Post by chinesesushi »

flash2705 wrote:I don't speak nerd, so can you please explain what you're talking about?
You're in division B, I don't think you have to worry about it? Someone correct me if I'm wrong XD.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

chinesesushi wrote:
flash2705 wrote:I don't speak nerd, so can you please explain what you're talking about?
You're in division B, I don't think you have to worry about it? Someone correct me if I'm wrong XD.
If flash2705 is asking about standard deviation, the rule 4.j. allows both Div. B and C to choose from "mode or range or standard deviation or other relevant statistics."
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs

Return to “2015 Lab Events”