Beckendorff Junior High '14
ptkid
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Texas 2016

Post by ptkid »

So proud of my team for bringing home third place this past weekend. It feels weird to change my status to "grad" but today was our last scioly meeting of the year. Thanks to all the competitors across Texas for helping make my experience so enriching. I'm also proud of Beckendorff JH and LASA for bringing home 4th and 9th. I think it's clear that we are a powerhouse state.
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

I noticed that neither Rustin nor Boca Raton has registered for CyFalls (with very few spots left for the tournament). Any thoughts as to why? The first thing I thought when I saw the announcement for CyFalls this year was "it's too early to be worth traveling to" (October 22nd, for those who didn't see it) so that might be part of their reasoning.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
texas
Division: C

Post by texas »

ptkid wrote:So proud of my team for bringing home third place this past weekend. It feels weird to change my status to "grad" but today was our last scioly meeting of the year. Thanks to all the competitors across Texas for helping make my experience so enriching. I'm also proud of Beckendorff JH and LASA for bringing home 4th and 9th. I think it's clear that we are a powerhouse state.
I'm also from texas, and I must say, we are pretty boss at scioly. Also, ptkid, you're from Seven Lakes High School, aren't you? I'm from Seven Lakes Junior High.
Tompkins HS Science Olympiad
texas
Division: C

Post by texas »

Adi1008 wrote:
MyMomIsOkra wrote:CONGRATS EVERYONE!! I don't know about you guys, but I had a great time out there. It was great seeing so much hard work and effort pay off on so many happy faces! Congrats especially to the top 4 teams (sorry I only know division C):
4 - TAMS
3- Clements
2- Seven Lakes
1- LASA

Thanks also to the proctors, administrators, parents, and coaches, and I hope to see everyone again next year!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
In Division C, LASA got 77, SLHS got 102, Clements got 117, and TAMS got 180.

In Division B, Beckendorff got 36, Austin Homeschool got 89, Kealing got 136, and Harmony School of Excellence Houston got 166.

Last year, LASA got 71, SLHS got 91, and Clements got 98, while Beckendorff got 43 and Cinco Ranch got 100.

Congratulations to everybody who competed and good luck to those going to nationals!! :)
In Division B, we (as in Seven Lakes Junior High) got 5th. We were 11 points behind Harmony. SO CLOSE TO A TROPHY!!!
Tompkins HS Science Olympiad
Adi1008
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

Unome wrote:I noticed that neither Rustin nor Boca Raton has registered for CyFalls (with very few spots left for the tournament). Any thoughts as to why? The first thing I thought when I saw the announcement for CyFalls this year was "it's too early to be worth traveling to" (October 22nd, for those who didn't see it) so that might be part of their reasoning.
They might be thinking that it's better to go to a different out of state tournament, not Cy-falls. None of the top three teams in C go to Cy-falls stacked (except Clements last year I think, and LASA doesn't even bring like half their team) so it wouldn't be the best indicator of relative strength. Their money could be better spent going to another university invite that has better competition and more stacked teams
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Adi1008 wrote:
Unome wrote:I noticed that neither Rustin nor Boca Raton has registered for CyFalls (with very few spots left for the tournament). Any thoughts as to why? The first thing I thought when I saw the announcement for CyFalls this year was "it's too early to be worth traveling to" (October 22nd, for those who didn't see it) so that might be part of their reasoning.
They might be thinking that it's better to go to a different out of state tournament, not Cy-falls. None of the top three teams in C go to Cy-falls stacked (except Clements last year I think, and LASA doesn't even bring like half their team) so it wouldn't be the best indicator of relative strength. Their money could be better spent going to another university invite that has better competition and more stacked teams
As a competitor from Boca, Ill share our reasoning. We went to Cyfalls last year because it was an early tournament (Nov 3 I think) that was relatively competitive. That was pretty much the only reason we went. We are going to the Cornell invite instead of cyfalls because they moved their tournament date to earlier in the season (dec 3) and we felt a little rushed with the builds for cyfalls.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

windu34 wrote:As a competitor from Boca, Ill share our reasoning. We went to Cyfalls last year because it was an early tournament (Nov 3 I think) that was relatively competitive. That was pretty much the only reason we went. We are going to the Cornell invite instead of cyfalls because they moved their tournament date to earlier in the season (dec 3) and we felt a little rushed with the builds for cyfalls.
Everything feels rushed at the cyfalls invite, especially the builds. I really don't understand their reasoning in pushing it into October, but the school's schedule is probably already full up for November weekends. It was always nice to go through the competition process and get a dry run before the season really gets underway, but it's never really been a great indicator of long term team performance...
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

iwonder wrote:
windu34 wrote:As a competitor from Boca, Ill share our reasoning. We went to Cyfalls last year because it was an early tournament (Nov 3 I think) that was relatively competitive. That was pretty much the only reason we went. We are going to the Cornell invite instead of cyfalls because they moved their tournament date to earlier in the season (dec 3) and we felt a little rushed with the builds for cyfalls.
Everything feels rushed at the cyfalls invite, especially the builds. I really don't understand their reasoning in pushing it into October, but the school's schedule is probably already full up for November weekends. It was always nice to go through the competition process and get a dry run before the season really gets underway, but it's never really been a great indicator of long term team performance...
I thought it was great for my study events and if I had only been working on one or two builds (instead of 3) I think it could have gone better
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage

Return to “2016 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”