bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Wind Power B/C

Post by bernard »

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
depo1213
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wind Power B/C

Post by depo1213 »

Are there any changes from last years rules rn this years rules.
0ddrenaline
State: MI

Post by 0ddrenaline »

depo1213 wrote:Are there any changes from last years rules rn this years rules.
The blade can't extend behind the CD this year.
depo1213

Post by depo1213 »

The length of the blade and the amount of resistance is still the same?
soyuppy

Post by soyuppy »

depo1213 wrote:The length of the blade and the amount of resistance is still the same?
blade length remain the same for div B and C . but Resistance changed: 5 Ohm to 20 Ohm range load
Scoring change as well. Only voltage reading is used. No more Power calculation. Low Speed and High Speed voltage is treated indendepently
soyuppy

Post by soyuppy »

I'm somewhat surprise to see the dimension remain the same. Having seen repeated buil events in the past, construction dimension and parameter always changed to ensure that no old model from previous years are used. Example: ELG change the min length wing span dimension when it returned for another year. Bottle Rocket went from 2-liter to 1-liter bottle.
Guess we'll have to trust the honor system here that no one will try to reuse their blade :)
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

soyuppy wrote:I'm somewhat surprise to see the dimension remain the same. Having seen repeated buil events in the past, construction dimension and parameter always changed to ensure that no old model from previous years are used. Example: ELG change the min length wing span dimension when it returned for another year. Bottle Rocket went from 2-liter to 1-liter bottle.
Guess we'll have to trust the honor system here that no one will try to reuse their blade :)
The rules committee thought about this. It'll be really hard for most teams to reuse old blades as a result of the new prohibition on anything being behind the plane of the CD. Almost every design we saw had SOMETHING extend a bit backwards.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
HandsFreeCookieDunk
Division: C
State: PA

Post by HandsFreeCookieDunk »

chalker wrote:
soyuppy wrote:I'm somewhat surprise to see the dimension remain the same. Having seen repeated buil events in the past, construction dimension and parameter always changed to ensure that no old model from previous years are used. Example: ELG change the min length wing span dimension when it returned for another year. Bottle Rocket went from 2-liter to 1-liter bottle.
The rules committee thought about this. It'll be really hard for most teams to reuse old blades as a result of the new prohibition on anything being behind the plane of the CD. Almost every design we saw had SOMETHING extend a bit backwards.
Really? My team just attached our blades to the front of the CD, and I assumed that was what most other teams did too. Is this not the case, or are you referring to backward deflection now being illegal?
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

HandsFreeCookieDunk wrote: Really? My team just attached our blades to the front of the CD, and I assumed that was what most other teams did too. Is this not the case, or are you referring to backward deflection now being illegal?
Yes really. There were 3 things we noticed: 1. teams would punch holes in the CD to thread string or something through to secure the blades, 2. teams would use tape and wrap the tape around the back edge of the CD, 3. the blades would be designed so that due to their pitch they naturally ended up behind the plane of the CD.

If you didn't do any of these, congrats as your blade meets the new specs.

Regarding backward deflection during operation, that's ok. The rule change refers to 'when initially mounted'.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Fibonacci924
State: MN

Post by Fibonacci924 »

*When your old blades fit the new rules* :D Too bad Wind Power is competitive at my school...
"Truth is like poetry. And most people *butterfly* hate poetry."- Overheard in a Washington DC bar.

Always remember: P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney.

Two time member of the Eternal Order of the Assassinators

Return to “2017 Lab Events”