Scores B/C

sjwon3789
Division: C
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scores B/C

Post by sjwon3789 »

But is it fine to pour super fast / dump all the sand in when you get to >10kg?

I just stick to medium fast in general, since I thought dumping the sand would be a bad idea.
If you look at the automatic loading machine though, I see that it takes 30 second to load everything (except the initial, where they start slow, I believe.)
2013 Events: Boomilever, Keep the Heat, WIDI
2014 Events: Boomilever, Geologic Mapping, Mission Possible, Scrambler
2015 Events: Air Trajectory, Bridge Building, Mission Possible
JonB
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: FL

Post by JonB »

sjwon3789 wrote:But is it fine to pour super fast / dump all the sand in when you get to >10kg?

I just stick to medium fast in general, since I thought dumping the sand would be a bad idea.
If you look at the automatic loading machine though, I see that it takes 30 second to load everything (except the initial, where they start slow, I believe.)
As long as the rate gradually increases to the maximum rate then it should be fine. You want to avoid sudden, drastic increases is flow.
sciolycoach
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: WI

Post by sciolycoach »

Do keep in mind that many times people modify the lever-operated sand hopper to slow down the loading of the sand. Most hoppers I have seen take around 2 minutes to load all of the sand. The supervisor does this by limiting the flow of the sand from the hopper into the tube; this does tend to make it a bit more complicated for some teams and make it much easier for the supervisor to score the event as less sand is flowing per unit time so if the student pulling the lever delays a bit (very rare, I haven't seen that much as kids usually are surprised by the shock of the break and let go of the lever and it is spring loaded to shut the sand flow off) there isn't much difference in the weight held.

Just my 2 cents as you shouldn't necessarily plan on 30 seconds to hold all the weight...it may be more at some tournaments.
Andy Hamm
Boyceville Science Olympiad
Boyceville, WI
PatrickMcPherson
State: NC

Post by PatrickMcPherson »

North Carolina C Division. 2455 6.06g 14.88kg
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

PatrickMcPherson wrote:North Carolina C Division. 2455 6.06g 14.88kg
Congrats on a wonderful score! And it broke right before 15kg, so you planned well! :)
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
DoctaDave
State: CA

Post by DoctaDave »

Is it time to start guessing what the top scores will be at nationals?
PatrickMcPherson

bernard wrote:
PatrickMcPherson wrote:North Carolina C Division. 2455 6.06g 14.88kg
Congrats on a wonderful score! And it broke right before 15kg, so you planned well! :)
Thanks, never have I been so satisfied with my work. I also go first in duct-tape-challenge (technical problem solving for you guys) and another duct-tape oriented event. It's been a good career, good luck to anyone going to Nationals! (it's also on my birthday so even more well wishes)
PatrickMcPherson

DoctaDave wrote:Is it time to start guessing what the top scores will be at nationals?
My bets are 3 and 4 thousand for divisions C and B respectively. In or around that seems reasonable.
DoctaDave
State: CA

Post by DoctaDave »

PatrickMcPherson wrote:
DoctaDave wrote:Is it time to start guessing what the top scores will be at nationals?
My bets are 3 and 4 thousand for divisions C and B respectively. In or around that seems reasonable.

Probably a little higher than 3000 for first place, and maybe somewhere close to 3000 for second. I'm thinking third to sixth will be around 2800-2600.

I've already heard of several B division teams getting 4000 earlier in the season, so I suspect that it will be higher for first place. Also a team got 3800 in B div Norcal states, but I know that team isnt going to nats. Still I suspect there are many more teams getting around 3800.
aditi
Division: B
State: PA

Post by aditi »

Whoa! The guesses are 4000+ for first? :o
How many get places at Nats again?
Probably 3500+ for any medaling... Gosh my team needs to step up!
It's been scientifically proven that people who have more birthdays live longer... ;)
Scientists say that the world is made of protons, neutrons and electrons. They forgot to mention morons. :lol:

Code: Select all

[list][list=][*][img][url][album][best=][profile][rules][score][test][userpage][wiki]strange[/wiki][/userpage][/test][/score][/rules][/profile][/best][/album][/url][/img][/list][/list]

Return to “Bridge Building B/C”