[chat][/chat]
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by windu34 »

I dont understand 3.b. - Energy input/outputs. What does that entail? Is it just that the ocean is a heat sink and it keeps the Earths climate temperate throughout (rids it of extremes) etc?
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
liberalartslover
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by liberalartslover »

Yeah basically. How does energy transfer between the earth/air. It's a pretty small portion and I don't really remember there being many questions related to that. Knowing temperature moderation/hydrogen bonding will get you through most of the questions.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

liberalartslover wrote:Yeah basically. How does energy transfer between the earth/air. It's a pretty small portion and I don't really remember there being many questions related to that. Knowing temperature moderation/hydrogen bonding will get you through most of the questions.
Ok thanks. The national test was more concept-based than most regional and states tests which seem more vocab based. Do you see this is your state as well?
liberalartslover

Yeah NorCal's Dynamic State test is always RIDICULOUSLY long where nobody can finished and is basically a test of how fast you can recall vocab terms, etc. There are 2 essay questions that are difficult, but the test is merely difficult because of speed not content. There are some really obscure pictures and things from Wikipedia but I doubt those terms are useful outside of that one competition.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

liberalartslover wrote:Yeah NorCal's Dynamic State test is always RIDICULOUSLY long where nobody can finished and is basically a test of how fast you can recall vocab terms, etc. There are 2 essay questions that are difficult, but the test is merely difficult because of speed not content. There are some really obscure pictures and things from Wikipedia but I doubt those terms are useful outside of that one competition.
Do you mostly include pics in your cheat sheets or words?
liberalartslover

A combination of both. My partner usually does the cheat sheet, but I'm a believer in leaving the cheat sheet as the last thing you do and filling it with things you don't want to memorize. Having pictures on there is also beneficial if you want to ID things but that's not really the focus of the event. Diagrams and strong, prewritten answers to common essay questions that you can copy onto the test are much more valuable. I guess some vocabulary is always nice to have a textbook definition of too because with 8 sides it can sometimes be difficult to fill it up completely.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

liberalartslover wrote:A combination of both. My partner usually does the cheat sheet, but I'm a believer in leaving the cheat sheet as the last thing you do and filling it with things you don't want to memorize. Having pictures on there is also beneficial if you want to ID things but that's not really the focus of the event. Diagrams and strong, prewritten answers to common essay questions that you can copy onto the test are much more valuable. I guess some vocabulary is always nice to have a textbook definition of too because with 8 sides it can sometimes be difficult to fill it up completely.
Yeah they give us a lot of space. Good idea with the textbook answers.
brayden box
Division: B
State: NY

Post by brayden box »

Last year, I did mostly definitions and a few maps and diagrams. We forgot the formulas, and we didn't do too well. (23rd!) :cry: Don't forget the formulas!!!!!!!( For density, buoyancy, etc.)
BBOX
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

brayden box wrote:Last year, I did mostly definitions and a few maps and diagrams. We forgot the formulas, and we didn't do too well. (23rd!) :cry: Don't forget the formulas!!!!!!!( For density, buoyancy, etc.)
23rd at nats?

Return to “2016 Study Events”