awesome90220
Division: B
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: National test discussion

Post by awesome90220 »

John Richardsim wrote:
icanteven wrote: Meteorology was great though. As long as you studied everything on the rules sheet thoroughly, it was pretty easy. I liked how they had a survey at the end which asked questions such as: the difficulty of the test, too many, too little or just the right amount of questions, and any comments that you had.
I disagree; easy tests are never good. It may have did a decent job of covering most of the topics in the rules, but the complexity of the majority of the questions were about what someone should expect from an invitational or regional test. I don't know how many total points there was on that test, but I do remember there being less than 70 questions (which is nothing when considering the general rule of thumb for the lengths of tests (twice as many points as the number of teams at that competition)).
It was either 58 or 56 questions, and I remember it being almost the exact same test as the one we took at state. There were literally questions copied word for word.

P.S. My meteorology partner is awesome.
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

awesome90220 wrote:
John Richardsim wrote:
icanteven wrote: Meteorology was great though. As long as you studied everything on the rules sheet thoroughly, it was pretty easy. I liked how they had a survey at the end which asked questions such as: the difficulty of the test, too many, too little or just the right amount of questions, and any comments that you had.
I disagree; easy tests are never good. It may have did a decent job of covering most of the topics in the rules, but the complexity of the majority of the questions were about what someone should expect from an invitational or regional test. I don't know how many total points there was on that test, but I do remember there being less than 70 questions (which is nothing when considering the general rule of thumb for the lengths of tests (twice as many points as the number of teams at that competition)).
It was either 58 or 56 questions, and I remember it being almost the exact same test as the one we took at state. There were literally questions copied word for word.

P.S. My meteorology partner is awesome.
Yup, events like this are when I wish I had awesome partners. My partner for this was good, but neither of us was good enough to do really well.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink »

I'm not sure how I feel about short exit surveys. On one hand, I like supervisors to get feedback. On the other hand, I'd hate to risk participants who rate them poorly to get stricken back (or the reverse!).
awesome90220
Division: B
State: AL

Post by awesome90220 »

Skink wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about short exit surveys. On one hand, I like supervisors to get feedback. On the other hand, I'd hate to risk participants who rate them poorly to get stricken back (or the reverse!).
While I was somewhat scared that I would be punished for any negative comments I made, I did believe that the people who took the test as a whole should have the opportunity to make corrections to things that they found as a group to be unjust or not national standards.
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Skink wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about short exit surveys. On one hand, I like supervisors to get feedback. On the other hand, I'd hate to risk participants who rate them poorly to get stricken back (or the reverse!).
At Nationals, the event supervisors don't tabulate the exit surveys, rather the committee chair does.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
samlan16

Post by samlan16 »

xXx_syo_astro_xXx wrote:I think everyone should not be literally asking Chalker for every single score available. You noscoped the guy, okay fine. If the nats people all decide to release it it's on them :P But honestly, it is not yo, and should not be, essential to see the scores for everything (even builds). Sure, some people like AIRHORNS for motivation, but please try to be reasonable when asking Chalker stuff, as we all know he's a busy noscoper. ;). Just keep to the discussions of what the tests were like please, including whether or not Doritos and Mtn Dew were distributed :P.

Wait a minute. There are 46 events. 4+6=10. The national tournament will have started 10 days ago as of May 24. 24 is a multiple of 3. Triangles have 3 sides. Fermi Questions confirmed.

And some more edits.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by lumosityfan »

Also, keep in mind that the national test scores and tests will be released on a CD next year.
John P. Stevens Class of 2015 (Go Hawks!)
Columbia University Class of 2019 (Go Lions!)
RontgensWallaby

Post by RontgensWallaby »

samlan16 wrote:
xXx_syo_astro_xXx wrote:I think everyone should not be literally asking Chalker for every single score available. You noscoped the guy, okay fine. If the nats people all decide to release it it's on them :P But honestly, it is not yo, and should not be, essential to see the scores for everything (even builds). Sure, some people like AIRHORNS for motivation, but please try to be reasonable when asking Chalker stuff, as we all know he's a busy noscoper. ;). Just keep to the discussions of what the tests were like please, including whether or not Doritos and Mtn Dew were distributed :P.

Wait a minute. There are 46 events. 4+6=10. The national tournament will have started 10 days ago as of May 24. 24 is a multiple of 3. Triangles have 3 sides. Fermi Questions confirmed.

And some more edits.
Was that you who "MLGified" the original post?
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it. - Niels Bohr
samlan16

Post by samlan16 »

RontgensWallaby wrote:
samlan16 wrote:

And some more edits.
Was that you who "MLGified" the original post?
No, that was clearly the original post.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

chalker wrote:
At Nationals, the event supervisors don't tabulate the exit surveys, rather the committee chair does.
Thanks for the clarification. That's not a bad system.

Return to “2015 Nationals”