Rocks & Minerals: -/14/3/
JonB
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: FL

Re: MIT Invitational

Post by JonB »

arvind_r wrote:Have the trial events been decided yet?

The best I can tell is that it involves power tools and metal fasteners.

jk
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Looks like the website is back up!
Unome

Post by Unome »

Not sure whether them not posting the team list publicly is intentional or not (I've had it for a while, but didn't want to post it in case they didn't want it posted for some reason).
kenniky
State: MA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by kenniky »

If anyone's interested, Trial Events are (once again) Picture This and Quantum Quandaries.

They're also allowing people to request trial events, though, which is interesting.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

Any predictions for top 10 at MIT?
Unome

Post by Unome »

windu34 wrote:Any predictions for top 10 at MIT?
Since Luo seems to have disappeared: Team List

My Predictions:
I'm going to go to top 20, because I can 8-) also ignoring second teams and just predicting the school order

1) Seven Lakes - sure Adi keeps saying it's too early to tell, but taking first and second at every tournament so far, plus the Beckendorff 2014 class coming up, this looks about right to me
2) Troy - Because Troy
3) Solon - In case you didn't already hear about them placing third at Northview with a 9-person team
4) Mentor - They don't seem to have dropped much from last year, plus Memorial's 2013 class
5) LASA - I have no idea, but I don't really want to bet against them
6) WW-P North - Taking first and third at Islip, definitely looking strong
7) Harriton - Am not sure how much they'll drop by (although I'm fairly confident that they will drop a bit)
8) Clements - They've been doing pretty well, so no reason to put them much lower
9) Acton-Boxborough - Not seeing any signs of change, so I'll just leave them right here
10) New Trier - Figure the Marie Murphy classes coming up should hold them up for at least another year
11) Chattahoochee - Won first and second at UGA split, but hard to compare against tougher competition
12) Boca Raton - Probably going to continue to get better slowly over time
13) Columbia - According to the NY people I've talked to Columbia isn't going to really fall down anytime soon
14) Ward Melville - Looked like they're back at their 2009-2012 range again judging by Islip
15) Penncrest - Same as ever, despite PA getting more competitive they can still probably hold against some strong teams
16) Conestoga - Not sure whether they're going to improve back to their peak, but they probably aren't going to slide much (especially if Strath Haven HS follows the MS pattern)
17) Brookwood - Probably about as strong as last year, maybe stronger; hard to tell with them
18) Fayetteville-Manlius - Did not do as well as expected here last year
19) Fairfax - Did fairly well here last year, though still a ways behind the group ahead of them
20) Westlake - Same as above
Last edited by Unome on December 18th, 2016, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

Unome I don't know what results you are looking at, but WWP placed 2nd at Cornell this year and Ward Melville did not attend
Unome

Post by Unome »

windu34 wrote:Unome I don't know what results you are looking at, but WWP placed 2nd at Cornell this year and Ward Melville did not attend
Sorry; accidentally mixed up Cornell and Islip.

ohno I'm getting old
Apple_Nut
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Apple_Nut »

Unome wrote:
windu34 wrote:Any predictions for top 10 at MIT?
Since Luo seems to have disappeared: Team List

My Predictions:
I'm going to go to top 20, because I can 8-) also ignoring second teams and just predicting the school order

1) Seven Lakes - sure Adi keeps saying it's too early to tell, but taking first and second at every tournament so far, plus the Beckendorff 2014 class coming up, this looks about right to me
2) Troy - Because Troy
3) Solon - In case you didn't already hear about them placing third at Northview with a 9-person team
4) Mentor - They don't seem to have dropped much from last year, plus Memorial's 2013 class
5) LASA - I have no idea, but I don't really want to bet against them
6) WW-P North - Taking first and third at Islip, definitely looking strong
7) Harriton - Am not sure how much they'll drop by (although I'm fairly confident that they will drop a bit)
8) Clements - They've been doing pretty well, so no reason to put them much lower
9) Acton-Boxborough - Not seeing any signs of change, so I'll just leave them right here
10) New Trier - Figure the Marie Murphy classes coming up should hold them up for at least another year
11) Chattahoochee - Won first and second at UGA split, but hard to compare against tougher competition
12) Boca Raton - Probably going to continue to get better slowly over time
13) Columbia - According to the NY people I've talked to Columbia isn't going to really fall down anytime soon
14) Ward Melville - Looked like they're back at their 2009-2012 range again judging by Islip
15) Penncrest - Same as ever, despite PA getting more competitive they can still probably hold against some strong teams
16) Conestoga - Not sure whether they're going to improve back to their peak, but they probably aren't going to slide much (especially if Strath Haven HS follows the MS pattern)
17) Brookwood - Probably about as strong as last year, maybe stronger; hard to tell with them
18) Fayetteville-Manlius - Did not do as well as expected here last year
19) Fairfax - Did fairly well here last year, though still a ways behind the group ahead of them
20) Westlake - Same as above

I'm not sure where you saw that Solon had a 9 person team at Northview but they had 2 teams competing. Solon also finished 2nd not 3rd.
Last edited by Apple_Nut on December 21st, 2016, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “2017 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”