SciOly Assassination 107: The Unforgivable Curses

Panda Weasley
Division: C
Has thanked: 0

Re: SciOly Assassination 107: The Unforgivable Curses

Post by Panda Weasley »

JasperKota wrote:We should probably protect others as well though to be safe; yesterday we thought it could be Raven because she goes to Bala Cynwyd (Welsh) and her name is a bird (White falcon). We don't know if she has a forums account though...
Raven sounds likely. Do you know of anyone else from Bala Cynwyd on the forums?
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
-Groundhog-
Division: B
State: WA
Been thanked: 0

Post by -Groundhog- »

Panda Weasley wrote:Do you know of anyone else from Bala Cynwyd on the forums?
Unfortunately, their Wiki page doesn't list members.

The only thing about this is that there seems to be too many links. I mean, with the Magnum clue, the correct answer was pretty obvious (once found, of course) and fit easily and didn't take too many steps. What we have now seems to be a bit thinly connected as well (Eek! This is starting to sound a bit critical, but I'm sorry, I'm not great at wording things that way).
"The only people you should get even with are those who have helped you."

2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Crime Busters, Meteorology, Reach for the Stars, Rocks and Minerals, Write It Do It

2016: Crave the Wave, Crime Busters, Meteorology, Picture This, Reach for the Stars
daydreamer0023
Division: Grad

Post by daydreamer0023 »

I think I've found something: http://scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php? ... 3&start=15
The User maxxxxx mentioned a member from Bala Cynwyd.

But then again...that could be a false lead. Hope it helps though! :) And I do think your original thoughts are probably correct, but I'm just mentioning this since someone asked.
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!
Assassinator
Posting Games Account

Post by Assassinator »

I snuck around the halls, trying to ignore the hustle and bustle. Today was the biggest Quidditch match of the season, and it would hopefully result in the second killing. I brought out my special obsidian skeleton key to unlock the already-closed gates to the Quidditch stadium. Luckily, it opened on my first try. Wand pointed at Gavinnupp, I was about to utter the fatal words, but Jaol was standing nvrbjfalt for me to get him.

You have 48 hours.
mogus
JasperKota
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by JasperKota »

Assassinator wrote:I snuck around the halls, trying to ignore the hustle and bustle. Today was the biggest Quidditch match of the season, and it would hopefully result in the second killing. I brought out my special obsidian skeleton key to unlock the already-closed gates to the Quidditch stadium. Luckily, it opened on my first try. Wand pointed at Gavinnupp, I was about to utter the fatal words, but Jaol was standing nvrbjfalt for me to get him.

You have 48 hours.
Okay, so I think the clue would be "nvrbjfalt" then and the person's name has to fit there, I tried getting an anagram but it doesn't seem to work.
2020 Events: Fossils, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff, Ping Pong Parachute
2019 Events: Fossils, Mousetrap Vehicle, Wright Stuff
2018 Events: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Parasitology, WIDI
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Wright Stuff
2016 Events: Crave the Wave, Dynamic Planet, Invasives
Eat_Sleep_SO
State: IL

Post by Eat_Sleep_SO »

Ok so if you reverse the letters to the opposite in the alphabet, it creates meiyquzog, which I translated to "my iq is og" but that has nothing to do with anything so I am probably going nowhere with this.
You will never have this day again so make it count.
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by dragonfruit35 »

Whose usernames are 9 characters long? Groundhog again? That'd be kinda weird, but just a thought.
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"it's not a pen, it's a principle!" - annie edison
azuritemalachite
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by azuritemalachite »

I think a hint might be the fact that the sassy said "black obsidian skeleton key" which could be a key for a keyed cipher? I think this is a very plausible thought, but so far I haven't found anything from the keyed cipher yet.
azurite>malachite>chrysocolla
Come to Pangea today all around the globe. Our formal dinners are to die for! All dishes served on tectonic plates.
Don't be Angara that all the jokes are Gondwana.
PM any rock or mineral question! :arrow:
-Groundhog-
State: WA

Post by -Groundhog- »

Assassinator wrote:special obsidian skeleton key
Not black.

Apparently an obsidian skeleton key is a level 85 consumable crafted thing in World of Warcraft, which can be won by using the specialization of druid, hunter, monk, shaman, or monk (by the way, I have no idea what that means). There's a guy named "Hunter of Artemis" who posted once in 2012, and someone named "Hunter99" who posted once in 2013. No one else has anything similar to the other names. The numbers about the key I've found are 20, 85, 425, 472, 8, and 75. http://www.wowhead.com/item=55053/obsidium-skeleton-key

I don't think it's me because a couple letters repeat in my name, but not in "nvrbjfalt".

Also, I've been thinking about "nvrbjfalt" in context of the sentence. Unless anyone's name is "nearby" or "too close" or something like that, I can't think of anything that would make much sense.
"The only people you should get even with are those who have helped you."

2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Crime Busters, Meteorology, Reach for the Stars, Rocks and Minerals, Write It Do It

2016: Crave the Wave, Crime Busters, Meteorology, Picture This, Reach for the Stars
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

I agree that the special obsidian skeleton key is important, but I have no clue how it may play a role. I'm also confused by the cipher. Is that just to throw us off or does a member name go there? I'll just go continue searching the internet confusedly in the corner.

EDIT: Just had a thought- not sure if it's helpful at all. Do you guys think Quidditch is important? The assassinator used the key to open the Quidditch stadium, maybe that's where the key comes in and the other stuff is to throw us off? I know I've mentioned Quidditch quite a lot and East used to play (or still plays?). I doubt they'd target East, but it might be worth seeing if any active members who aren't admin play Quidditch. I can look through Quidditch posts later, but I don't have time right now.
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:

Return to “Assassinator Games”