Outside the Southern Tier results issues which have been discussed quite a bit...I would like to cut into what seems like strong tensions, I think everyone gets where Lampooning is coming from here in saying that issues with releasing results is important, they should be handled, but also east does have a point. Given that both sides have issues, both sides are correct in some ways...there's a point where maybe there might be more productive ways to progress the conversation than quoting this and that, etc...
Something different! So you think FM + Ward eh? I guess I should just hedge bets and give some predictions for a top 10, it'll make for interesting discussion and maybe remind me what's going on. Looking into some of the results around, predictions are very hard to make, but life shouldn't be easy:
1. FM (This is just going off of MIT, though I definitely will admit things can change. But hey, FM has the tendency to get better during the year and...okay, probably most teams do. I figure they probably would get top 2 anyway, so let's just go with this because they do have quite the strong track record considering well over the past decade)
2. Columbia (Over the past few years they've just been getting better, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that was a strong base of seniors that finally graduated, kind of like Ward a bit back. I'll just bet they still have a lot of power, but we'll see)
3. Ward (I'd argue their constant influx of people from Gelinas/Murphy on top of their consistent track record makes them pretty high up there. Even if their regionals don't seem 100% perfection, I think they'll probably get better for states)
4. Syosset (Hey, I'm not that biased to go and give them top 3 quite yet because I don't know if much has changed compared to previous years. I know they got straight medals at regionals, so they might be a bit better for states compared to previous years. I'd actually give 3rd or better, but I'm giving somewhat safe bets here based on past states results)
5. Mount Academy (I would put Half Hollow here, but considering Yale, Mount Academy continuously doing well, and the fact that Half Hollow has been doing worse at regs/Islip...I don't think it's too much of a stretch to give Mount Academy a top 5, here's hoping for their first!)
6. Brighton (Well, Webster Schroeder would go here considering last year, but Brighton did slightly better at regionals...now that doesn't mean all that much, but I figure teams 6 - 14 I'm basically taking stabs in the dark, so here goes one)
7. HHHE (They've been extraordinary over the past batch of years. But considering Islip + regionals...well, something has to give. I would give them 6th, but I feel like some other team might get it, and on the other hand I think they haven't fallen down so much. ~4th -> ~7th isn't a huge leap considering a few more bad events than usual even if they get fixed by states a little is all it takes...here's where irony comes or something and they get 3rd or something)
8. GNS (Ah, this is tough...I figured GNS has done pretty well at invites, so maybe that extra practice will boost them up a little, and considering their competition is probably quite on par, this extra practice is all that's needed to edge other teams out. On the other hand, I don't know if it's quite enough to get into the death block that is the top 6, and I shall keep guessing from past states results that probably don't have bearing on this year)
9. Spackenkill (Well, they definitely won't do badly at states considering invites, but I get the feeling GNS is slightly more consistent from their regionals scores. Bombs kill teams quite a bit, especially at states)
10. Kellenberg (I get the feeling this very well could go to any team, but I like BroNi too much to not give it to his team. That and they do go to enough invites to warrant the "practice had to do something" excuse, like with GNS. The one issue I have is they seemed to do slightly worse at regs compared with GNS, so I get the feeling that Spackenkill might just edge them out if all the teams are on par at states just based on Islip)
Other not quite dark horses in no order: Townsend Harris, Webster Schroeder, Williamsville East, Stuyvesant, Islip...and here is where I'll be very intrigued to see the entire state's rankings get flipped around XD.
Well, that was really tough. To be honest, I feel like places 6 - 10 are probably all wrong, but I had to guess something! Hopefully at least the teams in the top 5 are right, though that wouldn't be as surprising as getting the order right. In fact, I hope this is all wrong!
Last bit: Good luck to B teams competing at regionals this weekend!!!
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)