Dynamic Planet B/C

Locked
robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 1447
Joined: June 29th, 2008, 7:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: TX
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by robotman » August 22nd, 2015, 2:45 pm

Edit the [wiki][/wiki].
Upload to the Image Gallery
Get Medals

User avatar
windu34
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1353
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by windu34 » September 22nd, 2015, 6:02 pm

I dont understand 3.b. - Energy input/outputs. What does that entail? Is it just that the ocean is a heat sink and it keeps the Earths climate temperate throughout (rids it of extremes) etc?
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida State Tournament Director 2020
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Circuit Lab Event Supervisor for 2020: UT Austin (B/C), MIT (C), Solon (C), Princeton (C), Golden Gate (C), Nationals (C)

liberalartslover
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: April 25th, 2015, 1:18 am
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by liberalartslover » September 24th, 2015, 9:38 pm

Yeah basically. How does energy transfer between the earth/air. It's a pretty small portion and I don't really remember there being many questions related to that. Knowing temperature moderation/hydrogen bonding will get you through most of the questions.

User avatar
windu34
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1353
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by windu34 » September 25th, 2015, 4:01 am

liberalartslover wrote:Yeah basically. How does energy transfer between the earth/air. It's a pretty small portion and I don't really remember there being many questions related to that. Knowing temperature moderation/hydrogen bonding will get you through most of the questions.
Ok thanks. The national test was more concept-based than most regional and states tests which seem more vocab based. Do you see this is your state as well?
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida State Tournament Director 2020
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Circuit Lab Event Supervisor for 2020: UT Austin (B/C), MIT (C), Solon (C), Princeton (C), Golden Gate (C), Nationals (C)

liberalartslover
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: April 25th, 2015, 1:18 am
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by liberalartslover » September 25th, 2015, 11:50 am

Yeah NorCal's Dynamic State test is always RIDICULOUSLY long where nobody can finished and is basically a test of how fast you can recall vocab terms, etc. There are 2 essay questions that are difficult, but the test is merely difficult because of speed not content. There are some really obscure pictures and things from Wikipedia but I doubt those terms are useful outside of that one competition.

User avatar
windu34
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1353
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by windu34 » September 25th, 2015, 4:47 pm

liberalartslover wrote:Yeah NorCal's Dynamic State test is always RIDICULOUSLY long where nobody can finished and is basically a test of how fast you can recall vocab terms, etc. There are 2 essay questions that are difficult, but the test is merely difficult because of speed not content. There are some really obscure pictures and things from Wikipedia but I doubt those terms are useful outside of that one competition.
Do you mostly include pics in your cheat sheets or words?
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida State Tournament Director 2020
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Circuit Lab Event Supervisor for 2020: UT Austin (B/C), MIT (C), Solon (C), Princeton (C), Golden Gate (C), Nationals (C)

liberalartslover
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: April 25th, 2015, 1:18 am
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by liberalartslover » September 26th, 2015, 11:43 am

A combination of both. My partner usually does the cheat sheet, but I'm a believer in leaving the cheat sheet as the last thing you do and filling it with things you don't want to memorize. Having pictures on there is also beneficial if you want to ID things but that's not really the focus of the event. Diagrams and strong, prewritten answers to common essay questions that you can copy onto the test are much more valuable. I guess some vocabulary is always nice to have a textbook definition of too because with 8 sides it can sometimes be difficult to fill it up completely.

User avatar
windu34
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1353
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by windu34 » September 26th, 2015, 12:49 pm

liberalartslover wrote:A combination of both. My partner usually does the cheat sheet, but I'm a believer in leaving the cheat sheet as the last thing you do and filling it with things you don't want to memorize. Having pictures on there is also beneficial if you want to ID things but that's not really the focus of the event. Diagrams and strong, prewritten answers to common essay questions that you can copy onto the test are much more valuable. I guess some vocabulary is always nice to have a textbook definition of too because with 8 sides it can sometimes be difficult to fill it up completely.
Yeah they give us a lot of space. Good idea with the textbook answers.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida State Tournament Director 2020
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Circuit Lab Event Supervisor for 2020: UT Austin (B/C), MIT (C), Solon (C), Princeton (C), Golden Gate (C), Nationals (C)

brayden box
Member
Member
Posts: 90
Joined: September 21st, 2015, 7:43 am
Division: B
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by brayden box » October 7th, 2015, 9:58 am

Last year, I did mostly definitions and a few maps and diagrams. We forgot the formulas, and we didn't do too well. (23rd!) :cry: Don't forget the formulas!!!!!!!( For density, buoyancy, etc.)
BBOX

User avatar
windu34
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1353
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by windu34 » October 9th, 2015, 8:21 am

brayden box wrote:Last year, I did mostly definitions and a few maps and diagrams. We forgot the formulas, and we didn't do too well. (23rd!) :cry: Don't forget the formulas!!!!!!!( For density, buoyancy, etc.)
23rd at nats?
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida State Tournament Director 2020
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Circuit Lab Event Supervisor for 2020: UT Austin (B/C), MIT (C), Solon (C), Princeton (C), Golden Gate (C), Nationals (C)

Locked

Return to “2016 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests