2015 National Tournament: University of Nebraska

sciolyboy123
Division: B
State: AL
Has thanked: 0

Re: 2015 National Tournament: University of Nebraska

Post by sciolyboy123 »

I thought like organizations made the test and some random person proctors.
For example, Disease Detectives Test is made by the CDC, but the people in there aren't actually from the CDC, they just know enough about the topic to answer questions involving material on the test.
2014-15 Season
(Hooch,Dodgen, Regionals, State, Nats)
Bio-Process Lab(3rd,5th,-,3rd,14th ;) )
Disease Detectives (1st,5th,1st,1st,10th 8-) )
Crave The Wave (2nd,-,-,-,-)
Experimental Design (-,1st, 4th,-,-)
Picture This (4th,6th, 1st, 4th,48th :oops: )
Simple Machines (1st,n/a, 1st, n/a)
chinesesushi
Division: C
State: CA

Post by chinesesushi »

sciolyboy123 wrote:I thought like organizations made the test and some random person proctors.
For example, Disease Detectives Test is made by the CDC, but the people in there aren't actually from the CDC, they just know enough about the topic to answer questions involving material on the test.
not strictly true. i don't know about disease detectives, but i think the event supervisors for the most part write their own tests. also, proctors for the event are volunteers that include previous scioly competitors, state tournament officials, etc. teams are not required to contribute people from their own teams as volunteer, nor do I know if they're allowed to. :P
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
samlan16
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by samlan16 »

sciolyboy123 wrote:I thought like organizations made the test and some random person proctors.
It's usually the national supervisors who write the test, and they sometimes get feedback from the sponsors. The proctors are not random people since they are the national supervisors; the others are usually students of the proctor or the host university, and they are at least briefed about the content of the test.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

samlan16 wrote:
It's usually the national supervisors who write the test, and they sometimes get feedback from the sponsors. The proctors are not random people since they are the national supervisors; the others are usually students of the proctor or the host university, and they are at least briefed about the content of the test.
Correct. The event supervisors at Nationals are selected quite far in advance and generally are very involved in Science Olympiad and know the ins and outs of the rules very well since they helped create them.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

Can anyone figure out the logic in having 15 students and a coach from each team in the parade of states? To be honest, I think it's a really lame idea. I struggle to see what was so terrible about only having 2 or 3 people represent your team and why having 16 people do it is such a superior alternative. I can only imagine the parade of states this way being quite unexciting and taking waaaaayyy longer than usual (to the point where it's flat-out boring).
aditi
Division: B
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Post by aditi »

Well that makes sense...Also, no I cannot figure it out at all! It's going to be SO crowded and messed up! I think it's more organized to have 4 kids from each team holding the flag and props...Also what's the deal with walk-in? Everyone's going to want to go at similar times and just ugh... :roll: :x
It's been scientifically proven that people who have more birthdays live longer... ;)
Scientists say that the world is made of protons, neutrons and electrons. They forgot to mention morons. :lol:

Code: Select all

[list][list=][*][img][url][album][best=][profile][rules][score][test][userpage][wiki]strange[/wiki][/userpage][/test][/score][/rules][/profile][/best][/album][/url][/img][/list][/list]
fozendog
State: WA

Post by fozendog »

John Richardsim wrote:Can anyone figure out the logic in having 15 students and a coach from each team in the parade of states? To be honest, I think it's a really lame idea. I struggle to see what was so terrible about only having 2 or 3 people represent your team and why having 16 people do it is such a superior alternative. I can only imagine the parade of states this way being quite unexciting and taking waaaaayyy longer than usual (to the point where it's flat-out boring).
And for the first couple of states there is going to be no one in the stadium except for the people in the audience XD The whole floor will be empty b/c everyone is walking lol
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality
John Richardsim
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

fozendog wrote:
John Richardsim wrote:Can anyone figure out the logic in having 15 students and a coach from each team in the parade of states? To be honest, I think it's a really lame idea. I struggle to see what was so terrible about only having 2 or 3 people represent your team and why having 16 people do it is such a superior alternative. I can only imagine the parade of states this way being quite unexciting and taking waaaaayyy longer than usual (to the point where it's flat-out boring).
And for the first couple of states there is going to be no one in the stadium except for the people in the audience XD The whole floor will be empty b/c everyone is walking lol
And if you're one of the last teams, you pretty much only get to watch the two or possibly three teams in front on you go. Translation: This. Is. Not. Fun.

Edit: Okay, perhaps it's a step up from the "flash mob" last year, but only a slight one at that.
boomvroomshroom
State: CA

Post by boomvroomshroom »

Going off what the people down there said, I suppose it's too late to ask for the organizers to change it? Most of the audience IS the competitors.

How do they even plan to do this? Have everyone line up at the beginning and make them walk out to empty chairs? Or are the teams going to gradually cycle out in sets?
azuritemalachite
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by azuritemalachite »

John Richardsim wrote:
fozendog wrote:
And if you're one of the last teams, you pretty much only get to watch the two or possibly three teams in front on you go. Translation: This. Is. Not. Fun.

Edit: Okay, perhaps it's a step up from the "flash mob" last year, but only a slight one at that.
lol that flash mob was... interesting....
azurite>malachite>chrysocolla
Come to Pangea today all around the globe. Our formal dinners are to die for! All dishes served on tectonic plates.
Don't be Angara that all the jokes are Gondwana.
PM any rock or mineral question! :arrow:

Return to “2015 Nationals”