Edit the [wiki][/wiki].
Upload to the Image Gallery
Get Medals
AJAX IRC Chat or Java IRC Chat

Argus
State: -

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Postby Argus » September 2nd, 2015, 7:34 am

Anyone have any clue what is new for this year?

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Postby chalker » September 2nd, 2015, 4:33 pm

Yes;) Might as well give a high level summary of major changes since this is in my committee. As always though, you really need to read the actual rules to understand the specifics:

-Nominal mass items like strings / container walls aren't considered part of the falling mass
-Max device size reduced: 70cm cube C, 80cm cube B
-Foam golf balls allowed
-Launch area size reduced: 1m square
-Far target can be up to 2m right or left of the centerline
-Bucket shot max points increased to 300

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

sciolylover13
Division: B
State: AL

Postby sciolylover13 » September 2nd, 2015, 4:36 pm

Yes;) Might as well give a high level summary of major changes since this is in my committee. As always though, you really need to read the actual rules to understand the specifics:

-Nominal mass items like strings / container walls aren't considered part of the falling mass
-Foam golf balls allowed
Guess that means I have to start working on my bucket shot aiming skills!!
Oh and my angles.
Yay! Time to start working on my device and do countless hours of repetitive monotonous practice to get the ball in one spot!!
2015-2016 events:Chattahoochee/Dodgen/Regionals/State/Nats?
Anatomy and Physiology: 4/////
Green Generation: 6/////
Air Trajectory: NA/////
Crime Busters: 2/////

Argus

Postby Argus » September 2nd, 2015, 4:51 pm

-Foam golf balls allowed
My rule manual is coming in tommorow haha. I just am super impatient and excited to start. The 70cm cube size restrictions will probably be the most difficult part but it can definitely be done. Thank you very much for the info I can't wait to start building!!!!!

windu34
State: FL

Postby windu34 » September 2nd, 2015, 7:42 pm

Any plans on how to adapt to the size restrictions? Also what kind of pvc do you use? Thin walled?
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida State Tournament Director 2020
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2020:
UT Austin - Circuit Lab B/C
Solon - Circuit Lab C
Nationals - Circuit Lab C

windu34

Postby windu34 » September 12th, 2015, 7:33 pm

Do you guys use physics to calculate exactly how far and what force is needed to launch the projectile or do you just test it?

Solon - Circuit Lab C

daycd

Postby daycd » September 13th, 2015, 7:02 pm

Just test. The important thing is that your machine is consistent.

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Postby bernard » September 13th, 2015, 7:22 pm

Just test. The important thing is that your machine is consistent.
Exactly the approach we use for this event and many other builds. If you're starting out and aren't sure if something will work, just test the main step(s) that might not work. If you're dropping a mass onto a bottle, you probably don't need to make a contraption that drops the mass yet. And if something just barely works, there's a chance it won't work under slightly different conditions.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

windu34

Postby windu34 » September 13th, 2015, 7:32 pm

Actually this will be my second year with this event and I have a lot of experience. Last year, I only tested to achieve my results and placed second at state, but this year, I am in physics and have started wondering if there would be a way to actually calculate the initial velocity that I would need for each launch and then quantify the force produced by my device into an initial velocity that I could use as a variable.
I think there is a ratio that relates the effect of air resistance to distance that I could find and employ
Thoughts?

Solon - Circuit Lab C

laidlawe18
Division: C
State: RI

Postby laidlawe18 » September 14th, 2015, 4:57 am

I think that in theory, that would be ideal, but in all practicality, it's probably not going to work. My goal for this year is to make something that is super consistent, and can accurately be modeled by some kind of function. Rather than using physics to find a function, I think you'd just be better off just testing it a bunch and then making a regression equation. With the far target no longer on the center line, there are way to many individual places that the target could be to test and perfect all of them.

windu34

Postby windu34 » September 14th, 2015, 6:14 am

I think that in theory, that would be ideal, but in all practicality, it's probably not going to work. My goal for this year is to make something that is super consistent, and can accurately be modeled by some kind of function. Rather than using physics to find a function, I think you'd just be better off just testing it a bunch and then making a regression equation. With the far target no longer on the center line, there are way to many individual places that the target could be to test and perfect all of them.
For the far target, couldn't you just bring a laser pointer to aim your device and then use Pythagorean theorem to find the distance?

Solon - Circuit Lab C

laidlawe18
Division: C
State: RI

Postby laidlawe18 » September 14th, 2015, 11:00 am

For the far target, couldn't you just bring a laser pointer to aim your device and then use Pythagorean theorem to find the distance?
Yes, but the problem is that you're going to get numbers like 6.243237 or something. It is impractical to test every single possible distance, because there will be so many this year. Having some kind of function for weight or height dropped from in relation to distance would be much more practical.

SPP SciO
Division: B
State: NY

Postby SPP SciO » September 15th, 2015, 7:45 am

I didn't see anything in the rules prohibiting laser alignment (unlike scrambler, for instance), so I imagine it'll be a simple Pythagorean calculation, and I imagine the hope is that the graphs will actually be useful!

Speaking of graphs, rule 6.c.v seems a little weird - only one graph gets scored, but that score gets multiplied by 4? What if a team makes 3 great graphs but a mistake on the 4th one which is scored? Or vice versa? If it's just a time issue to get all graphs scored, why not require just one? Or let the students decide which of the 4 to score, not "selected by the event supervisor."
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com

windu34

Postby windu34 » September 15th, 2015, 8:29 am

I didn't see anything in the rules prohibiting laser alignment (unlike scrambler, for instance), so I imagine it'll be a simple Pythagorean calculation, and I imagine the hope is that the graphs will actually be useful!

Speaking of graphs, rule 6.c.v seems a little weird - only one graph gets scored, but that score gets multiplied by 4? What if a team makes 3 great graphs but a mistake on the 4th one which is scored? Or vice versa? If it's just a time issue to get all graphs scored, why not require just one? Or let the students decide which of the 4 to score, not "selected by the event supervisor."
Usually all graphs are done in the same format by the team so if one graph has a mistake, they all will have the same mistake. The point of the graphs is that students are SUPPOSED to be graphing velocity by time, acceleration by time, etc. We are SUPPOSED to be using physics to calculate how to calibrate our device (of course most students don't)

As for the laser, my team has a distance laser that is accurate to the mm so I might just use that instead of relying on the ES to be precise on target placement (which most probably wont be able to)

Solon - Circuit Lab C

Return to “Air Trajectory B/C”