Awesomely Run Event Stories

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
moumantai
Division: C
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Awesomely Run Event Stories

Post by moumantai »

The room for Invasive Species (regionals) at HCC was amazing. In the testing room itself, there were several (maybe 4-5) tanks of several axolotls each. I guess my only complaint would be that they (and the gigantic bird-of-prey taxidermy on a ceiling perch) distracted me out of being fascinating (and really cute). After we were done with our test, we were allowed into another classroom, which had tanks featuring other animals, like many snakes, more axolotls, turtles, and some pretty weird fish. Oh, right, and more taxidermy...
Fibonacci924
Division: Grad
State: MN

Post by Fibonacci924 »

The Wind Power at Boyceville was run immaculately. The test was just the right amount of difficulty and they actually gave you time for it.
"Truth is like poetry. And most people *butterfly* hate poetry."- Overheard in a Washington DC bar.

Always remember: P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney.

Two time member of the Eternal Order of the Assassinators
Entomology
State: CA

Post by Entomology »

The invasive species event at SoCal state was great.
Even spacing between teams, HUGE tables, clear photos, and excellent proctoring. The test was nice, it tested the right stuff and even some cool concepts and laws, which many tests lack. It was organized and well run. The timing was strict, it really kept you on your toes, and you had to be quick.
CCA '20 Captain
Herpetology, Fossils, Boomilever, Mousetrap Vehicle
[NerdyTotoro]

Post by [NerdyTotoro] »

@Entomology SAMEEEEEEEEE! The testing room was so cool as well.

(idk how to reply...)
:idea:
LIPX3

Post by LIPX3 »

At State for Wisconsin Division B, Crave the Wave was awesome. The ES actually wrote the test. We had samples of materials and had to find the reflective index, and we were given a machine that creates transverse waves and had to figure out the Hz and wavelength. Invasive Species was good too, the questions were difficult.
dhdarren
State: OH

Post by dhdarren »

Still don't know his name, but there's a gentleman who's been the ES for Wright Stuff at every Northeast Ohio Invitational that I've been to (Solon, Kenston, Mentor, etc.) since last year, and probably much longer than that with other flying events, since I'm only a sophomore and have only been doing Scioly since last year. I believe he's a parent/coach at Cleveland Heights. But anyway, he has always been so knowledgeable and prepared for the event; he knows every rule, every way to build a good plane, and the best ways to run the event. As a newbie in Wright Stuff last year, he gave so many helpful tips in regards to building, flying, and winding. He always have everything with him from tools, to good scales, to poles for getting planes down from basketball hoops (once, at the Mentor invite i think, my plane flew right into the basketball hoop for both of my flights, and I took several minutes each time trying to get it down XD). I really couldn't ask for a more knowledgable and helpful ES. Whatever your name is, bravo and thank you!!!
2015:
R | S
Bridge: 1 | 8
AirTraj: 5 | 26
WS: 12 | 9
Scrambler: 6 | 17
DP: 7 | X

2016:
Bridge: 2 | 15
AirTraj: 2 | 6
WS: 3 | 11
DP: 4 | 15
GeoMap: 4 | 25

2017:
Heli: 1 | 1
Hover: 1 | 4
Towers: 2 | 15
DP: 1 | 6
Wind: 2 | 8
2018:
R | S
Heli:
Hover:
Towers:
DP:
Eco:
MV:[/b]
aherthabey

Post by aherthabey »

This is really old, but I really enjoyed the Green Generation test at Boyceville 2015. The test was very well-written, with a good mix of multiple choice, short answer and analysis for each of the three parts—as opposed to the slew of multiple choice questions that Green Generation often becomes. I couldn't ask for a better test.
Wayzata High School Science Olympiad 2013-2016
LIPX3

Post by LIPX3 »

aherthabey wrote:This is really old, but I really enjoyed the Green Generation test at Boyceville 2015. The test was very well-written, with a good mix of multiple choice, short answer and analysis for each of the three parts—as opposed to the slew of multiple choice questions that Green Generation often becomes. I couldn't ask for a better test.
For B or C? I thought the B test was very well written, probably the best I've taken. It was the exact opposite of Wisconsin State...
aherthabey

Post by aherthabey »

LIPX3 wrote:
aherthabey wrote:This is really old, but I really enjoyed the Green Generation test at Boyceville 2015. The test was very well-written, with a good mix of multiple choice, short answer and analysis for each of the three parts—as opposed to the slew of multiple choice questions that Green Generation often becomes. I couldn't ask for a better test.
For B or C? I thought the B test was very well written, probably the best I've taken. It was the exact opposite of Wisconsin State...
C. Comparing the C test to the B test, I liked the format of the C test better (there were like 50 multiple choice questions on the B test, right?)
One of the short answer questions at the end was pulled from an AP test, if I recall correctly lol.
Wayzata High School Science Olympiad 2013-2016
LIPX3

Post by LIPX3 »

aherthabey wrote:
LIPX3 wrote:
C. Comparing the C test to the B test, I liked the format of the C test better (there were like 50 multiple choice questions on the B test, right?)
One of the short answer questions at the end was pulled from an AP test, if I recall correctly lol.
It was a lot multiple choice, but a lot harder. I only got about 70% correct, compared to most test where I get about 95%. The essay question was really hard, but I don't remember what it was and my coach put all the tests in the archive room.

Return to “General Competition”