Anatomy & Physiology B/C

jkey14
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by jkey14 »

I am new to this event and I just got it this week because some of our team members quit. I have looked at the systems handouts and power point on soinc, and I was wondering if this is all the information I need or if this is just an introduction to the systems. Also If it is just an introduction, what other information would i need to get because it seems to cover everything on the rules.
Dhruvster
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by Dhruvster »

c-padd1999 wrote:Would you guys say it's worth it to put all the interleukins on the note sheet? Or to memorize them? Or are there a specific few that are more important to know?
And a more general question: Which cytokines would you consider memorizing/putting on the note sheet?
Know IL 2, IL4, and IL10 and what cells they are associated with
I don't think the others are too drastic
slytherin
Division: B
State: KS

Post by slytherin »

Just wanted to say how my State went, to possibly help you guys with types of questions..
1.) It was put into stations.
2.) There was A LOT on diseases.
3.) Memorize what almost every cell does, or be able to go to a specific section on your notes sheet very quickly, as there was a lot of "what does this cell do?"
Right now that's all I can remember but if anyone has any other specific questions feel free to ask.
Oh, and btw, I got 2nd :( in the event.
State:
Anatomy: 2nd
Meteorology: 2nd
Simple Machines: 2nd
Solar System: 2nd
Notice a pattern :lol:
coprolite_dipstick
State: CA

Post by coprolite_dipstick »

here's how my state went as well -- this is the southern california state comp.

it wasn't stationed like they did at regionals... apparently it wasn't that way last year, either. rather, they had a short packet with lots and lots of diagrams (i had some of the exact ones on my cheat sheet, which was pretty helpful)

all the systems had about the same number of questions on the test

a lot of it was labeling; they had you label the electrical system of the heart and the four valves, then asked what would happen if one of the valves regurgitated. i believe there was also a question about congestive heart failure.

immune system. there was a venn diagram you had to label (if you image search 'immune system venn diagram' it'll show up, it shows which cells are in innate and acquired immunity, and which are in both. lucky me had this diagram on my cheat sheet).

integumentary -- they had you label the touch receptors and name their specific functions. there was also a diagram of the skin layers, and if you just search for a diagram of the skin layers it'll be one of the first to come up.

no surprise here -- you had to link systems together. they had us link the integumentary with cardiovascular, immune, digestive, nervous, and possibly another system, but i've forgot it.

my partner and i got first place in the event, so i guess you can't really get better than that for state :lol:

good luck everyone!
2016: CVMC/CV Invite/Mesa Robles/Reg/State
ExpD: 1/1/1/1/9
Foss: 3/1/8/4/1
Green Gen: 2/1/4/1/7
Met: 2/2/3/8/4
the dipstick is an intricate device used to measure the amount of rain in a rain gauge. it can also be used as a derogatory term for your meteorology partners
icanteven

Post by icanteven »

I remember during nationals last year, they had so many models of different things like the skin layers, ear, eye, etc. that you had to label. I'm pretty sure that they also had a pic of a brain with Alzheimers or something. If you didn't know that by heart(heh) or at least have a labeled picture on the study guide, you were screwed.

This year for nationals, most likely theres going to be a heart diagram. What else do you guys have on your study guide in terms of pictures? So far, I have: an EKG pic, heart diagram, rule of nines, pics of the different phagocytes, skin diagram, and skin cancer pics. I think I can memorize the venn diagram thing so I probably won't add that.
coprolite_dipstick wrote:
no surprise here -- you had to link systems together. they had us link the integumentary with cardiovascular, immune, digestive, nervous, and possibly another system, but i've forgot it.
What do you mean by linking?

Thanks in advance!
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

icanteven wrote:I remember during nationals last year, they had so many models of different things like the skin layers, ear, eye, etc. that you had to label. I'm pretty sure that they also had a pic of a brain with Alzheimers or something. If you didn't know that by heart(heh) or at least have a labeled picture on the study guide, you were screwed.

This year for nationals, most likely theres going to be a heart diagram. What else do you guys have on your study guide in terms of pictures? So far, I have: an EKG pic, heart diagram, rule of nines, pics of the different phagocytes, skin diagram, and skin cancer pics. I think I can memorize the venn diagram thing so I probably won't add that.
What do you mean by linking?

Thanks in advance!
We also get that at Regionals every year; they want us to say how each of the systems relates to other systems (it tends to be vague).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
coprolite_dipstick

icanteven wrote: What do you mean by linking?
Linking systems means to tell how the ____ system relates to the ____ system.

The question I had on my state test was something like this (it's been a few weeks, so I don't remember the exact wording, but it was similar):

Explain how the integumentary system relates to the:
a) Immune system
b) Digestive system
c) Nervous system
d) Cardiovascular system (Note: When I took the test, cardiovascular was crossed out. My partner asked the proctor if that meant we had to do it, and she said, "You don't have to, but you guys are smart so you can." I'm not really sure why this one was crossed out and not one of the others, but either way...)

Have a general understanding of how the integumentary, immune, and cardiovascular systems function in relation to, well, pretty much every other system in the body.

Definitely know what all the immune cells look like - distinguishing characteristics and such. Be prepared for a lot of real-life models and pictures - sounds like you already are - as well as some artists' renditions. Lots of artist renditions... sometimes it's hard to tell. Cough cough, allergic reaction diagram on the state test. :x As vague as it is, know what pretty much everything looks like. :lol:

They also had some questions such as
Anatomy Test wrote: List three symptoms and two causes of heart failure.
If you don't know them already, make sure you have all of the diseases that are listed on the rules sheet! This is something that my coach kept pushing on us... I'm glad she did. There was a page on diseases that you had to identify, not that I got a lot of time to look at them or even do that page because my partner was working on the back side of it... ugh. Either way, make sure you know what all of the diseases look like - the diseases on my test were integumentary.

Good luck to everyone competing at Nationals! :mrgreen:
the dipstick is an intricate device used to measure the amount of rain in a rain gauge. it can also be used as a derogatory term for your meteorology partners
Bilbo McSwaggins
State: OH

Post by Bilbo McSwaggins »

icanteven wrote: What do you mean by linking?
Linking systems means to tell how the ____ system relates to the ____ system.

The question I had on my state test was something like this (it's been a few weeks, so I don't remember the exact wording, but it was similar):

Explain how the integumentary system relates to the:
a) Immune system
b) Digestive system
c) Nervous system
d) Cardiovascular system (Note: When I took the test, cardiovascular was crossed out. My partner asked the proctor if that meant we had to do it, and she said, "You don't have to, but you guys are smart so you can." I'm not really sure why this one was crossed out and not one of the others, but either way...)

Have a general understanding of how the integumentary, immune, and cardiovascular systems function in relation to, well, pretty much every other system in the body.

Definitely know what all the immune cells look like - distinguishing characteristics and such. Be prepared for a lot of real-life models and pictures - sounds like you already are - as well as some artists' renditions. Lots of artist renditions... sometimes it's hard to tell. Cough cough, allergic reaction diagram on the state test. :x As vague as it is, know what pretty much everything looks like. :lol:

They also had some questions such as
Anatomy Test wrote: List three symptoms and two causes of heart failure.
If you don't know them already, make sure you have all of the diseases that are listed on the rules sheet! This is something that my coach kept pushing on us... I'm glad she did. There was a page on diseases that you had to identify, not that I got a lot of time to look at them or even do that page because my partner was working on the back side of it... ugh. Either way, make sure you know what all of the diseases look like - the diseases on my test were integumentary.

Good luck to everyone competing at Nationals! :mrgreen:
I would also study diseases not included on the rules, because at a lot of the invitationals and regionals and states that I went to this year, there have been questions like "Name the symptoms of Sjogrens syndrome" and some other questions about diseases that where really out there.
Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
-Elbert Hubbard
On the bright side, my events this year are: Anatomy, ELG, Solar System, and CJAP :D
Medal Count:16
Bilbo McSwaggins
State: OH

Post by Bilbo McSwaggins »

I hate stations for any study event in general. Ever since the Solon invitational, I didn't like stations since there was "Station 4/3" (I cant remember) and then nobody went to the station at first, so it was a mad rush to get to the station because the teams had to take turns, so the event supervisors made a "compromise". They said each team that hadn't gone yet would get 2 minutes to finish completing the section which had 20 questions in which we had to identify structures on a model of the heart. Let me repeat that again. We had 2 MINUTES to finish labeling 20 STRUCTURES. The event supervisors said it was "more than enough time" to complete that portion of the test. I know I know, everybody's who's reading this probably thinks I'm a rage monster that has anger issues because that's me! :D
Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
-Elbert Hubbard
On the bright side, my events this year are: Anatomy, ELG, Solar System, and CJAP :D
Medal Count:16
coprolite_dipstick

Bilbo McSwaggins wrote:I hate stations for any study event in general. Ever since the Solon invitational, I didn't like stations since there was "Station 4/3" (I cant remember) and then nobody went to the station at first, so it was a mad rush to get to the station because the teams had to take turns, so the event supervisors made a "compromise". They said each team that hadn't gone yet would get 2 minutes to finish completing the section which had 20 questions in which we had to identify structures on a model of the heart. Let me repeat that again. We had 2 MINUTES to finish labeling 20 STRUCTURES. The event supervisors said it was "more than enough time" to complete that portion of the test. I know I know, everybody's who's reading this probably thinks I'm a rage monster that has anger issues because that's me! :D
You say you're a rage monster... you should have seen me after the Anatomy state test. There was a diagram of an allergic reaction that you had to explain — thankfully that was the last event of the day, because I completely lost it. :P

Return to “2015 Study Events”