Flag Rule Question

OrangePanda65
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Flag Rule Question

Post by OrangePanda65 »

During the time the flag is being raised, can the flag go out of the dimensions of the device beside the top?

Ex. The flag is on the right edge of the device and it rotates up counter-clockwise. Can any part of the flag go past the right edge of the device?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Flag Rule Question

Post by Unome »

OrangePanda65 wrote:During the time the flag is being raised, can the flag go out of the dimensions of the device beside the top?

Ex. The flag is on the right edge of the device and it rotates up counter-clockwise. Can any part of the flag go past the right edge of the device?
Based on my reading of 6.c (the boundary violations penalty) so long as the flag does not detach from the rest of the device, it should not count as a boundary violation. I would suggest attaching a copy of the rules to your device somewhere, so that if an event supervisor tries to count it a a boundary violation, you can (politely) show them rule 6.c and note that your flag did not detach from the rest of the device.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Note we are not the place for official clarifications. Please see: http://www.scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=13.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
torqueburner
Division: C
State: PA

Post by torqueburner »

Unome wrote:
OrangePanda65 wrote:During the time the flag is being raised, can the flag go out of the dimensions of the device beside the top?

Based on my reading of 6.c (the boundary violations penalty) so long as the flag does not detach from the rest of the device, it should not count as a boundary violation. I would suggest attaching a copy of the rules to your device somewhere, so that if an event supervisor tries to count it a a boundary violation, you can (politely) show them rule 6.c and note that your flag did not detach from the rest of the device.
True, but there is also rule 3a, which mentions penalty points "for Device dimensions during operation" greater than the 60.0 cm cube. The penalty would appear to be 25 points, per rule 6b. Rule 5g also includes "during operation, so passing a side boundary would reduce any size bonus for that axis even if it does not exceed 60.0 cm.
DankMcIntosh
State: ID

Post by DankMcIntosh »

torqueburner wrote:
Unome wrote:

True, but there is also rule 3a, which mentions penalty points "for Device dimensions during operation" greater than the 60.0 cm cube. The penalty would appear to be 25 points, per rule 6b. Rule 5g also includes "during operation, so passing a side boundary would reduce any size bonus for that axis even if it does not exceed 60.0 cm.
You have a good point. When it comes to the final task points and the 25 point loss, it is negligible if your supervisor has it wrong.
ID - States/Nationals 2017
Meteo -/-
Invasives -/-
Fast Facts -/-
Mission Possible
2016 Events ID - States/Nats 2016
Meteorology 4/42
WIDI 1/-
Mission Possible 12/44
Road Scholar -/51
St. Joseph's Catholic School 2013-16
Kordo
Division: C
State: OH

Post by Kordo »

This is one that I could see different supervisors interpreting differently. If the raised flag is not considered in the height of the device,(5g) should the raising of the flag count against the width if it passes outside the initial measured dimensions? I personally would not count the movement as long as it was just the continuous motion of the flag or flagpole that breaks the plane as it was completing the final task and it was not somehow involved in any other transfer. This shows how hard this event is to write the rules for and try to account for all situations. Has anyone officially posted this as a question for clarification yet?
alex2004march

Post by alex2004march »

how long must the flag be?
goodcheer
Division: B
State: KY

Post by goodcheer »

alex2004march wrote:how long must the flag be?
Rule book gives specific dimensions for the flag. But if you mean flag pole, it has to be long enough to lift flag out of the top of the device.
TJ_Jadem

Post by TJ_Jadem »

that would be mean for it to count

Return to “Mission Possible B”