Florida 2016

Fluorine
Division: Grad
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Florida 2016

Post by Fluorine »

Have Raw Scores here if anyone wants!! (Note Air Trajectory scores were removed due to "scoring issues")
Attachments
2016 FSO State (state) Results.xlsx
(120.27 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
Alumni of FAUHS SO | Logistics Direcotor @ Cornell Scioly
Wind Power, Anatomy, Invasive Species, Materials Science, Optics, Entomology,
 Cell Biology, Fossils, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling
Fluorine

Post by Fluorine »

Florida State Tournament Schedule is out!

I am not very happy with this schedule :( . For some reason, they thought that putting two ID events at the same time slot would be a good idea. I understand that they are in different categories (geology/life sciences) but they involve very similar skills. I can not be the only person who has put significant effort into specializing in ID events uhhhh. Guess I will have to pick up something else to do at states then.....
Attachments
Schedule Division C.pdf
(108.68 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

Fluorine wrote:Florida State Tournament Schedule is out!

I am not very happy with this schedule :( . For some reason, they thought that putting two ID events at the same time slot would be a good idea. I understand that they are in different categories (geology/life sciences) but they involve very similar skills. I can not be the only person who has put significant effort into specializing in ID events uhhhh. Guess I will have to pick up something else to do at states then.....
I am a little surprised they did this. The florida state director is pretty involved in scioly nationally (presented me with one of my national medals) so I would suspect the florida state schedule is quite similar if not the same as the national schedule. Not a problem for me specifically, but still a problem in general...
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Fluorine

Post by Fluorine »

windu34 wrote:

I am a little surprised they did this. The florida state director is pretty involved in scioly nationally (presented me with one of my national medals) so I would suspect the florida state schedule is quite similar if not the same as the national schedule. Not a problem for me specifically, but still a problem in general...
Still a bit confused in the schedule decisions. Microbe mission and ecology in the same block feels just weird to justify too. I'm debating on asking the director directly about his motivation in changing the schedule so much.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Fluorine wrote:
windu34 wrote:

Still a bit confused in the schedule decisions. Microbe mission and ecology in the same block feels just weird to justify too. I'm debating on asking the director directly about his motivation in changing the schedule so much.
The only possibility I can think of is that it has to do with event supervisor availability, but it doesn't look like it from the schedule. Just be glad your schedule comes out so early; almost no states have a schedule out this early. Here in Georgia it's considered unusual to get a schedule more than four weeks before the tournament date.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Fluorine

Post by Fluorine »

Spoke to the director and he agreed that the microbe mission and ecology conflict was problematic. So it has been changed in the schedule!! Was actually a bit surprised he even replied and then changed the schedule. I now have this whole new respect for our state director!!

Note: No change to rocks and minerals/invasives conflict since they are in separate event committees
Verdigris
Division: C

Post by Verdigris »

So apparently, Hydrogeology is being replaced with Awesome Aquifers at the State level. Not quite sure why, but anyway, do any of you have experience with AA?
Verdigris - green of Greece (Lake Nona High)
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
JonB
Coach
Coach

Post by JonB »

Verdigris wrote:So apparently, Hydrogeology is being replaced with Awesome Aquifers at the State level. Not quite sure why, but anyway, do any of you have experience with AA?

This is true. If you want to know why (and your team is registered with the state already) then your coach received an email about the reason(s). Ultimately, this change avoids future issues within Florida and is in everyone's best interest.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

JonB wrote:
Verdigris wrote:So apparently, Hydrogeology is being replaced with Awesome Aquifers at the State level. Not quite sure why, but anyway, do any of you have experience with AA?

This is true. If you want to know why (and your team is registered with the state already) then your coach received an email about the reason(s). Ultimately, this change avoids future issues within Florida and is in everyone's best interest.
Just wondering; are you willing to (or able to) tell us the reason?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
JonB
Coach
Coach

Post by JonB »

Unome wrote:
JonB wrote:

Just wondering; are you willing to (or able to) tell us the reason?

The group that was responsible for creating the exam material last year did not shown that they can produce a high-quality exam along with the fact that having access to a computer lab is not always possible within the state. That is the summary of what I know but I am not completely "in the know". It was decided to run Awesome Aquafers as a C division event in its place.

Return to “2016 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”