Need help with braking

nitroignika
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Need help with braking

Post by nitroignika »

Hello all,

So, I have been doing research on electric vehicles and it has been going well so far. I only have one thing which I am still clueless about and that is braking. I know nothing of braking or how I can do it. Does anyone have any good resources on braking or is anyone a good resource for breaking?

Thanks
~nitroignika
~:33
~ABRHS 2020
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Need help with braking

Post by windu34 »

nitroignika wrote:Hello all,

So, I have been doing research on electric vehicles and it has been going well so far. I only have one thing which I am still clueless about and that is braking. I know nothing of braking or how I can do it. Does anyone have any good resources on braking or is anyone a good resource for breaking?

Thanks
Check out the electric vehicle wiki page. Basically you can either go mechanical (wingnut) or electrical (using the motor)
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
HandsFreeCookieDunk
Division: C
State: PA

Post by HandsFreeCookieDunk »

Thanks
As long as you're using a microcontroller, you're best off using the program to brake rather than engineering a mechanical system. You can be much more precise.
RJohnson
State: OH

Post by RJohnson »

Definitely agree that the best way to go is with microcontroller and optical encoder. Out of curiosity, where did people get their optical encoders from, or did you make them?

Thanks
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

RJohnson wrote:Definitely agree that the best way to go is with microcontroller and optical encoder. Out of curiosity, where did people get their optical encoders from, or did you make them?

Thanks
Yeah I fabricated mine in our schools optics lab :lol:
JonB
Coach
Coach

Post by JonB »

windu34 wrote:
RJohnson wrote:Definitely agree that the best way to go is with microcontroller and optical encoder. Out of curiosity, where did people get their optical encoders from, or did you make them?

Thanks

UCF has a great Optics program (truthfully) if you are interested.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

JonB wrote:
windu34 wrote:

Thanks

UCF has a great Optics program (truthfully) if you are interested.
Thanks coach
nitroignika

Post by nitroignika »

HandsFreeCookieDunk wrote:

Thanks
As long as you're using a microcontroller, you're best off using the program to brake rather than engineering a mechanical system. You can be much more precise.
Alright thanks for the advice and I will use this for my build but I know nothing about microcontrollers, optical encoders, and how to program them. So does anyone have an resources for where I can read into this a little bit more and maybe somewhere I can see builds using a microcontroller and an optical encoder?

Thanks
~nitroignika
~ABRHS 2020
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

nitroignika wrote:
HandsFreeCookieDunk wrote:

Thanks
Alright thanks for the advice and I will use this for my build but I know nothing about microcontrollers, optical encoders, and how to program them. So does anyone have an resources for where I can read into this a little bit more and maybe somewhere I can see builds using a microcontroller and an optical encoder?

Thanks
My electric vehicle from nationals is on the "best of nationals" page on the wiki as well as youtube. There are plenty of intro to Arduino programming books online as pdf's as well as at your local university library
nitroignika

Post by nitroignika »

Thanks, will do
~nitroignika