Events 2016-2017

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
trentomology1999
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Remote Sensing 2016-2017

Post by trentomology1999 »

appleshake123 wrote:
trentomology1999 wrote:
Unome wrote: The trial rules being used do say "2017 ES Committee Suggested Version," so I'm thinking that'll be the best way to figure out next year's topic.
Thank you! It's going to be tough studying for this event over the summer because of the unclear topic. Might have to just stick to the basics then...
As with most scioly events, just learn anything on relating to remote sensing in any aspect.
Yeah, definitely.
2017 Season
WOSO/Regionals/State/Nationals
Astronomy: 3/2/ /
Dynamic: 1/6/ /
Hydrogeology: 1/1/ /
Remote Sensing: 1/1/ /
Rocks and Mins: 1/1/ /
Team: 4,5/1/ /
Go Grand Haven!!
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MI

Re: Events 2016-2017

Post by John Richardsim »

Just a fun hypothetical here: what if the topic for Food Science next year was Mom's Spaghetti?
log10[infinity]
Division: B
State: PA

Post by log10[infinity] »

There's vomit on his sweater already, mom's spaghetti :D
Entomology
State: CA

Post by Entomology »

So the tentative list was posted, but I'm slightly curious. On the official website, there's a section named [https://www.soinc.org/trial_events Promising Pilots] and they include trial events that may be actual events next year. Are the any favorites that actually might become an event next year? And which event would they replace?
CCA '20 Captain
Herpetology, Fossils, Boomilever, Mousetrap Vehicle
SOPomo

Post by SOPomo »

Entomology wrote:So the tentative list was posted, but I'm slightly curious. On the official website, there's a section named [https://www.soinc.org/trial_events Promising Pilots] and they include trial events that may be actual events next year. Are the any favorites that actually might become an event next year? And which event would they replace?
Fast Facts and Hovercraft are on the list right now for 2016-17. Roller Coaster would probably replace Mission Possible in 2017-18. Unsure about the rest.
arvind_r
State: GA

Post by arvind_r »

The event supervisor for Astronomy, Donna Young, told me after the event ended that next year's theme will be Stellar Evolution and Type Ia supernovae (no more exoplanets).
Chattahoochee High School Science Olympiad Co-President
2015-16:
Nationals: Game On: 7th place
2016-17:
UGA/MIT/State/Nationals
Astro: 2/14/1/
Chem Lab: 1/-/-/
Game On: 6/-/3/
Hovercraft: -/3/-/
Dynamic Planet: 2/2/2/
Rocks & Minerals: -/14/3/
reardon

Post by reardon »

Hey! First time writing on scioly! I have been apart of the high school team for 3 years and I have done my fair share of building events (6 I think). So I decided to give my 2 cents.

Electric vehicle: I liked the ability to reverse, but make sure you specify how long the track has to be to run the event. This year I saw tons of vehicles crash into the wall because they went to 12 meters then tried to reverse when the track was only 10 meters.
I personally really like the idea of an obstacle course. However, I do not want to make it where teams who can't program couldn't enter. Therefore, I would suggest the weaving course should be optional as a bonus.
As for the weave course, try and think outside the box. I think doing something other than a bucket would be fun!

Robot arm: I very much disliked that you couldn't take items out of the competition area and they wouldn't be counted for points. I felt constrained by my personal ability to maneuver the robot arm. I had a master-slave system and I would knock a couple pencils out of bounds sometimes because the out of bounds tape was so close to the pencil erasers. Or I would accidentally just tap an egg carton with a ping pong ball out of bounds. Consider making the competition area larger, but do NOT make the robots have to reach further. If you make the cartons further away teams would have to spend more money on more expensive parts. Keep the max reach distance at its current distance.
As for the actual objective of robot arm. I think you should make it so teams can't possibly get everything done in the allotted time. Make a ridiculous amount of objects you have to pick up, rotate, roll and cut time down to the point where teams cannot do everything. Also consider allowing teams to do 2 runs because I know I felt I was hurt my human error controlling the robot. And maybe make it so we can program the arm to do certain tasks (make the rules very specific about the placement of all items)?
Finally for robot arm. Please, make the rules very specific about passive and active end effectors. Can we drop them outside the competition area? Can we drop them in the competition area? Is tape allowed? Are magnets allowed?

I felt this year's rules were much better than last year. Mission possible was a mess in 2015. I appreciate the double effort to make SO a better competition for everyone so we can learn and bask in the awesome of science!
sciolyFTW_aku
State: MO

Post by sciolyFTW_aku »

The systems for next year are perfect; the nervous system being the broad, overarching system, with the endocrine system and sense organs being smaller, related systems. Man, now I have to wait a whole year until next year's nationals :(.
B-)
killer225whale

Post by killer225whale »

reardon wrote: Electric vehicle: I liked the ability to reverse, but make sure you specify how long the track has to be to run the event. This year I saw tons of vehicles crash into the wall because they went to 12 meters then tried to reverse when the track was only 10 meters.
The target distance was 11.48m. There was at least an additional 4m beyond that to the wall.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

killer225whale wrote:
reardon wrote: Electric vehicle: I liked the ability to reverse, but make sure you specify how long the track has to be to run the event. This year I saw tons of vehicles crash into the wall because they went to 12 meters then tried to reverse when the track was only 10 meters.
The target distance was 11.48m. There was at least an additional 4m beyond that to the wall.
I think killer225whale was referencing other competitions besides nationals.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage

Return to “General Competition”