Events 2016-2017

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Events 2016-2017

Post by windu34 »

I_wilsonp wrote:It was a real pain that this year the voltage limit for Electric Vehicle was 7.2V, when lithium ion batteries are either 3.7V or 7.4V. Leaves us stuck with temperamental NiMH batteries when Li-ions are so much easier to use.
Lipos are also a safety hazard. NIMH is much safer to use.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
T-55M
Division: C
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by T-55M »

windu34 wrote:
I_wilsonp wrote:It was a real pain that this year the voltage limit for Electric Vehicle was 7.2V, when lithium ion batteries are either 3.7V or 7.4V. Leaves us stuck with temperamental NiMH batteries when Li-ions are so much easier to use.
Lipos are also a safety hazard. NIMH is much safer to use.
Most Li-ion batteries I used were OK, although I did have one stop working. However, personally, I think the 9V battery is the best option, since it is lighter.
"Hold what you got and hit them where you can." --Ernest J. King, CNO

Regionals/States/Nats:
Materials Science 2/2/8, Chemistry Lab 1/2/4, Electric Vehicle 58/2/28, Astronomy 2/3/40, Wind Power 9/4/24, Optics 27/17/11, Robot Arm 57/1/X (EV, Robot DQ'd at regionals)

don't do builds
ngoctrinhkorea
State: OR

Post by ngoctrinhkorea »

Thanks that really helped, but do you have any tips for tryouts?
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

The rules for hovercraft were posted a few days ago. Will it become an event next year?
Jaol
State: GA

Post by Jaol »

retired1 wrote:The rules for hovercraft were posted a few days ago. Will it become an event next year?
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MtP ... sp=sharing Yeah.
trentomology1999
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MI

Remote Sensing 2016-2017

Post by trentomology1999 »

I know this is quite early (this is before nationals after all), but I was wondering if there is any idea out there of what the topic for remote sensing will be for the coming year. I have not seen any explicit information on the topic just yet, so I have a feeling there is no answer quite yet, but is there any "cycle" associated with the event that could maybe point towards a topic?
2017 Season
WOSO/Regionals/State/Nationals
Astronomy: 3/2/ /
Dynamic: 1/6/ /
Hydrogeology: 1/1/ /
Remote Sensing: 1/1/ /
Rocks and Mins: 1/1/ /
Team: 4,5/1/ /
Go Grand Haven!!
appleshake123
State: PA

Re: Remote Sensing 2016-2017

Post by appleshake123 »

trentomology1999 wrote:I know this is quite early (this is before nationals after all), but I was wondering if there is any idea out there of what the topic for remote sensing will be for the coming year. I have not seen any explicit information on the topic just yet, so I have a feeling there is no answer quite yet, but is there any "cycle" associated with the event that could maybe point towards a topic?
Possibly the Wisconsin Trial event rules will be similar to next year's Remote Sensing rules.
Bayard Rustin Class of 2018
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Class of 2022
Shock Value
It's About Time
Geologic Mapping
Dynamic Planet
Fermi
Hydrogeology
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

appleshake123 wrote:
trentomology1999 wrote:I know this is quite early (this is before nationals after all), but I was wondering if there is any idea out there of what the topic for remote sensing will be for the coming year. I have not seen any explicit information on the topic just yet, so I have a feeling there is no answer quite yet, but is there any "cycle" associated with the event that could maybe point towards a topic?
Possibly the Wisconsin Trial event rules will be similar to next year's Remote Sensing rules.
The trial rules being used do say "2017 ES Committee Suggested Version," so I'm thinking that'll be the best way to figure out next year's topic.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
trentomology1999
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MI

Post by trentomology1999 »

Unome wrote:
appleshake123 wrote:
The trial rules being used do say "2017 ES Committee Suggested Version," so I'm thinking that'll be the best way to figure out next year's topic.
Thank you! It's going to be tough studying for this event over the summer because of the unclear topic. Might have to just stick to the basics then...
2017 Season
WOSO/Regionals/State/Nationals
Astronomy: 3/2/ /
Dynamic: 1/6/ /
Hydrogeology: 1/1/ /
Remote Sensing: 1/1/ /
Rocks and Mins: 1/1/ /
Team: 4,5/1/ /
Go Grand Haven!!
appleshake123
State: PA

Post by appleshake123 »

trentomology1999 wrote:
Unome wrote:
appleshake123 wrote:
Thank you! It's going to be tough studying for this event over the summer because of the unclear topic. Might have to just stick to the basics then...
As with most scioly events, just learn anything on relating to remote sensing in any aspect.
Bayard Rustin Class of 2018
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Class of 2022
Shock Value
It's About Time
Geologic Mapping
Dynamic Planet
Fermi
Hydrogeology

Return to “General Competition”