Fossils B/C

ampy1234567
Division: C
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by ampy1234567 »

Do we need to know about the pre-Cambrian time periods? From my understanding you don't because there were basically no fossils from that time but I just wanna make sure.
Mounds View High School, 10th grade

2016 Nationals: Dynamic (2), Disease (6), Crave (8), Fossils (22)
2017 Nationals: Disease (1), Dynamic (2), Optics (5)
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

ampy1234567 wrote:Do we need to know about the pre-Cambrian time periods? From my understanding you don't because there were basically no fossils from that time but I just wanna make sure.
I'd suggest you know them just in case; there are certainly important fossils from there, just none of them are on the list.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
State: IN

Post by 89301262 »

Unome wrote:
ampy1234567 wrote:Do we need to know about the pre-Cambrian time periods? From my understanding you don't because there were basically no fossils from that time but I just wanna make sure.
I'd suggest you know them just in case; there are certainly important fossils from there, just none of them are on the list.
Last year there was mention of the Pre-Cambrain era on a regionals test, but not specifically fossils in it. I'd still suggest learning it.
Medal Count:17
2013 EVENTS:
Forestry
Keep the Heat
Shock Value
2014 EVENTS:
Robo-Cross
Shock Value
CJAP
2015 EVENTS:
Robo-Cross (1st at Nationals :D )
CJAP
Wheeled Vehicle
Fossils
2016 Events:
Fossils
Robot Arm
Game On
Electric Vehicle
rockster
State: NY

Post by rockster »

So, one of the things we have toj know is adaptations and morphologic features of major fossil groups, but what exactly are they talking about? Like Class Placodermi or more specific like each Genus? So confused about that.
Senior year and ready to Rock the Rocks and Minerals :twisted:
varunscs11
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by varunscs11 »

By major groups they mean all groups on the list (its like anatomy of major groups but they can ask about the anatomy of any group). For nationals they follow the rules to the dot but if you want to do well at invitationals you should know it for every group :D
Liberal Arts and Science Academy 2015-2017
University of Pennsylvania 2021
MIT Rocks and Minerals 2018, Fossils 2019

varunscs11's Userpage
rockster

Post by rockster »

varunscs11 wrote:By major groups they mean all groups on the list (its like anatomy of major groups but they can ask about the anatomy of any group). For nationals they follow the rules to the dot but if you want to do well at invitationals you should know it for every group :D
ok thanks
Senior year and ready to Rock the Rocks and Minerals :twisted:
embokim

Post by embokim »

Does anyone want to give some useful tips on what to study for the Geologic Time Scale. Thanks. :?:
Happy to be here
azuritemalachite
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by azuritemalachite »

embokim wrote:Does anyone want to give some useful tips on what to study for the Geologic Time Scale. Thanks. :?:
Make sure you know the time period for each organism on the list and then have a large timescale in your binder for reference. (This is the one I use: http://www.geosociety.org/science/timescale/timescl.pdf) For general time scale stuff, know the extinctions and the explosions (You know Permian Extinction, Cambrian Explosion, et cetera et cetera) and for general reference know a little bit about what occured in each period of the Paleozoic Era since a lot of organisms are going to have more specific time ranges (For example, Carboniferous had a lot of trees and plants and stuff).

For future reference, my favorite website currently is http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/index.php. (go to Online Exhibits and then History of life through time and THEN click on list of available taxa and then click on whatever needed)
NB: I use this website mainly for invertebrates and http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/dinosaurs/ for the dinosaurs.
azurite>malachite>chrysocolla
Come to Pangea today all around the globe. Our formal dinners are to die for! All dishes served on tectonic plates.
Don't be Angara that all the jokes are Gondwana.
PM any rock or mineral question! :arrow:
coprolite_dipstick
Division: B
State: CA

Post by coprolite_dipstick »

embokim wrote:Does anyone want to give some useful tips on what to study for the Geologic Time Scale. Thanks. :?:
More stuff about geologic time scale (yay!)

I recommend this document - it has simple text, simple illustrations, pretty helpful stuff if simplicity helps your brain wrap itself around certain topics. It explains it pretty well for such a simple document :D

Also -- know the nicknames for each period of time: for example, the Devonian period is known as the "Age of Fish" or the "Age of Fishes." That's something that you could write in on your large timescale for reference, I guess. If you go onto the petrified wood museum website, there's a 2009 state fossil test from Colorado with a whole station on time periods (Station 9, for your reference). If you look on the answer key, you can get all the answers from it, which tell you "devonian was the age of fish" "during the carboniferous, there were widespread coal swamps" etc.

Another tip (mostly just an organization tip, but still):

Personally, I think it's a good idea to write between the columns and in the margins of the official fossil list in your binder - next to each organism, you can write the time period(s) in which it lived. Another thing I like to do is put color coded dots in front of the number - red is index fossil, green is extant, etc (I would do that with time periods as well, but it's a bit of a hassle to memorize what color = which period).
2016: CVMC/CV Invite/Mesa Robles/Reg/State
ExpD: 1/1/1/1/9
Foss: 3/1/8/4/1
Green Gen: 2/1/4/1/7
Met: 2/2/3/8/4
the dipstick is an intricate device used to measure the amount of rain in a rain gauge. it can also be used as a derogatory term for your meteorology partners
JoJoKeKe
State: ID

Post by JoJoKeKe »

Hi, everyone-

Some of you might remember me from this thread last year. My first question regarding this year is: "Where did you guys get all of your taxonomy information relating to all the different organisms?"

For my other event I've been using itis.gov, but I've found this ineffective for Fossils. What have you guys been using? Are there any "Holy grail" websites that you have been using to study and find invaluable pictures of specimens? Thank you all!!! :)
Tournaments (2016): State / Nationals
Fossils: 3 / 8
Disease: 7 / NA
Green Gen: NA / 37
Picture This: 1 / 17
Invasives: 1 / 24

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks - 2
Microbe 2
Ecology 3
Optics 4
Invasives: 1