leetx
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Interested in F1D?

Post by leetx »

Hi, everyone,

I was a Wright Stuff coach a few years ago, and I now fly different classes of indoor models, especially F1D. I am looking for students who are interested in flying F1D and especially in making the U.S. Junior F1D team. In reading through these posts, I see that many of you are very interested in indoor flying and have the initiative to further your skills. It is clear to me that many of you are ready for F1D and would do very very well.

The requirements are to attend the Team Selection contest over Labor Day weekend in Lakehurst, NJ and if you make the team, to attend the World Championship in Romania in April 2016. I know that you all have many in-school and out-out-school commitments. I hope that some of you can fit in these additional commitments.

If you are interested, I will help you with instructions via online posts and email. I will also help with some of the difficult to get materials, but you will also be responsible for getting most of the materials and tools. You of course have to do the hard work. I have found my involvement in F1D to be greatly rewarding.

If you are interested, please respond to this thread. You may also contact me by PM. One of you have already expressed an interest. You may not be able to do it, but you might know someone who could. Thanks.

-Kang
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Interested in F1D?

Post by bernard »

Kang is on Scioly.org! /me cries from excitement
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
leetx

Post by leetx »

Please post your questions. I will answer as best as I could.

-Kang
bjt4888
Division: C
State: MI

Post by bjt4888 »

Science Olympiad Wright Stuff competitors,

The serious Wright Stuff competitors among you should definitely consider Yuan Kang Lee's generous offer to coach for F1D. As a member of the US national team this past year, Mr. Lee won the F1D world championships, held in Slanic, Romania with flight times of 37 minutes and 33 seconds and 36 minutes and five seconds. Here is the National Free Flight Society blog page with stories about the championships.

https://nffsblog.wordpress.com/2014/04/ ... l-results/

Brian T.
0ddrenaline
State: MI

Post by 0ddrenaline »

Hello. I have never flown f1d, but I am interested in starting. I don't know if I could be good enough by labor day weekend, but I have plenty of time to fly in the summer and I am willing to try. I'm glad that you decided to help because it seems hard to find where to start.
calgoddard

Post by calgoddard »

Oddrenaline -

I am pleased you are willing to pursue the F1D flying event.

I know from personal experience that you could not find a better coach for this event than Kang Lee.

If you cannot meet personally with Kang, may I suggest that you send him photos of the various stages of your build and video clips of your flights. They will facilitate Kang helping you along in the learning curve.

Good luck to you.
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Don't know where you are in Michigan, but there are active indoor model clubs and some F1D flyers around that may also be able to provide hands on help. Cloudbusters in SE Michigan is one. I think there is still a club in the Grand Rapids area and one in Flint.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
leetx

Post by leetx »

Oddrenaline,

I sent you a PM. Great to see your interest.

Regards,

-Kang
Last edited by leetx on June 5th, 2015, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Less_Incidence
Division: C
State: CO

Post by Less_Incidence »

Kang, I'd definitely be interested in F1D! Convincing my parents to send me off to Lakehurst and Romania will be a battle, but I can try my best. I'll be at USIC next week with an LPP, a ministick, a standard cat glider and probably an F1M - I hope to meet you there!
2015-16 Events: (CMHS Invitational/Southern CO Regional/CO State)
Wright Stuff: //
Chem Lab: //
Electric Vehicle: //
Bridge Building: //

Lewis-Palmer High School class of 2016
leetx

Post by leetx »

So far, I have heard from 6 of you who are interested. I'm working to get you started. Stay tuned.

Return to “Wright Stuff C”