Dynamic Planet B/C

Sciencegeekgirl
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by Sciencegeekgirl »

windu34 wrote:
Sciencegeekgirl wrote:I'm currently reading Essentials of Oceanorgraphy 10the edition. If I read the entire book, would that be enough for Nationals?

Thanks in advance.
no
Then what other book should I read?
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Sciencegeekgirl wrote:
windu34 wrote:
Sciencegeekgirl wrote:I'm currently reading Essentials of Oceanorgraphy 10the edition. If I read the entire book, would that be enough for Nationals?

Thanks in advance.
no
You cant just read a couple textbooks and expect to do well at nat. Its just not that easy. Taking tons of practice tests and doing test corrections and refining your cheat sheet over and over again discovering new topics to focus on is imo the best way.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
azuritemalachite
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by azuritemalachite »

windu34 wrote:
Sciencegeekgirl wrote:
windu34 wrote: no
You can't just read a couple textbooks and expect to do well at nat. It's just not that easy. Taking tons of practice tests and doing test corrections and refining your cheat sheet over and over again discovering new topics to focus on is imo the best way.
Taking many practice tests is a good idea since there's always something to learn a little bit more about. Reading textbooks is fine for the beginning of the year to learn new concepts, but at this stage, it's probably too late if you don't know the concepts well. Though, I'm not saying reading a textbook is bad; it's a great resource and great for review. Work well and good luck!
azurite>malachite>chrysocolla
Come to Pangea today all around the globe. Our formal dinners are to die for! All dishes served on tectonic plates.
Don't be Angara that all the jokes are Gondwana.
PM any rock or mineral question! :arrow:
SenseiSushi
State: PA

Post by SenseiSushi »

Thanks in advance.
In my experience nothing is "enough" for nationals. There is always more to study. Although that book is a good start, try to diversify your study material with videos, websites, and the Soinc CD's.
Userpage
2014 States: R&M-4th, Sounds of Music-5th
2015 States: Crime Busters-2nd, Green Gen-2nd
2015 Nationals: Green Generation-1st
2015 Swap Meet: Cheese Hat
2016 States: Green Gen-1st, Exp Des-5th, Scrambler-6th
2016 Nationals: Green Generation-1st
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

I have the rules for Dynamic Planet back from when the topic was Volcanoes and Earthquakes. Does anyone more experienced/knowledgable than I know/have an idea how much the topics within Earthquakes and Volcanoes will change, if at all?
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

I did E/V in C and I don't expect there will be many major changes. They will probably add some new topics, just to keep the event fresh, interesting, and challenging, but the old rules will likely be a good starting point.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
DarkZephyr
State: MN
Been thanked: 0

Post by DarkZephyr »

Does anyone know whether Dynamic Planet E/V for 2016-2017 will be one or four notesheets? It seems that the change from one to four notesheets came after E/V was last ran as a topic, but I don't know whether four notesheets is now the universal policy for DP regardless of the topic or whether E/V will be the only topic to remain at one notesheet.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

DarkZephyr wrote:Does anyone know whether Dynamic Planet E/V for 2016-2017 will be one or four notesheets? It seems that the change from one to four notesheets came after E/V was last ran as a topic, but I don't know whether four notesheets is now the universal policy for DP regardless of the topic or whether E/V will be the only topic to remain at one notesheet.
I am assuming it will be four because the information seems to be equivalent or greater than that of oceanography, but the fact that only one sheet was allowed the last time E/V was run makes me apprehensive. I have already started mine and I'm over half way finished with the first draft and It would be tough to be thoroughly prepared with only one sheet granted you could just memorize a lot of it
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

windu34 wrote:
DarkZephyr wrote:Does anyone know whether Dynamic Planet E/V for 2016-2017 will be one or four notesheets? It seems that the change from one to four notesheets came after E/V was last ran as a topic, but I don't know whether four notesheets is now the universal policy for DP regardless of the topic or whether E/V will be the only topic to remain at one notesheet.
I am assuming it will be four because the information seems to be equivalent or greater than that of oceanography, but the fact that only one sheet was allowed the last time E/V was run makes me apprehensive. I have already started mine and I'm over half way finished with the first draft and It would be tough to be thoroughly prepared with only one sheet granted you could just memorize a lot of it
Back in my day we only got one notesheet for Oceanography, so you might end up getting four for E/V as well. You kids have it so easy. :roll:
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
windu34 wrote:
Back in my day we only got one notesheet for Oceanography, so you might end up getting four for E/V as well. You kids have it so easy. :roll:
Yeah, from the looks of it, it will most likely continue being 4. There seems to have been a push sometime in the past to allow for more reference materials in events (East, didn't you also do Disease back when it didn't allow a cheat sheet?)

Return to “2016 Study Events”