bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Photos/Videos

Post by bernard »

Complete or still under construction, share your birds here!
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
DoctaDave
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Photos/Videos

Post by DoctaDave »

Share yours first! :)
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

DoctaDave wrote:Share yours first! :)
Yes, doctor. Weights a little over 3.5g and used a prop from last year, but I'm not competing. Also realized after taking the photo I forgot to attach the rudder. I'll try again tonight...
WS2016-1B.JPG
WS2016-1A.JPG
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
DoctaDave
State: CA

Post by DoctaDave »

Nice Model! The rolled fuselage looks great!

What's the reason for such a large dihedral? Also how come you didn't make the dihedral breaks at the tips like on a traditional model?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

DoctaDave wrote:Nice Model! The rolled fuselage looks great!

What's the reason for such a large dihedral? Also how come you didn't make the dihedral breaks at the tips like on a traditional model?
Thanks, David! Had a near-break for the motor stick while loading a motor, but some CA made it nice and stiff there now >.<

I've noticed my dihedrals have gotten greater with each plane I make. First dihedral wing I made was sufficient but it kept unintentionally increasing with each wing I made. Made the dihedral break around the center because it's easier and it's how I've it on all my SO models. I've got enough film left to made another wing, so maybe I'll try the breaks at the tips.
Less_Incidence
Division: C
State: CO

Post by Less_Incidence »

Personally I'm not a fan of V-shaped dihedral. It offsets the direction that lift is applied across the whole wing, plus I don't think it looks as cool as tip dihedral. Plus, any dihedral you have beyond what's required for stability and fighting high torque (depending on how much wing offset/washin you have and how much you're backing off when winding) is just adding unnecessary drag. But that's my view. Very nice model!

What thickness of wood is the fuselage? My F1M stick (flies on a 1.5 gram motor) is having a bit of an issue with flexibility and it's made from .022 wood rolled on a 1/4" form. I'm curious as to what you use.
2015-16 Events: (CMHS Invitational/Southern CO Regional/CO State)
Wright Stuff: //
Chem Lab: //
Electric Vehicle: //
Bridge Building: //

Lewis-Palmer High School class of 2016
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Less_Incidence wrote:What thickness of wood is the fuselage? My F1M stick (flies on a 1.5 gram motor) is having a bit of an issue with flexibility and it's made from .022 wood rolled on a 1/4" form. I'm curious as to what you use.
1/64" (0.0156") medium density balsa rolled on a 0.24" form.
InfiniCuber
State: IN

Post by InfiniCuber »

bernard wrote:
DoctaDave wrote:Nice Model! The rolled fuselage looks great!

Thanks, David! Had a near-break for the motor stick while loading a motor, but some CA made it nice and stiff there now >.<

I've noticed my dihedrals have gotten greater with each plane I make. First dihedral wing I made was sufficient but it kept unintentionally increasing with each wing I made. Made the dihedral break around the center because it's easier and it's how I've it on all my SO models. I've got enough film left to made another wing, so maybe I'll try the breaks at the tips.
I've mostly used the large dihedral model for my planes, and the only real reasoning I have is that I have noticed that it is more stable in "windy" conditions (say an air-conditioned gym). This may be just from the way I build ones with only dihedral tips and I may just be better at building ones with the full dihedral. Plus I personally like the look of em xD
Scioly isn't a club, or an organization. It is a lifestyle.
~Munster High School Science Olympiad Captain 2016~
TSOlympian

Post by TSOlympian »

So this isn't really flying that well, but I did come up with this.

I feel like a lot of the proportions are off and because my team is sort of new to this, I tried to make all the parts/lengths/distances adjustable. Hasn't really been working though as the plane just sort of sinks and drops to the ground. I guess you could say it dives, but it looks more like it's just really heavy and dropping straight down. Any tips?
Attachments
1800891_650156735124325_2122332377_n.jpg
Less_Incidence
State: CO

Post by Less_Incidence »

Be very careful with those paper flaps. Most ESs will count them as part of your wing chord, and could tier you down.

Other than that, the design looks fine. The rudder is about 3 times as big as I would use, and I would try putting the stabilizer on adjustable posts. But if the model isn't flying at all, we need more data to try to help you - rubber cross section, number of turns, location of the CG of the model (with motor attached), wing and stab incidence settings, et cetera. We really can't provide any useful help without knowing the exact circumstances of your flight attempts.
2015-16 Events: (CMHS Invitational/Southern CO Regional/CO State)
Wright Stuff: //
Chem Lab: //
Electric Vehicle: //
Bridge Building: //

Lewis-Palmer High School class of 2016

Return to “Wright Stuff C”