bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Scrambler B

Post by bernard »

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Gigaplayer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scrambler B

Post by Gigaplayer »

are we allowed to tape the egg to the machine
SenseiSushi
Division: C
State: PA

Post by SenseiSushi »

Gigaplayer wrote:are we allowed to tape the egg to the machine
The event supervisor should supply you with tape to attach the egg to your vehicle.
Userpage
2014 States: R&M-4th, Sounds of Music-5th
2015 States: Crime Busters-2nd, Green Gen-2nd
2015 Nationals: Green Generation-1st
2015 Swap Meet: Cheese Hat
2016 States: Green Gen-1st, Exp Des-5th, Scrambler-6th
2016 Nationals: Green Generation-1st
Zioly
Division: B

Post by Zioly »

I'm a little confused by the bucket that's supposed to be in the center of the track's length.

I do know it is supposed to be in the middle of the track's variable length, meaning, the run distance, but is the bucket also in the middle of the track's 2 meter width?
Does the bucket entail a bonus if we go around it, or is it a mandatory component of the track, so that all competitors will have to steer around it? Finally, if it is an optional bucket bonus, similar to Air Trajectory's bucket shot (aahh, Air Trajectory), would the bucket be removed if not being attempted?

And finally, how would you guys go about curving around the bucket? I'm curious to see how one would do that, and accurately stop at the center of the TB.
Bottle Rockets: 5th
Ecology: 9th
Hovercraft: 14th
Scrambler: 29th (with a failed run too  ;))
Mousetrap Vehicle
Hovercraft
Ecology
Experimental Design (or other inquiry :P)

...Yes, my profile picture is G2 apEX at the PGL Major Qual.  :lol:
Person

Post by Person »

Zioly wrote:I'm a little confused by the bucket that's supposed to be in the center of the track's length.

I do know it is supposed to be in the middle of the track's variable length, meaning, the run distance, but is the bucket also in the middle of the track's 2 meter width?
Does the bucket entail a bonus if we go around it, or is it a mandatory component of the track, so that all competitors will have to steer around it? Finally, if it is an optional bucket bonus, similar to Air Trajectory's bucket shot (aahh, Air Trajectory), would the bucket be removed if not being attempted?

And finally, how would you guys go about curving around the bucket? I'm curious to see how one would do that, and accurately stop at the center of the TB.
C Division Scrambler a few years back had something similar you might want to read into: http://scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php? ... 7&start=30
I am a Person.
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
Kenshi Takahashi
State: CA

Post by Kenshi Takahashi »

This Energy Propulsion System appeared extremely efficient; I'm a little lost though on how it works and what the long diagonal of rubber is. Does anyone understand what's going on here?
:!: 2019 Events: Disease, Experimental, Geo Mapping, Herpetology, WIDI :!:
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Kenshi Takahashi wrote:This Energy Propulsion System appeared extremely efficient; I'm a little lost though on how it works and what the long diagonal of rubber is. Does anyone understand what's going on here?
I might understand how it works...

This is a spring launcher, and the rubber is the spring. It starts relaxed (to follow rules), and is stretched as the mass falls. The whole time, a bow release holds the cart in place so the string attached to the rubber that is pulling on the cart doesn't displace the cart. Finally, when the mass hits its lowest point, it triggers the bow release, releasing the string, allowing it to displace the cart.

I'll make some CAD for this launcher and cart when I have time.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Kenshi Takahashi

bernard wrote:
Kenshi Takahashi wrote:This Energy Propulsion System appeared extremely efficient; I'm a little lost though on how it works and what the long diagonal of rubber is. Does anyone understand what's going on here?

This is a spring launcher, and the rubber is the spring. It starts relaxed (to follow rules), and is stretched as the mass falls. The whole time, a bow release holds the cart in place so the string attached to the rubber that is pulling on the cart doesn't displace the cart. Finally, when the mass hits its lowest point, it triggers the bow release, releasing the string, allowing it to displace the cart.

Thank you so much for the response :)

Ah, so it is similar to this design? Except rather than a hook being lifted when the mass reaches its lowest point, the archery release is activated? If so then how/why is the rubber band placed in that way?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Kenshi Takahashi wrote:
bernard wrote:

Ah, so it is similar to this design? Except rather than a hook being lifted when the mass reaches its lowest point, the archery release is activated? If so then how/why is the rubber band placed in that way?
Yes, you've identified one difference (the hook vs. archery release). The other difference is the location of the rubber band. In mine, (oh, I should mention that I made the device in the video) the spring (rubber band) is above the vehicle. This avoids it contacting the ground (which is one of the rules).
Kenshi Takahashi

bernard wrote:
Kenshi Takahashi wrote:
bernard wrote: I might understand how it works...

Yes, you've identified one difference (the hook vs. archery release). The other difference is the location of the rubber band. In mine, (oh, I should mention that I made the device in the video) the spring (rubber band) is above the vehicle. This avoids it contacting the ground (which is one of the rules).
Oh OK. It looks like Harriton High School at the beginning of the video did something similar. I'm still a little confused on how the band displaces the cart; I think it's sorta like a catapult or slingshot?. I probably saw wrong but it looked as if the rubber band was attached to the front of the ETV. How does the elastic potential energy get converted into forward motion (KE) of the car? If the band was attached to the front of the ETV wouldn't the car lift up vertically?

What I'm trying to say is, how does the rubber band displace the cart if it's above the vehicle and pulling vertically upwards/back? Basically what would be the setup of the strings/pulleys and when does the string change from normal string to rubber band? I was a little confused about the pulley and hooking of the spring at the back wheel of the Scrambler in this design, and where the archery release would go if the location of the rubber band was different; does the release just simply clip onto the back of the ETV?

Also is there a specific archery release you'd recommend or does anything go ^^
Sorry for the endless flow of questions :) this is my first year on the event.

Return to “Scrambler B”