State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Forensics C

Post by bernard »

Forensics Wiki
Forensics Test Exchange 2017
Past Threads: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Past Question Marathons: 2015, 2016
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Forensics C

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

I got my rules, and there are two changes. One is that they replaced cat and dog hair with cow and squirrel hair. The other is that we are no longer allowed a binder :cry: and can only bring five double sided sheets of paper.
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:no longer allowed a binder
IMO you should be celebrating. It means event sups are less likely to ask random off-the-cuff fact-based questions, plus five sheets is (in my limited experience) more than enough for any event.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 »

Unome wrote:
IMO you should be celebrating. It means event sups are less likely to ask random off-the-cuff fact-based questions, plus five sheets is (in my limited experience) more than enough for any event.
Ah, well. Suppose that's better than a single cheat sheet from a couple years ago. Meanwhile, cow and squirrel hair...anyone got any pictures on that?
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!
Panda Weasley
Division: C

Post by Panda Weasley »

daydreamer0023 wrote:
Unome wrote:
Ah, well. Suppose that's better than a single cheat sheet from a couple years ago. Meanwhile, cow and squirrel hair...anyone got any pictures on that?
I was so confused when I heard they switched those two hairs. I guess not everyone has easy access to cows and squirrels. :lol:
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Panda Weasley wrote:
daydreamer0023 wrote:
Unome wrote: IMO you should be celebrating. It means event sups are less likely to ask random off-the-cuff fact-based questions, plus five sheets is (in my limited experience) more than enough for any event.
I was so confused when I heard they switched those two hairs. I guess not everyone has easy access to cows and squirrels. :lol:
There are pictures on google images. I haven't looked up how hard it is to get them, but I think there's a good chance we won't see them until MIT or nationals.

sciduck
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MN
Been thanked: 0

Post by sciduck »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
Panda Weasley wrote:
daydreamer0023 wrote: Ah, well. Suppose that's better than a single cheat sheet from a couple years ago. Meanwhile, cow and squirrel hair...anyone got any pictures on that?
There are pictures on google images. I haven't looked up how hard it is to get them, but I think there's a good chance we won't see them until MIT or nationals.
Haha, it took me weeks to find squirrel and cow hairs. If you really need them I would buy squirrel brushes. Apparently every Russian artist I know has them, but you can also buy them online: http://www.dickblick.com/products/blick ... l-brushes/ https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... rrel+brush As for cow hairs, I asked the same farmers who gave me horse hair last year.
Good luck~
———————————————
SCIDUCK uses CONFUSION!
 ———————————————
daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 »

Just wondering, is salt the only powder with a cubic crystal? Silly question, I know. :P
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

daydreamer0023 wrote:Just wondering, is salt the only powder with a cubic crystal? Silly question, I know. :P
I don't think crystal shape works well for IDing powders, although I haven't tried much. I think they're extremely variable, and lack of consistency makes it hard to ID. I would think that at least KCl would also have a cubic structure, since it's very similar chemically to NaCl.

pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
daydreamer0023 wrote:Just wondering, is salt the only powder with a cubic crystal? Silly question, I know. :P
I don't think crystal shape works well for IDing powders, although I haven't tried much. I think they're extremely variable, and lack of consistency makes it hard to ID. I would think that at least KCl would also have a cubic structure, since it's very similar chemically to NaCl.
Yeah I mean considering the national supervisor's description of sodium acetate is "very fine white powder" and the sample of sodium acetate we had at our school was medium-sized clear crystals, I'd say really don't rely on the physical appearance of the powder as a key identifier. There are plenty of other ones you can use that are far more robust.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!

Return to “2017 Lab Events”