Events 2016-2017

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
reardon
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Events 2016-2017

Post by reardon »

Yes windu34 I was talking about pre-season, regionals, and state. Electric Vehicle was very well run at nationals. killer225whale, I am just suggesting to have a requirement in the rules to have a total track length requirement. That way the track is standardized and always has to be lets say 14 meters at every competition. This would eliminate competitions from having a target of 9 meters with a wall that is at 10 meters that everyone runs into when they try to reverse.
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ »

reardon wrote:Yes windu34 I was talking about pre-season, regionals, and state. Electric Vehicle was very well run at nationals. killer225whale, I am just suggesting to have a requirement in the rules to have a total track length requirement. That way the track is standardized and always has to be lets say 14 meters at every competition. This would eliminate competitions from having a target of 9 meters with a wall that is at 10 meters that everyone runs into when they try to reverse.
I have talked to various national supervisors for car events, and the general consensus seems to be that there should be 5 meters after the target point on the track. This is probably just an approximation, but from the tournaments that I've been at in which national supervisors ran car events, it always seemed to be around 5 meters extra (including car events from 5 years ago). But for the regional and state levels a rule designating the total track length would be very beneficial.
Innovation =/= success
Zioly
Division: B
State: WA

Post by Zioly »

Not sure if this has already been asked, but what are rotations like for building events in Div. B? I'm kind of sad to see Air Trajectory go, as my machine has so much unfulfilled potential! Anyways, I'm sure all the building events to come will be very fun and challenging.
Bottle Rockets: 5th
Ecology: 9th
Hovercraft: 14th
Scrambler: 29th (with a failed run too  ;))
Mousetrap Vehicle
Hovercraft
Ecology
Experimental Design (or other inquiry :P)

...Yes, my profile picture is G2 apEX at the PGL Major Qual.  :lol:
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Zioly wrote:Not sure if this has already been asked, but what are rotations like for building events in Div. B? I'm kind of sad to see Air Trajectory go, as my machine has so much unfulfilled potential! Anyways, I'm sure all the building events to come will be very fun and challenging.
Air Trajectory -> Hovercraft (2017) -> Storm the Castle (may have been replaced by Hovercraft; 2019) -> Sounds of Music (2019 or 2021)
Bridges -> Towers (2017) -> Boomilever (2019)
Bottle Rocket may go to Rotor Egg Drop, possibly to a new event, but it's currently slated for a third year (plus last I heard the Executive Committee really likes it)
Elastic Launched Glider -> Wright Stuff (2017) -> Helicopters (2019)
Mission Possible -> Robo Cross (2018)
Scrambler -> Mousetrap? (2018) -> Wheeled Vehicle (2020)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
sciolyFTW_aku
State: MO

Post by sciolyFTW_aku »

Does anyone know what the subtopics will be for Chem Lab next year?
B-)
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

sciolyFTW_aku wrote:Does anyone know what the subtopics will be for Chem Lab next year?
Thermodynamics/Gas Laws. Tentative until rules are released.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
superpenguin666
State: MO

Post by superpenguin666 »

Does anyone know what the biomes for Ecology will be next year? Thanks!
2017-2018 Season: Thermo :P , Ecology, Optics
Goals: Win nats in Optics and Thermo... wait a minute... :cry:
State: Not scored/1/1
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

superpenguin666 wrote:Does anyone know what the biomes for Ecology will be next year? Thanks!
2017 Projected Event List (with predicted topics). I don't know the source of these topics, but seeing as there's not much info on the wiki about Ecology topics, I'm thinking they got it from someone involved with the Rules Committee.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

There was a significant change coming out of the rules committee meeting, which is going to start to leak out I suspect. Hence I think it best I comment on it here: it is likely that Sounds of Music will NOT be back as an event next year. Hovercraft will likely take it's place (and be both a B and C division event).

Some people are going to be very happy about this, others are going to be disappointed. The reasoning is that the committee wants to SIGNIFICANTLY revamp the rules for Sounds of Music, and we felt it best to run it as a trial first with the revamped rules. We'll be working more on those this summer.

Assuming this does happen, I've gotten commitments from many people to run Sounds as a trial event next year at their tournaments. I'm 99% sure we'll run it at the National Tournament as a trial too.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

chalker wrote:There was a significant change coming out of the rules committee meeting, which is going to start to leak out I suspect. Hence I think it best I comment on it here: it is likely that Sounds of Music will NOT be back as an event next year. Hovercraft will likely take it's place (and be both a B and C division event).

Some people are going to be very happy about this, others are going to be disappointed. The reasoning is that the committee wants to SIGNIFICANTLY revamp the rules for Sounds of Music, and we felt it best to run it as a trial first with the revamped rules. We'll be working more on those this summer.

Assuming this does happen, I've gotten commitments from many people to run Sounds as a trial event next year at their tournaments. I'm 99% sure we'll run it at the National Tournament as a trial too.
I know my team will be disappointed. I think hovercraft will be disliked for the same reason maglev was disliked; and I am certain it will be disliked, at least in C division.
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.

Return to “General Competition”