bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Post by bernard »

jennyk wrote:Don't know if this question has come up yet, but we were wondering if the clock stops on the 8 min allowed for the 4 attempts while the judges are measuring the distance. Sometimes they can take quite a while. And if the clock does stop, are you allowed to be setting up the next attempt, or is that not allowed?
See 4.f., which states that the time taken by the event supervisor(s) to measure launch distances is not included in the 8 minutes, so the clock stops after a launch and starts when the supervisors are done measuring.

Depending on the supervisor, you might be allowed to set up for the next attempt during measuring, but since the time taken to measure launch distances isn't included in the 8 minutes, it seems like teams really shouldn't be setting up for another attempt when the timer isn't running.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
sjwon3789
Division: C
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by sjwon3789 »

How competitive is this event getting in your states?

Virginia, I believe won first with a 5cm and 10cm distance apart and one bucket shot.
Second place was 10 cm and 20 cm with no bucket shot.

This is based off what my friend told me :P
2013 Events: Boomilever, Keep the Heat, WIDI
2014 Events: Boomilever, Geologic Mapping, Mission Possible, Scrambler
2015 Events: Air Trajectory, Bridge Building, Mission Possible
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Not sure how helpful this is for teams that are aiming to place high, but at state we were unfortunately off by almost 50cm on each shot (didn't want to attempt any buckets since we were so off), and got 12th out of 22 teams.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
buzzcutboy
Division: C

Post by buzzcutboy »

Any Idea what scores might go top 10, medal (top 6), and win nationals?
Last edited by buzzcutboy on April 21st, 2015, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sidvin

Post by Sidvin »

Hey everyone,

So I have 4 questions:
1) Are the students allowed to use their graphs and tables in the event?
2) Does anyone have an idea on how to keeps shots consistent in my scenario? (I set forces by doin taps...ex: 1 tap, 2 taps...etc.)
3) Are we allowed to bring like a notes page?
4) On the scoresheet, where it says: RECORD ACTUAL TOTAL MASS WEIGHT in kg to best precision of scale; Tiebreaker, how do we show that data to the proctor? Do we just tell him/her or do we need a separate sheet with all that data?

Thanks,
Sidvin
:)
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Sidvin wrote:Hey everyone,

So I have 4 questions:
1) Are the students allowed to use their graphs and tables in the event?
2) Does anyone have an idea on how to keeps shots consistent in my scenario? (I set forces by doin taps...ex: 1 tap, 2 taps...etc.)
3) Are we allowed to bring like a notes page?
4) On the scoresheet, where it says: RECORD ACTUAL TOTAL MASS WEIGHT in kg to best precision of scale; Tiebreaker, how do we show that data to the proctor? Do we just tell him/her or do we need a separate sheet with all that data?

Thanks,
Sidvin
:)
See rule 2.b.: "Launch devices, copies of graphs, and all materials the teams will use (other than the eye protection and calculators) must be impounded prior to competition." As long as you impound your graphs and tables, you can use them.

I don't follow what you mean by taps, could you explain that in more detail?

The scoresheet is available for the event supervisor(s) to use to make calculating scores for the event easier. At the competition, your event supervisor will mass your weight in a scale they provide, which is why it is required for it to be possible to detach the mass from the device.
Sidvin

Post by Sidvin »

Thanks so much!
By taps I mean I don't have a proper force because I didn't make a piston or anything, so I just tap the ball on top of the tube to add pressure...
I'm having a little trouble getting consistent measurements...
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Sidvin wrote:Thanks so much!
By taps I mean I don't have a proper force because I didn't make a piston or anything, so I just tap the ball on top of the tube to add pressure...
I'm having a little trouble getting consistent measurements...
So you're using the kickball approach? Are you loading your ball and then tapping the ball to build up pressure inside?
Sidvin

Post by Sidvin »

Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing!
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Sidvin wrote:Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing!
See rules 3.a. ("The launching force must be entirely supplied by the gravitational potential energy from a falling mass...") and 3.c. ("All device air chambers must start each launch at ambient air pressure and must automatically return to ambient air pressure."). Since you're building up pressure by tapping the ball before the launch, your air chamber is not starting at ambient air pressure and some of the launch force is being supplied by your hand and not the falling mass.

Do you hear any leaks when your mass falls? What projectile are you using and is your barrel PVC?

Return to “2015 Build Events”