Super Glue

brayden box
Division: B
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Super Glue

Post by brayden box »

What are some good types of super glue to use, and what are some different ways to apply it?
BBOX
JonB
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: FL

Re: Super Glue

Post by JonB »

brayden box wrote:What are some good types of super glue to use, and what are some different ways to apply it?

Insta Cure+

Use some of the methods talked about in the threads this year. We use micropipette tips on the ends of the bottles.
brayden box
Division: B
State: NY

Post by brayden box »

Where would you get micropipettes? And are they expensive?
BBOX
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

brayden box wrote:Where would you get micropipettes? And are they expensive?
You can get micropipette tips from the internet, or a science teacher at your school might have some. For JonB's approach, you do not need a micropipette, just the disposable plastic tips.

I've used transfer pipettes, also plastic and disposable. Take a disposable pipette, stretch the tip with pliers and you'll have a narrower tip. Cut the pipette at a wider section, attach to the top of your glue nozzle. Picture here: http://www.scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 30#p281870.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Here's another alternative for applying small amounts of CA to light structures. This is what I coach Wright Stuff competitors to use.
http://www.gryffinaero.com/models/ffpag ... yaapp.html

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
rigor_boi
State: MA

Post by rigor_boi »

What viscosity of CA glue (Insta-cure, to be specific) would be optimal for a bridge? Does it matter?
0ddrenaline
State: MI

Post by 0ddrenaline »

rigor_boi wrote:What viscosity of CA glue (Insta-cure, to be specific) would be optimal for a bridge? Does it matter?
The medium viscosity purple bottle will be good most of the time. On rare occasions I use the super thin blue bottle glue when medium can't do the job. Super thin is easily absorbed by the wood, so it's not effective to press the wood together after putting the glue on like you can with medium viscosity. It can be used to put glue in tight areas when I absolutely need it. Using the super thick pink bottle glue probably isn't a good idea, as it just does the job of medium with a needless amount of extra weight.
rigor_boi

Post by rigor_boi »

I also have some "E6000 Industrial Strength Adhesive." It doesn't seem to be CA, but it looks pretty legit to me. How do you guys feel about this?
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

rigor_boi wrote:I also have some "E6000 Industrial Strength Adhesive." It doesn't seem to be CA, but it looks pretty legit to me. How do you guys feel about this?
1) How heavy is it?
2) Can you apply it in very small amounts?
3) Is it safe?
This is assuming it's strong enough to work, which I don't know about.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
rigor_boi

Post by rigor_boi »

I am not quite sure about "safe". The package has several warnings about how it has "Possible Cancer Risk" and "May Cause Kidney Damage", but I will do whatever it takes to win this so that shouldn't be a big deal.

It comes in a tube without a pipette tip or anything, but I can probably get away with attaching a micro pipette tip to it or something.

"Industrial Strength" seems pretty good to me in terms of bond strength.

However, it seems like this is not feasible anyway, since I just realized the curing time is 24 hours...

Return to “Bridge Building B/C”