Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Bio-Process Lab B

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

Is this event any more than just scientific method+a bit of bio? When I looked at the test exchange, the tests were really easy.
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:Is this event any more than just scientific method+a bit of bio? When I looked at the test exchange, the tests were really easy.
As far as I can tell, that's exactly what it is. If the tests were really easy, that's probably a bad thing, though.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

Unome wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:Is this event any more than just scientific method+a bit of bio? When I looked at the test exchange, the tests were really easy.
As far as I can tell, that's exactly what it is. If the tests were really easy, that's probably a bad thing, though.
Yeah, same. I suppose there should be some stations where you'll have to measure something (of course, that doesn't really work on the test exchange) and the components of a compound light microscope, but other than that and the bits of bio+scientific method, that's pretty much it. Just keep in mind that a lot of the difficulty in the event stems from the time constraint.
Unome

Post by Unome »

John Richardsim wrote:
Unome wrote:
Yeah, same. I suppose there should be some stations where you'll have to measure something (of course, that doesn't really work on the test exchange) and the components of a compound light microscope, but other than that and the bits of bio+scientific method, that's pretty much it. Just keep in mind that a lot of the difficulty in the event stems from the time constraint.
Metric Mastery time... 8-)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

Metric Mastery Episode II: Bio Process Lab?
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by rfscoach »

It is usually run as a station event with lots of different kinds of measuring, graph and diagram interpretation as relates to biology.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
JenSquared
Division: C
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by JenSquared »

I'm not sure if this is exactly the correct place to post things, but I've noticed that some of the information on the Scioly Wiki page for Bio Process matches exactly what is on this site.
http://www.microscope-microscope.org/ba ... -parts.htm
Nitric acid acts onto trousers.
ssb4ever
State: CA

Post by ssb4ever »

So after doing my research (reading rules, the powerpoint, training handout, etc) I've noticed that there was no significant mentioning of having to answer biology related questions or any tests of basic biology concepts at competitions in any of the official documents. All that was mentioned was the ability to utilize and identify lab tools, demonstrate lab procedures, as well as interpreting data and making observations/inferences. I want to be certain whether or not we will be tested on biology concepts this year, because the test exchange only has older tests and rules may have changed :?: :?: . I also want to mention that it states straigh from the rules that, "Each station will require the use of process skills to answer queswtions and/or perform a required task such as formulating and/or ...(all about using tools, lab procedure, and collecting data) Thanks in advance
2013 : Crime Busters 1,10,17 Boomi 2,4,30 Road Scholar 1,1,9
2014 : Crime Busters 4,11,2 Shock Value 2,1,1 Boomi 4,7,34 WIDI 2,9,17 Road Scholar 1,2,3
2015 : Crime Busters: 1,4,1 Bridge 2,4,3 Road Scholar 1,1,1 Experimental Design 2,2,6 WIDI 8,1,30( XD)
(R/S/N) Muscatel Alumni
Unome

Post by Unome »

ssb4ever wrote:So after doing my research (reading rules, the powerpoint, training handout, etc) I've noticed that there was no significant mentioning of having to answer biology related questions or any tests of basic biology concepts at competitions in any of the official documents. All that was mentioned was the ability to utilize and identify lab tools, demonstrate lab procedures, as well as interpreting data and making observations/inferences. I want to be certain whether or not we will be tested on biology concepts this year, because the test exchange only has older tests and rules may have changed :?: :?: . I also want to mention that it states straigh from the rules that, "Each station will require the use of process skills to answer queswtions and/or perform a required task such as formulating and/or ...(all about using tools, lab procedure, and collecting data) Thanks in advance
There are some mention of biology topics, but nothing that actually says biology. However, test writers (most test writers :| ) will pay significant attention to the name, and probably make some assumptions.
Userpage

aditi
State: PA

Post by aditi »

Hey guys!! If you guys are going to an invitational, those are coming real close! Good luck to all of you out there! Even if you're not, regionals is in a few months as well! So, about bio-process lab... It's a new topic for this year, although it was a topic in 2009 an 2010... I was reading over all of the material that they gave us and nothing is very specific... How are you guys studying for the event? :D
It's been scientifically proven that people who have more birthdays live longer... ;)
Scientists say that the world is made of protons, neutrons and electrons. They forgot to mention morons. :lol:

Code: Select all

[list][list=][*][img][url][album][best=][profile][rules][score][test][userpage][wiki]strange[/wiki][/userpage][/test][/score][/rules][/profile][/best][/album][/url][/img][/list][/list]

Return to “2015 Lab Events”