Postby robotman » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:46 pm

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby bernard » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:47 pm

Official Fossil List for 2016 posted to the national website!
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

Unome
Division: C
State: GA

Postby Unome » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:16 pm

I'm pretty sure that Septastraea hasn't changed from last year, so I'm wondering why that's marked (it's probably just an oversight though).
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School

2018 Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Astronomy, Disease Detectives, Dynamic Planet, Herpetology, Materials Science, Microbe Mission, Remote Sensing

bearasauras
State: -

Postby bearasauras » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:09 pm

The first rules clarification for the year has been posted

The correct spelling for Sarcoptergii (on the Official Fossil List on http://www.soinc.org) is Sarcopterygii

Unome

Postby Unome » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:00 pm

Russian Fusulinid diagrams!
Userpage

2018 Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Astronomy, Disease Detectives, Dynamic Planet, Herpetology, Materials Science, Microbe Mission, Remote Sensing

Entomology
State: CA

Postby Entomology » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:03 pm

Does anyone know a field guide with plants? I'm using the Audubon and there are only a couple. :/

Side note: The state test for us had rocks and minerals..?
Canyon Crest Academy
2017 Events || Ecology, Herpetology, Rocks and Minerals, Mousetrap Vehicle

varunscs11
State: PA

Postby varunscs11 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:13 pm

I think the Smithsonian has more plants than the Audubon. Also its normal for tests to test you over rocks because that is part of the rules. As for minerals, it would be more sketchy cause the rules don't explicitly state identification of minerals but if its like calcite then it should pass
15:
MIT/WSU/N
Fossils:2/1/6
Green Generation: 1/6/2

16:
MIT/N
Fossils: 2/3
Green Generation: 1/8
Invasive Species: 1/5
Experimental Design: 3/20

17:
MIT/GG/Reg/State/N
Anatomy: 2/1/1/x/9
Ecology: 1/1/1/2/41
Invasive Species: 3/2/2/2/2
Rocks and Minerals: 4/3/1/3/4

GoofyFoofer

Postby GoofyFoofer » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:46 am

So what do we index fossils? Do we have to know all major index fossils, or only the ones on the list? :|
Alumnus: Hermosa Valley School, California. Go Dolphins!!!
California Academy of Math and Science. Go Rebels!!!
Medal Count: 10
Wind Power, Ecology, Remote Sensing (why)
:D nuk nuk nuk 我喜歡科學

varunscs11
State: PA

Postby varunscs11 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:48 am

There are index fossils on the list (like explicitly stated)? Waht? But nonetheless, I use the index fossils chart from chart, but after a while its just intuitive.
15:
MIT/WSU/N
Fossils:2/1/6
Green Generation: 1/6/2

16:
MIT/N
Fossils: 2/3
Green Generation: 1/8
Invasive Species: 1/5
Experimental Design: 3/20

17:
MIT/GG/Reg/State/N
Anatomy: 2/1/1/x/9
Ecology: 1/1/1/2/41
Invasive Species: 3/2/2/2/2
Rocks and Minerals: 4/3/1/3/4

GoofyFoofer

Postby GoofyFoofer » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:15 am

varunscs11 wrote:There are index fossils on the list (like explicitly stated)? Waht? But nonetheless, I use the index fossils chart from chart, but after a while its just intuitive.

Huh, I did not see that... :oops: Thanks, though!
Alumnus: Hermosa Valley School, California. Go Dolphins!!!
California Academy of Math and Science. Go Rebels!!!
Medal Count: 10
Wind Power, Ecology, Remote Sensing (why)
:D nuk nuk nuk 我喜歡科學

TavinM
Division: B
State: MO

Postby TavinM » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:04 pm

Me and my partner are new to this event. Does anyone have any suggestions on which field guide is the best. We have past experience with fossils, but are unsure to what level we will be tested at competition.

Thanks, Tavin and Max

Unome

Postby Unome » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:07 pm

TavinM wrote:Me and my partner are new to this event. Does anyone have any suggestions on which field guide is the best. We have past experience with fossils, but are unsure to what level we will be tested at competition.

Thanks, Tavin and Max

I'd suggest either Smithsonian or Audobon; both are good, although personally I rarely use the field guide during competition.
Userpage

Panda Weasley

Postby Panda Weasley » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:21 pm

So this is probably a stupid question, but hey I'm new to the event. When ID'ing the fossils they won't ask specific questions about the actual thing right (ie- mating, environmental impact, etc.)? It's just stuff relating to the fossil? I also noticed that the list is organized by taxonomy, are they going to ask questions about overall orders (etc.) like in Entomology?

Also, since we are allowed to bring a binder would it make sense to basically make our own field guide if we have time? Is anyone else doing this?
Last edited by Panda Weasley on Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DFTBA!
Events 2018: Forensics and Experimental Design
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:

JoJoKeKe
State: ID

Postby JoJoKeKe » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:24 pm

I participated in this event at the National Competition, Panda Weasley, and they almost never ask you questions like that, so you mainly only have to know about the fossil itself. However, there are occasionally a few ecological questions on the tests.
Tournaments (2016): State / Nationals
Fossils: 3 / 8
Disease: 7 / NA
Green Gen: NA / 37
Picture This: 1 / 17
Invasive Species: 1 / 24

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks & Minerals: 2
Microbe Mission: 2
Ecology: 3
Optics: 4 (When you only hit one mirror...)
Invasive Species: 1

azuritemalachite
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby azuritemalachite » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:16 am

Panda Weasley wrote:So this is probably a stupid question, but hey I'm new to the event. When ID'ing the fossils they won't ask specific questions about the actual thing right (ie- mating, environmental impact, etc.)? It's just stuff relating to the fossil? I also noticed that the list is organized by taxonomy, are they going to ask questions about overall orders (etc.) like in Entomology?

Also, since we are allowed to bring a binder would it make sense to basically make our own field guide if we have time? Is anyone else doing this?

In the event, they may ask you impact, but it's not very in-depth questions, it's mainly like 'Is this an index fossil?' type questions. They'll ask things relating to it's life when it was alive like it's mode of life (ie benthic [living on the ocean floor], pelagic [swimming], sessile [rooted to the ground], etc.), how it ate its food (ie filter feeding, etc), special traits (ie poisonous 'tooth'), anatomy of the fossil, etc. There's also stuff about the fossil like how it's formed and such. You'll notice that there's not too too much on dinosaurs, the mammals, and other larger animals since the event supervisor will probably not have the actual fossils, so it'll be identification based on pictures and people often repeat pictures.

There will probably be a taxonomy question at every other station, so yes it is probably going to be like entomology on that aspect. Also as a disclaimer, since I am basing this information on my experience in the B division, I don't really know what's going to be in the C division event. A tip is to leave no stone unturned (or something like that) and make sure you have basic information on everything listed on the official list.

I've never seen anyone actually make their own field guide and I don't think that's really recommended for competition, but you can bring any field guide even if it's not recommended Smithsonian or Audubon. I think that since you're also making the binder, which should essentially have everything you need to know, you don't really need a make another resource that'll have the same information. So yeah, this was a lot of typing...
azurite>malachite>chrysocolla
Come to Pangea today all around the globe. Our formal dinners are to die for! All dishes served on tectonic plates.
Don't be Angara that all the jokes are Gondwana.
PM any rock or mineral question! :arrow:

Return to “2016 Study Events”