windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Post by windu34 »

daycd wrote:
windu34 wrote:Im just stating what i believe to be the purpose. Its likely nobody at nats used the graphs the way i described
Right, I understand. This is why I said we disagree. But that is OK :)

I just got the new rules and there is a little less room to make adjustments between shots. And less height to drop the weight. I'm pretty sure our design from last year will not work with the rule changes. I guess that is their intent.
Yeah. Its gonna be tough with the new height restriction
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
N_Selwa
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by N_Selwa »

can u use a counter wieght for air trajectory in division b
laidlawe18
Division: C
State: RI

Post by laidlawe18 »

What do you mean by a counter weight?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

N_Selwa wrote:can u use a counter wieght for air trajectory in division b
How are you using it? If you use a weight on your device to stabilize it and it does not contribute to the launch force, then it should be allowed. Disclaimer that this isn't the place for official clarifications.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Sidvin

Post by Sidvin »

Hey guys, can anyone please recommend how to make a piston for putting inside the pipe to hit the ping pong ball and also please tell me what I can make it out of very detailed-ly?
Thanks,

Sid
:)
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Sidvin wrote:Hey guys, can anyone please recommend how to make a piston for putting inside the pipe to hit the ping pong ball and also please tell me what I can make it out of very detailed-ly?
Thanks,

Sid
Do you have access to a 3-D printer?
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Sidvin wrote:Hey guys, can anyone please recommend how to make a piston for putting inside the pipe to hit the ping pong ball and also please tell me what I can make it out of very detailed-ly?
Thanks,

Sid
O-ring around a plastic part, which can be easily designed and 3D printed if you have access to that. If not, try 3 disks: 2 a bit larger and 1 a bit smaller in diameter. Drill a hole down the middle of all disks, sandwich in this order through a threaded rod: large, smaller, large; the o-ring goes around the smaller one. Use nuts/washers to fix the disks in place. I can make a diagram in a day if this isn't clear. And use lubrication. You might need 2 pistons on a rod (kind of like a barbell) so the piston only moves linearly...
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Argus

Post by Argus »

Has anyone seen a successful device using a piston? I'm sure it is possible but i havent seen a really good one at a competition and if anyone did use one what kind of scores did you get?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Argus wrote:Has anyone seen a successful device using a piston? I'm sure it is possible but i havent seen a really good one at a competition and if anyone did use one what kind of scores did you get?
We used a bike pump last year, which involves a piston, not made by us though. It can work quite consistently. And a bonus is that all the parts are made in factories so they are close enough to perfect.
brayden box
Division: B
State: NY

Post by brayden box »

Last year we used a piece of PVC pipe, about 5 inches tall, filled it with rocks, and used air pressure, dropping it down another bigger PVC pipe. Looks like it will be a lot harder than it was last year.
BBOX

Return to “Air Trajectory B/C”